Metallic, rotational 'rattle' in rear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone -

This sound seems to come up when off road. Yesterday we did Barlow Road in Oregon, and I noticed it start up again.

• I don't remember hearing it until we had been wheeling for a while (might have been, but only realized it later in the day).
  • I THINK it is coming from rear DS.
  • Goes away under power.
  • Recently did entire brake job in rear to try and get rid of it. No dice.
  • Recently greased u-joints
1993 FZJ80 on 35s.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jrWyc1eneXaAfQ6J8

Any help is appreciated!

I'd have someone outside the car try to tell you where the sound is coming from. Have you pulled the tire? Could be a rock caught in there.

I'd have someone outside the car try to tell you where the sound is coming from. Have you pulled the tire? Could be a rock caught in there.

I thought the same and there was not. I have walked next to the rig and almost had my wufe drive over me to diag. Hard to tell

After I had done brakes on the rear including the parking brake I lost a clip that went on the pin that holds the shoe, the pin was tapping the rear backing plate , took out the slack on the pin and put couple washers on the pin and no more noise

After I had done brakes on the rear including the parking brake I lost a clip that went on the pin that holds the shoe, the pin was tapping the rear backing plate , took out the slack on the pin and put couple washers on the pin and no more noise

It does sound like something hitting a heat shield or something. I just re-did my rear brakes including e-brake shoes thinking it was smething in there. All pins are clipped and seated.

Put it up in the air and figure out where it is coming from. Here's hoping it's a rock.

Look at the shield around the rear piniup . I'll bet it bent in from scraping a rock.

Pinion

Bent heat shield? I had that happen and it was hard to figure out without it on a lift with a helper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom