maximum flex with leaf springs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.leinster4x4.ie
howdy, how would go about getting good flex? the plan is to get the leaf on top of the axle for a start, what do i do next? longer shocks?
its a bj 70

longer springs with longer shackles can net you lots of flex and depending on how you set them up you can set most of the travel up for droop Which I have noticed helps keep things a little less tippy when at odd angles.

get longer leafsprings.....fj60/62 or 55 rear leafs rule!

longer springs with longer shackles can net you lots of flex and depending on how you set them up you can set most of the travel up for droop Which I have noticed helps keep things a little less tippy when at odd angles.

Meet Marvin: fj55 rear springs in the front, fj62 rear springs out back, 12" travel shocks f&r, 8" uptravel, 4" down, long shackles in the rear, not so long up front, both at 45 degrees, fj60-width axles SOA on outboard springs.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/hardcore-corner/432041-marvin-76-fj40.html

attachment.php

I'm going to flex it all the way out for the first time this weekend so we can measure for bump stop extensions.

Aren't 7X series leaf springs longer than 40's ? I remember the 7X series flexing much more than 4X series when SOA, but can't prove it.

Is this correct?

thanks lads, its just that we dont have the variety of stuff you do over there, there is about 10 40 series that i no about in the whole of ireland, and 1 60 series. ha

Chevy pickup truck rear springs, front and back. Articulated shackles. Your shocks will be the limiting factor for both suspension travel and articulation.

Mark...

yup if so limited with cruisers and cruiser parts grab some chevy rear springs like mark has said.

how about drop shackles? a few comp trucks that are on a budget in my area run them and they seem to go well, they keep up with the more expensive trucks. i was planning on getting a set for my 40/60 series.

Hi All:

The BJ/FJ/HJ70 use the same length rear leaf springs as 60/61/62 Series Land Cruisers.

You can "flip" the rear spring packs to move the rear axle farther back to gain a longer wheel base. Even a bit more if you re-drill the top 2 leafs in the pack before the flip.

Like has been mentioned, shock length will limit your travel. Many guys move the upper shock mount into the body tub to allow fitment of longer shocks.

Regards,

Alan

get longer leafsprings.....fj60/62 or 55 rear leafs rule!

Chevy pickup truck rear springs, front and back. Articulated shackles. Your shocks will be the limiting factor for both suspension travel and articulation.

Mark...

yup if so limited with cruisers and cruiser parts grab some chevy rear springs like mark has said.

Guys no offence but he's in Ireland... I don't think they have chevys there.

i was gonna point that out. if its anything like australia you arent going to be able to go down to the local wreckers, waltz in and pick up something off a chevy just like that. he might be hard pressed just finding a chevy.

could you pick up parabolic springs? there are a few manufacturers in that end of the world, although i think they mainly provide for landrovers.

i was gonna point that out. if its anything like australia you arent going to be able to go down to the local wreckers, waltz in and pick up something off a chevy just like that. he might be hard pressed just finding a chevy.

could you pick up parabolic springs? there are a few manufacturers in that end of the world, although i think they mainly provide for landrovers.

Really? I would have thought they would have them over there.

I know they have ford vans and jeeps. if they got some cherokees (XJ's) grab some rear leafs off of one of them.

the longer the better is mostly what it comes down to, but also the number of leafs and the thickness of each leaf are to also be taken into consideration. It may take some playing around with different configurations of leaf thicknesses and number of leafs but you can "tune" them in to your truck with a little bit of time.

howdy, how would go about getting good flex? the plan is to get the leaf on top of the axle for a start, what do i do next? longer shocks?
its a bj 70

not sure if the shock issue was addressed yet...

longer shocks or a different shock configuration is a very likely reality when you spring the leaf over to the top of the axle tube.

you may start with a basic spring over with some longer shocks (if needed) and see how you like it and if your still wanting more flex then begin to look into other leaf (longer) options.

have never seen a chevy here! ha
we have got xjs
i can get springs made from scratch but would need some sort of diagram with measurements!
i think i will go with leaf over axle with longer shocks to start with!

not sure if the shock issue was addressed yet...

longer shocks or a different shock configuration is a very likely reality when you spring the leaf over to the top of the axle tube.

you may start with a basic spring over with some longer shocks (if needed) and see how you like it and if your still wanting more flex then begin to look into other leaf (longer) options.

Yes that is likely an issue, i agree with doing the SOA and see what it does. I think you will be impressed with a properly set up shock/spring combination.

have never seen a chevy here! ha
we have got xjs
i can get springs made from scratch but would need some sort of diagram with measurements!
i think i will go with leaf over axle with longer shocks to start with!

Get on it! Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom