Master Cylinder Reservoir (Brakes) - Quick question - Is it suppose to be this loose? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I accidentally knocked it over earlier today while cleaning the engine bay and recorded this video later. It seems that I can just pull it up and out without unbolting or unscrewing or unlatching anything? Is this normal?

Thank you in advance!

Here is the video I recorded:

I don't think that should come out that easily
Agreed. Can air get into the lines thru the master cylinder reservoir if its left off or knocked over?

Yeah I guess I was more referring to that quick removal bit shown in the video. I'd be more worried about the reservoir flying off from a bump than the air intrusion lol

I'd think sitting there it wouldn't get air in like @Grandlooser said but it may when your driving and actually using the brakes...if think if it's loose could be a point for air to get in under vacuum....
Yeah I guess I was more referring to that quick removal bit shown in the video. I'd be more worried about the reservoir flying off from a bump than the air intrusion lol

Thanks guys!

I think I may just try strapping it down so its more tight somehow.

By the way, to replace the reservoir, do i need to replace the entire master cylinder as well?

Some new master cylinders come with the reservoir separated in the box but I don't think you'll be able to buy a new reservoir without a MC. You definitely won't get air in the system as a result of a loose MC but will for sure get air in it if the reservoir just falls off. As long as it isn't leaking around the seals under normal circumstances you can just throw a zip tie around it and you're good to go.

There is a set screw that holds the reservoir in place.
90149-40006
The reservoir itself is a press fit into the 2 grommets on the master, which are replaceable.
47255-16010

And brake fluid is supposed to be water clear, not brown/black.

☝☝ This guy brakes
100% OEM 80 Series brake parts, with the exception of extended axle drops using OEM parts. ABS intact and functional.
I can chirp 35s and activate ABS on dry blacktop.

100% OEM 80 Series brake parts, with the exception of extended axle drops using OEM parts. ABS intact and functional.
I can chirp 35s and activate ABS on dry blacktop.
I need to do my drops along with caliper lines. OEM/ Stainless... Luckily @NLXTACY has both :clap:

I need to do my drops along with caliper lines. OEM/ Stainless... Luckily @NLXTACY has both :clap:
I never bought into the SS braided brake line hype. I like OEM stuff. It just works.
But that is off topic for this thread.

I never bought into the SS braided brake line hype. I like OEM stuff. It just works.
But that is off topic for this thread.

I was the same. Until a stupid bubble appeared in a hose that cause a soft pedal that took forever to diagnose. It’s impossible to bubble stainless.

I was the same. Until a stupid bubble appeared in a hose that cause a soft pedal that took forever to diagnose. It’s impossible to bubble stainless.
I understand. I consider brake lines and all other rubber parts consumable items. The first thing I did when I got my LX450 was replace all the soft lines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom