Mini Truck PS Play (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, I have a minitruck PS setup, and there is a bit of play in the box, although no leaking (that is obvious anyway). As far as I can tell the adjustment to tighten up the play is on the left side (facing the engine block). I've tried tightening up that screw without much luck.

Is the box toast? I know they can be rebuilt, but will this help with extra play; I understand there will be a little bit of play, but I'd like to minimize it if possible.

Anyone know of someone who rebuilds these? or a reputable source to purchase a rebuilt unit?

Oh, and I guess I should say that I've rebuilt the center arm, all new tie rod ends, new steering dampener, etc.

Thanks everyone!

Hi all, I have a minitruck PS setup, and there is a bit of play in the box, although no leaking (that is obvious anyway). As far as I can tell the adjustment to tighten up the play is on the left side (facing the engine block). I've tried tightening up that screw without much luck.

Is the box toast? I know they can be rebuilt, but will this help with extra play; I understand there will be a little bit of play, but I'd like to minimize it if possible.

Anyone know of someone who rebuilds these? or a reputable source to purchase a rebuilt unit?

Oh, and I guess I should say that I've rebuilt the center arm, all new tie rod ends, new steering dampener, etc.

Thanks everyone!
The guys down in Texas will do a great job for ya have had 2 done with great results.

If it's not leaking, I wouldn't send it off for repair. AFAIK, the West Texas bunch does not replace hard parts in the box, just seals. Also, read this thread: fj40 factory power steering what to do now???

I have adjusted many boxes, and the trick is to only adjust it enough to minimize the slack in the center position (where the most wear takes place) without tightening it so much that it binds when you turn the wheel full to one side or the other. I'm sure it is possible to totally wear out a minitruck PS box, but I have seen and used several with 200K+ on them that could be successfully adjusted.

What did you feel didn't go right when you attempted to adjust your box?

I probably turned the adjusting screw about a half turn and it didn't do anything to minimize the play. maybe I didn't screw it in enough and maybe the amount of play falls within tolerances. I'll try and see how much play there actually is. I think part of the issue also is having a 17" steering wheel with power steering. I'll report back with what I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom