Metal Tech VS SSO Rear Air Spring Conversion Kits (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

Is there a big difference in quality between the metaltech vs the SSO coil spring conversion kit? Currently SSO have them on sale for $227.99, while metaltech still has them for $269. I want to go with the SSO kit due to price and save a few bucks. But wanted to check everyones opinion on them before I buy it.

Seems like the biggest difference will be that the SSO kit comes with alumnium spacers, which I do not believe I will need since I am running a 2.5 inch icon front lift with rear dobinson progressive springs. However the Metaltech kit comes with OEM Toyota 120 Prado Upper Isolators, while the SSO kit uses Energy Suspension Upper Isolators.

I’ve never heard anyone mention any quality issues with either kit.

The main difference for me is that the MT kit adds zero height to your rear lift. This important to me because I don’t want to be higher than the 2” lift I’ll get from the rear coils.

The SSO kit adds 3/4” lift plus has two spacers to either adjust for the Toyota driver side lean or add 1/2” lift for a total of about 1 1/4” per side.

Get the kit that better fits your needs in terms of price or function.

Make sure the SSO kit is in stock if you need it soon. I had them ordered and all of my suspension showed up except the coil conversion so I cancelled it and ordered the MT kit which arrived 2 days later. No complaints about the MT kit.

This sounds really frugal but I replicated the Metaltech kit for significantly less using hockey pucks and the lower spring seat from Energy Suspension. I found the OEM Toyota isolators on Amazon for ~$160 for the pair.

If you look on Amazon, Ironman is reselling the MT kit (or maybe the other way around) for $80. The picture of the items included is identical.

Amazon product ASIN B01MSCP3V4
Metal Tech GX470 Rear Coil Conversion Kit Stage 1

Instead, I bought the following:

Amazon product ASIN B0018LKZP0
Amazon.com : A&R Sports Ice Hockey Practice Puck, Black - 4 Pack : Sports & Outdoors

I drilled a hole through the middle of the pucks and bolted them to the axle with some bolts and nylon lock nuts from Home Depot. The pucks are a near-perfect fit inside of the lower spring bushing. Saved me about $80 compared to the MT kit with isolators.

Credit to this post for the details: Rear Suspension Conversion Spring question 81081 vs 81045 HELP There are also some pictures of the puck fitment there.

If you are looking to build your own conversion kit, you can also source used isolators from a junk yard and you can probably build your own kit for under $100 with used parts.

If you are looking for a new complete kit, here’s another option

The main difference for me is that the MT kit adds zero height to your rear lift. This important to me because I don’t want to be higher than the 2” lift I’ll get from the rear coils.

The SSO kit adds 3/4” lift plus has two spacers to either adjust for the Toyota driver side lean or add 1/2” lift for a total of about 1 1/4” per side.

Get the kit that better fits your needs in terms of price or function.

I wish I'd realized this about the SSO kit back when I purchased it, the rear sits a bit taller than I'd really like compared to the front, and that's likely the difference right there.

I wish I'd realized this about the SSO kit back when I purchased it, the rear sits a bit taller than I'd really like compared to the front, and that's likely the difference right there.
What kind of lift kit do you have?

I have a 2.5" adjustable lift kit from Icon, so I assume I can just adjust it as I see it fit. I also don't mind a little rake in the front.

What kind of lift kit do you have?

I have a 2.5" adjustable lift kit from Icon, so I assume I can just adjust it as I see it fit. I also don't mind a little rake in the front.

I'm running a 1.5F/1R Dobinsons lift, so I'd need to add spacers to raise the front, which I don't really want to do. It rides so nice, it will likely stay just like this.

If you are looking to build your own conversion kit, you can also source used isolators from a junk yard and you can probably build your own kit for under $100 with used parts.

If you are looking for a new complete kit, here’s another option

Which isolaters should we look for at a junkyard? I need to find some fairly quick, cant believe they are so expensive. Is this a part that is on multiple toyota vehicles or specific to 4runner, FJ or ?

Any of them will work. FJ, 4R, even the 80 series.

I bought the SSO kit without isolators and bought OEM isolaters seperately, no complaints.

Reading up on this for my Nitro 2 inch lift kit I ordered. Noticing no lean with stock set up so looked at ADOS lower coil conversion kit $80 in their description they suggest the 99-04 WJ Jeep Grand Cherokee upper isolators as a cost effective alternative. After market has those for around $11. My research has lead me to believe the toyotas which cost a min $140 a pair are only better because they are not prone to be tossed free if you are doing some extreme off roading.
My plan is mostly gentle offroad with the GX. If I can find used toyota isolators at a junkyard for cheap I will buy them but the Jeep puck style one will suit my purposes otherwise.

Re: My plan is mostly gentle offroad with the GX

Mother Nature doesn’t always comply with trail ratings and sometimes reshapes a remote trail from gentle to difficult.

My plan has been to stay in medium difficult trails or less and I’ve gotten stuck and winched out once due to Mother Nature rutting and bouldering the road more than I could handle.

I have the sso kit and have no problems. Used junkyard upper isolators.
Do you have any side photos with the SSO kit? Did you use all the spacers? And lastly which coils did you use? Just debating whether or not the added lift from the SSO will be too much with OME 885/895s.

SSO kit with no spacers. 885/895 and 1/4 top hat spacer in front:
7E0A76BE-FB93-4EDB-A65E-1BD7E0518A64.jpeg

Without the top hat spacers
7F9CAF39-1C47-405A-8E84-19E10623160B.jpeg

Tires are 255/80/17

What rear springs are you planning to run? Not sure there is a dobinson progressive/ LT spring that will net you 2.5". If you are looking to level out the truck and remove the rake then the 675V would probably work with the 2.5" front.

It seems like you have a good handle on what you are ordering. I would say the upper isolators can be found for much cheaper. Either junk yard or shopping around online. Another option is MOOG upper isolators to run airbags in the rear springs.

The metal tech conversion kit is made of steel and I'm sure the SSO, and apache are similar. Hockey pucks may work in the short term but they will probably degrade over time and dealing with rear springs again seems like more hassel than its worth.

For what its worth I went with Metal tech but wish I went with SSO to have a bit of adjustability.

I
What rear springs are you planning to run? Not sure there is a dobinson progressive/ LT spring that will net you 2.5". If you are looking to level out the truck and remove the rake then the 675V would probably work with the 2.5" front.

It seems like you have a good handle on what you are ordering. I would say the upper isolators can be found for much cheaper. Either junk yard or shopping around online. Another option is MOOG upper isolators to run airbags in the rear springs.

The metal tech conversion kit is made of steel and I'm sure the SSO, and apache are similar. Hockey pucks may work in the short term but they will probably degrade over time and dealing with rear springs again seems like more hassel than its worth.

For what its worth I went with Metal tech but wish I went with SSO to have a bit of adjustability.
Thanks for the insight. I ended up putting OME 895 (2.5-3”) coils on the SSO pucks with junkyard OEM top isolators. Yeah I didn’t want to chance it with the hockey pucks. Felt like the SSO kit was worth the extra money. Happy with the setup so far, definitely handles better than maxed out airbags. I put one spacer on the driver side and none on the passenger. Didn’t take measurements but I’m happy with the height and stance.

Not the best photo to see the height, but in case anyone else is wondering, here is how it sits with OME 885/895 on the SSO with a single spacer on driver side.
BB01801F-86B9-412A-81A0-E75C675A0EF9.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom