D'oh! HG dead - have to sell (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Today my friends is a sad day for my Cruiser addiction. Mr. T diagnosed an internal coolant leak and it looks like the HG failed. Unfortunately I can't afford the repairs and I'm willing to sell to someone who could use it for parts or would have some skills and space. My only concern being the price. What would be fair? The rig is in quite decent shape save some minor scratches (no rust), has 127,600 miles, spent its whole life in SoCal and was regularly serviced. I fabbed a box with drawers and a pantry, so it can be used as a camper accomodating two adults. There's a brand new quality stereo (see sig line).
I still have the seats that I removed when I installed the box.
The rig runs (rough when warm) and can be driven, but has a CEL and thus can't be smogged yet. Opinions, please?

EDIT: there's a happy ending to that story (see below)

Last edited:
DUDE, grolar, wow man, this sucks....and it scares the heck out of me

Yowza! Are you sure you can't DIY and skip alot of the 'while you are in there' stuff people do here when they have time and money?

DUDE, grolar, wow man, this sucks....and it scares the heck out of me

No reason to be scared, this isn't contagious:)

Yowza! Are you sure you can't DIY and skip alot of the 'while you are in there' stuff people do here when they have time and money?

I used to be quite a DIYer when I was younger and poorer. I was then living in Europe at my folks who have a big empty lot they can use as they want.

Here's the deal: I wish I was living in Utah with a scenic view from my 500 acre lot and a big driveway to store 12 cars. But I'm in an LA condo whose owner won't let anyone touch anything mechanical on the parking lot. I managed to sneak between the rules and build my rear box, but that's as good as it gets.

Grolar,

That sucks.
What year is your 80?

Regards

Alvaro

I used to be quite a DIYer when I was younger and poorer. I was then living in Europe at my folks who have a big empty lot they can use as they want.

Here's the deal: I wish I was living in Utah with a scenic view from my 500 acre lot and a big driveway to store 12 cars. But I'm in an LA condo whose owner won't let anyone touch anything mechanical on the parking lot. I managed to sneak between the rules and build my rear box, but that's as good as it gets.

If it would me I would first have a shot at finding a willing mudder with a decent garage and offer to pay for some beer(+), get your truck flat towed there if it isn't drivable and do the job with them over a weekend.

IMO you will still come out much further ahead than taking the loss on selling the truck with a major problem like this, because it's generally going to devalue the truck ~ the cost of having the work performed at the dealership anyways, and DIYing is going to save you alot of money.

If it would me I would first have a shot at finding a willing mudder with a decent garage and offer to pay for some beer(+), get your truck flat towed there if it isn't drivable and do the job with them over a weekend.

IMO you will still come out much further ahead than taking the loss on selling the truck with a major problem like this, because it's generally going to devalue the truck ~ the cost of having the work performed at the dealership anyways, and DIYing is going to save you alot of money.

I've got nothing for a garage, but I do have a covered/gated parking space. Are you lifted? If you are you wont fit in it unfortunately...:frown:

If you decide to DIY and need help I'll donate some time behind the wrench or at least sit there and watch you wrench :p:cheers:

ps- I'm 06/94 so I'm glad its not contagious

I've got nothing for a garage, but I do have a covered/gated parking space. Are you lifted? If you are you wont fit in it unfortunately...:frown:

If you decide to DIY and need help I'll donate some time behind the wrench or at least sit there and watch you wrench :p:cheers:

ps- I'm 06/94 so I'm glad its not contagious

Thanks, I appreciate the support and the offer, but I don't want to be a burden on you and my wrenching skills fall short of replacing a whole HG.
Besides, I don't know for sure if something else isn't broken/defective, the mechanic was hinting at possible injector/piston head damage. So I might just take the loss and sell it for parts, no?

That sucks! As to price- thats very tough given the circumstances.....of course if you had a driveway/landlord and you could part it out----youd certainly do much better....... but with the threat of damage other than the HG--you might be looking at some hard-lowish figures.

i saw an unlocked one go locally for 1k w/only HG damage and sub 140k....and it went very fast. Id say that would be the worst case scenario for sure. Not sure on upside in LA.

Honestly I think you are giving up too easy. You are taking a massive hit from letting a HG and an alleged 'other' problem force you to part out the truck.

Does it hurt to gauge interest and see if there are any mudders willing to help you tackle this? Post up in a regional forum and see what response you get. Maybe some mudder will take pity and help you over a long weekend; I know of you were near the Tampa area I'd tell you to come use the driveway and whatever tools you need... and I'm not even a nice guy :flipoff2:

Don't resign yourself to parting it out yet. You are throwing the baby out with the bathwater!

PM sent.

DO NOT drive it, you risk washing the cylinder wall(s) and doing more damage.

don't give up. Plus you're gonna likely lose more on selling it than it'd cost to fix. Just find a good independent and have them have a go at it.

Dan: pm'd you back.
Thanks all for the support, kind words and advice. My local mechanic calls mr T's assessment 90% BS and will try and see what he can do to save the day. FYI, stealership low estimate for that job is 4/5 grand:bang:. That hit me hard and I might have overreacted. Will keep you posted.

:beer:

Beg, borrow, barter, do dishes, windows, etc., and try to find yourself a place that can hold your truck for about three-four days. Get the parts, get the tools, hopefully some good cruiser dudes with some good karma will help you out and you will be back on the road again....

Hell, if I was in LA, LA, Land, I'd be over in a jiff and we'd have that thing back on the road in a couple of days.

Good luck.
-o-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom