mating a 81 3b motor to a 78 bj40 transmission (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mike

82bj42 1st project
Threads
I trying to replace a bad motor in a 78bj40 with a good motor from a 81 bj42.
Will a 81 3b motor mount directly to a 78 bj40 transmission? If so, which year clutch, pressure plate, throw bearing and slave clutch cylinder would I use? Would any modifications be required?
Thx Inadvance

The tranny will bolt right up. Use the clutch, T/0 bearing etc from the '81

The throttle body is different and will require some monkeying with the throttle cable. It might help to turn the 3b throttle body 90 degrees or swap the one off the B as long as it seems to be as big.

I think there is something else but I can't think of it.

I should re-use the 81 clutch, 81 cover & pressure plate, 81 release bearing, and the 81 slave clutch cylinder. Everything should bolt right up and the clutch should function properly. Is there anything else I should be concerned about before I go ahead and swap the motors? Thx

the exhaust manifolds are different so you will need to use the 3B manifold and a new exhaust is a good idea, i recommend a 2 1/2" aluminized with a quiet free flowing muffler.

Should I be concerned about the motor mounts positions? Thx

Which bell housing and slave clutch cylinder should I use? Is there any difference between 81 and 77 parts? Thx

as Bruce said, all of one or the other but i suggest going with the newer parts since you will probably be able to source parts longer...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom