Might have broken my sled (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Deerstrike at 60mph in NY while on a rosdtrip. 2 deer jumped onto the interstate and I managed to miss the first. The 2nd one took a ribcage impact over driver's headlight.

Insurance appraisal Tuesday, and hope its repairable. 2003 with 220k miles.

IMG_7001.JPG

IMG_7002.JPG

IMG_7003.JPG

IMG_7005.JPG

This is a total loss for sure, they're not going to try to repair this. They'll cut you a check for the car's value and then you can buy it back from them and fix it yourself.

Sorry to see this, but time for a steel bumper :)

Damn- looked like a clean land cruiser. There is a lot of damage there- prob will
Be over the threshold.

Just looking at the easy stuff- bumper cover/grill/head light/fender/radiator/paint and blend work. Hood might be salvageable but will prob need some attention. It all adds up then the stuff you can't see until it's taken apart. It all adds up.

Ouch!

It would be a shame to have the vehicle "totaled" over this, but it's not too unlikely.

I also like the plate.

May not be a direct comparison, but the end result does seem to justify the ARB:
Hitting a 200 lb deer with an ARB at 50 mph

Ouch, doesn't look good.

Minimum:
Grill and mounting brackets
Fog light, wiring and connectors
Headlight and sidemarker, wiring and connectors
DS front quarter and brackets (possible inner fenderwell)
Hood probably needs some work
Hood seal
Transmission cooler (possible A/C condenser damage)
Misc other
Labor to R&R parts, prep and paint

Possible front end alignment (if the deer went under)

Dont go with insurance, I bet you they are going to deem it non repairable.
Do it on your own and slap a ARB

I am 100% sure they'll total your truck out, they'll cut you a check for 8K, then give you the option of buying it back for 3K and pocket 5K.

If they dont do a total loss claim ask about diminished value

As a follow up, the vehicle sustained damage similar to Flintknapper's description. It's a total loss. If anyone is in the Rochester, NY area and is interested in the salvage, PM me.

As a follow up, the vehicle sustained damage similar to Flintknapper's description. It's a total loss. If anyone is in the Rochester, NY area and is interested in the salvage, PM me.

That sucks....sorry to hear about the rig man. We got deer down here in Central TX and I'm now seriously considering a bull-bar bumper.

If they dont do a total loss claim ask about diminished value

^^^^^^ This is important. I know you said it's a total loss in this case but... In CA (and maybe other states) if your car doesn't get covered as a total loss by your carrier and they fix it with significant costs ($10k?) it will still show as a total loss through carfax and you're screwed when trying to sell. Even without a salvaged title.

Truck looked clean, sorry for your loss.

^^^^^^ This is important. I know you said it's a total loss in this case but... In CA (and maybe other states) if your car doesn't get covered as a total loss by your carrier and they fix it with significant costs ($10k?) it will still show as a total loss through carfax and you're screwed when trying to sell. Even without a salvaged title.

Truck looked clean, sorry for your loss.
The damage estimate was approx $14k, which is what my carrier paid me for the vehicle. I'm going to take a break from the LC life for a bit and drive a nimble German import. I figure in a few years, I'll be back.

The damage estimate was approx $14k, which is what my carrier paid me for the vehicle. I'm going to take a break from the LC life for a bit and drive a nimble German import. I figure in a few years, I'll be back.

Wow they gave you $14,000 for a 2003 with over 200,000 miles that's pretty good. You'll be back

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom