Mechanic Help in Harrisburg (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Friends,

I wanted to reach out to ask if anyone knows of any mechanics in the Harrisburg area, or anyone who knows these trucks well enough? I've got a 1985 LC and can't get it running properly.

Long story short, I bought the project over the summer ("ran when I parked it" story). First owner had it from 85-06, second owner was in the Navy, according to CarFax it had about 5k miles put on it between 07 and 2012, and it has mostly sat since then. I put in a new battery, new alternator, changed the fuses, and still couldn't get it going. Took it to my local shop, but ownership just changed and they aren't too keen on working on an 85 2F.

I'm in the Lemoyne area. I'm willing to have it towed, happy to invite any mechanics over- whatever I need to do to get it on the road by summer. Would love some recommendations. It was a Texas truck for the first 21 years, so rust is minimal and everything is pretty much 100% stock. Still have the smog equipment in there.

Thanks for the help guys. Looking forward to getting it up and running and finally being able to hit some trails.

Cheers.

(Photo from when I trailered it home, and the engine upon beginning)

file-4.jpeg

file1-1.jpeg

Short term/immediate plan is to get it road worthy.

I'd eventually love to build a family friendly weekend rig- throw on some OMEs, new tires, maybe drop in a H55 one day. It's a really solid vehicle and I definitely want to do it justice. Bought it summer 2019 thinking I'd have it ready for summer 2020, but life happens.

Not looking to make it a daily, but something for weekend trips. Maybe 5k a year at the absolute high end of miles.
Its a 05/85, so the h55 should drop right in, according to what I've read.
I should mention I plan on desmogging it. Not living in CA, that seems to be the best and recommended route.

Quite honestly, I'm looking to make this thing reliable for the next 30+ years.

if you keep it under 5k a year, it will be exempt from smog.....the instrument clusters are very easy to remove and replace as well..
you can register it was an antique, that removes the requirement for annual safety and smog stickers...but has some other restrictions...sorta.
reliable is very easy......mine was a daily driver for about 10 years

It's registered as an antique right now- I haven't been able to drive it so the timing/mileage restrictions haven't really been an issue yet.
I'll have to check about the spacer, but I recall over the summer checking things and thinking it would drop right in. That being said, the transmission is just something I was thinking in the future.

Good move on the antique registration... really the only restriction is that you own another vehicle that isn’t registered as an antique

It's registered as an antique right now- I haven't been able to drive it so the timing/mileage restrictions haven't really been an issue yet.
I'll have to check about the spacer, but I recall over the summer checking things and thinking it would drop right in. That being said, the transmission is just something I was thinking in the future.

if you keep it under 5k a year, it will be exempt from smog.

Antique is a different story, but if you let the inspection lapse you need a passing inspection before you're exempt again (not seeing any window stickers in the photo).

I'm in the Lemoyne area too. No experience with local shops working on LCs, though.

Antique is a different story, but if you let the inspection lapse you need a passing inspection before you're exempt again (not seeing any window stickers in the photo).

I'm in the Lemoyne area too. No experience with local shops working on LCs, though.
Thanks- I did not know this. No stickers, was bought out of state.

And it's great that there seems to be a number of folks in the area.

There is an enhanced inspection station in New Cumberland - Acme Car Compay

They mostly work with air-cooled VWs, Porsches, etc, but will do the enhanced inspection on other vehicles. Not that you need an enhanced in your case (and they don't do smog), but they're a wealth of information on "out of the ordinary" situations.

They also do trailer and truck inspections.

There is an enhanced inspection station in New Cumberland - Acme Car Compay

They mostly work with air-cooled VWs, Porsches, etc, but will do the enhanced inspection on other vehicles. Not that you need an enhanced in your case (and they don't do smog), but they're a wealth of information on "out of the ordinary" situations.

They also do trailer and truck inspections.

You only need an enhanced inspection if you are trying to get an R title, for rebuilding a totaled car.
Antique requires no state inspection or emissions, and classic requires state but no emissions. 15 year old vehicle gets you classic, 25 gets you antique. Both are permanent registration and the tag is transferable if you ever sell it (if you so choose).

YES!!!

You only need an enhanced inspection if you are trying to get an R title, for rebuilding a totaled car.
Antique requires no state inspection or emissions, and classic requires state but no emissions. 15 year old vehicle gets you classic, 25 gets you antique. Both are permanent registration and the tag is transferable if you ever sell it (if you so choose).

Or if you need an inspection for flood damaged, specially constructed, recovered theft, collectible, modified vehicles, and street rods.

Of note, "collectible" allows you to have vehicle modifications but similar to "classic" you then don't need emissions. "Antique" and "classic" need to be kept pretty close to stock - "maintained in or restored to a condition which is substantially in conformity with manufacturer specifications." I've seen that go both ways - where minor modifications go through and also where even things like tire size get scrutinized. "Modified" would be your vehicles like a 40 on an 80 chassis or such.

Further, there are some limitations to such tags:
“It is unlawful for any person to operate a motorcycle or vehicle with antique, classic, vintage, collectible or historic military vehicle registration plates for general daily transportation.Permitted use shall be limited to participation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, occasional transportation and similar uses.”Occasional transportation and similar uses are defined as no more than one day a week.

How much that actually gets checked is a question. From limited experience, I'm guessing they don't check up on it often until something else happens that triggers the question.

The tag is transferable, but there is a process and the new owner has to pay the full registration fees and the plates are reissued to them.

They do not do the four picture thing anymore.
When I did my two there was no inspection of any sort.
I just walked in handed over paperwork and walked out with a new title.

As with anything in government, go to four different people and you'll likely get five different reactions.

Which can be a benefit. If you run into resistance, wait a week, go back, and try again with someone else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom