May 2011 tech day (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Both on mud and in the meetings there has been a lot of interest in having a tech day on winching & recovery.
Just to make things clear this is not on the fine art of picking up a woman at a bar and how to deal with the hangover the next morning.
This is to go over proper techniques on how to safely use a winch and proper recovery gear to retrieve your vehicle or someone elses. Also proper and safe use of a hi-lift jack and maintenance of your equipment.
Vince has graciously volunteered to instruct this at Iron Pigs rock garden. Date to be determined.

The 21st would seem to work for me.

let me know what everyone thinks

seems like this month is busy for everyone.

Both on mud and in the meetings there has been a lot of interest in having a tech day on winching & recovery.
Just to make things clear this is not on the fine art of picking up a woman at a bar and how to deal with the hangover the next morning.

Guess I'm out then.

Getting to be the busey season I'm going to try and make it very interested in recovery tech.

Chris

Anyone who is planning on coming post up what you want to know.

i would like to know what information i need to google before i "teach" recovery.

Also bring your recovery gear!!!

How about a proper snatch using stretchy strap, winching safety, using snatch blocks, the many uses of hi-lift Jack, tow chains v straps, pulling vehicle sideways, multiple vehicle winch pulls, how to flip a vehicle back on its wheels(not volunteering my rig) theory, land anchor types and their use, use of traction aid devices like mudtracks/sand ladders, anything else I can't think of?

how about also proper maintenance of equipment, such as oiling jack, winch line, keeping electrical connections clean for winch. Proper way to wind winch line(steel and synthetic) onto winch drum.
What extra gear we might need, like spray oil for the jack if its kept outside of the vehicle, jack safety pin spares, properly rated shackles...

also maybe show how to split the load between to vehicle recovery points and using the strengths of the designs v. pulling in directions where a recovery point will be weakest.

safely attaching two recovery straps together so they're not in a permanent knot.

why you should carry a bottle jack to change a tire and not use a hi-lift jack.
The uses of suspension limiting straps when changing a tire...

differences in recovery in snow,mud, rocks, incline, decline...

Last edited:
Post up what you'd like to know--

I think we'd benefit from a discussion and demonstration of the basics to some more advanced winching techniques.

Basics, for example:
1. What comprises a basic recovery kit?
This topic is important because many of us don't have a winch, yet each vehicle is capable of conducting a "buddy" recovery.
2. When and how do you use a strap? What factors compel you to not attempt a strap pull, and resort to the winch?

Winch recovery basic:
1. How to choose a winch? What features are real performance criteria and what is just marketing?
2. What does a winch do to my vehicle electrical system?
3. What is required to perform a simple straight-line pull?

Winch recovery advanced:
1. What factors make a straight-line pull impractical?
2. What additional equipment is required to perform a more complex pull?
3. What is mechanical advantage, and how do I get some?
4. When would one use multiple winches to aid a recovery?

what about hand winching and hi lifting? For those of us winchless guys.

and a vid would be great. I can take a half hour of HD VID. I am not sure if thats enough though,

Basics, for example:
3. What is mechanical advantage, and how do I get some?

I'll bring my slide rule... :D
Seriously, all of those are good topics. Perhaps we should pick a few that are more frequently encountered by the average 4 wheeler such as going over the fine points of safely using a hi-lift, choosing and attaching to anchor points on vehicles and natural surroundings, shackles, and winch use.

Might also cover appropriate hand gestures when encountering a broken, mired J**p or R***r blocking the trail.

A short primer on spotting in order to help avoid getting stuck in the first place might be useful as well (i.e. - hand and verbal signals, what to watch for, etc.).

Yeah! and we can post it on the forum like we did with the knuckle rebuild in January! Oh, wait a minute...:hmm:

Where's that knuckle rebuild video???

:flipoff2: Its not as easy as one might think to do voice over. and I have not hade time to do it.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom