mini disc conversion question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, I have read where if you do a mini disc conversion you will want to use the fj40 tie rod because it is much stronger than the mini, Here is my question, if I am going to use this setup for a daily driver mainly is it that big a difference to use the 40 rod instead of the mini? If so, does anyone have Fj40 steering arms they would like to part with

IMO, you want to upgrade your tie rod from stock to something stronger anyways.

Minktruck knuckle patterns are not the same as 78-older Cruiser patterns.

I always thot the minitruck was larger/stronger? (mine is custom, not sure....)

The mini truck is 21mm where the cruiser is 18mm. I have done custom rods as well. I like the custom rods better that trying to shim the cruiser TRE to fit the new taper in the steering arms.

nspctr1,
You mentioned a while back you didnt have the drivers side steering arm or tie rods for your mini axle. Its true older (pre-78?) LC steering arms wont fit the mini axle. 81 LC steering arms WILL fit the mini stud pattern! The bonus here is that there is no shimming TREs to fit the mini arm (potential source of steering slop IMO) or need for new custom (see expensive) tie rods. I just did this conversion with the 81 arms and it worked great. If you were building the ultimate rock stomper, Id say go custom and spare no expense, but then again, we wouldnt be talking about adapting mini knuckles anyway since youd probably swap in a Unimog axle or something. Its a daily driver, either mini or LC tie rods will work fine, so why not stay with what you have and save the money. Look around to find the used LC arms and save yourself some serious headache and money. My .02

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom