Mileage with new injectors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi - just completed a 10 day trip around the Grand Circle (see map below) from Los Angeles and thought I'd share my 1,532 mile MPG experience, especially as I had the injectors changed just prior to departing after a stubborn code 26 and a rough idle harrassed me for most of the fall and winter.
What a difference it makes.
I stuck +/- to the speed limits on every type of road I drove, ie 75 MPH on the I-15 and I-40, 65 MPH on Hwy 89 and so on. The rig is 100% stock, and I didn't wheel it offroad at all:eek:. But it was loaded with 4 adults, 2 kids and around 400 lbs of gear and luggage. We reached 9,000+ feet in Bryce Canyon and relied heavily on the A/C for at least a third of the trip, especially in the Mojave stretches of the 15 and 40.

Figures are in: my 80 sipped 94.6 gallons, which amounts to 16.2 MPG. I reached 18+ MPG while driving down from Bryce Canyon to Page, AZ through Kanab, but there's a significant drop in altitude so I guess it was cheating:D.

BTW, I didn't have to add any oil nor coolant as the levels stood remarkably still, which adds a final nail to the coffin of the head gasket theory (scam) of Mr. T's assessment of my rig...
Fixing the injectors cost me a good part of my tax rebate, but I think I'm back in love with my Cruiser.
Next month I'm taking on Yellowstone NP. Got to use that spanking new NPS Interagency pass!:bounce:

CAZ6GJJH.jpg
CAZ6GJJH.jpg

Very nice. Glad to hear the injectors did the trick. Pretty good mileage with the load. I would be happy.

20mpg would be nicer.:grinpimp:

Jack

Very nice. Glad to hear the injectors did the trick. Pretty good mileage with the load. I would be happy.

20mpg would be nicer.:grinpimp:

Jack

I agree, but I have a Matrix for everyday MPG satisfaction. 36 MPG on LA-PHX and back. But can't carry 6 people and a mere stroller fills up the trunk. BTW, my family was really impressed by the ride comfort of the 80, and said they felt very safe inside. It's a keeper I should say.

I get 14 mpg highway, 16mpg would be pretty nice :flipoff2:

Great to here. I will look into it. Right now it runs about like that.. But eventually the injectors will go south like the plugs, wires, and dist cap/rotor did.. So I will be doing squirters and o2 sensors..

Good to hear you and the family had a safe trip. That is the same reaction I got from my mother-in-law with regards to safety and comfort. When I first bought the LX she thought I was crazy for selling a relatively new Heep Liberty. Now she would rather ride in my truck instead of the wifes Camary.

I think I going to look into getting my injectors cleaned at some point.
dave

Silly Question - I am new the the 80 ownership world and getting my service feel wet. :meh:
What does it cost to have all new injectors installed - and is this something an average wrencher with an hour or two on the weekend can do?
Also, does anyone know off hand how much new oxygen sensors cost, quantity on FZJ, and PN?

We all want better mileage, and if I could sell my wife on an intake, I can probably sell her on this (since I have learned an intake system is no so good...):whoops:

Grolar,

Got any good "before" data under similar conditions for comparison?

Curtis

Difficult to say as I didn't keep records during a similar trip in '06, but 3,000 miles from L.A to Cabo San Lucas, Baja California and back in Spring '07 (no freeways, some mild offroading, no A/C most of the time) with the same truck resulted in just less than 15 MPG.
:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom