Marks low range gears (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

60wag

SILVER Star
Threads
Anyone out there using Mark's transfer case gears? What do you think? Noisy or not? I'm not ready to do a dual case on my 60 but I'd like something lower than my stock gears. 3.7 diffs with 33's is great on the highway so I'm don't want to change R&P's. An H41 tranny costs as much as the Mark's gears and only gives you 1 lower gear, right? What's the best price for Mark's gears? Manafre has them, but I'd rather direct my business elsewhere (yes, I personally just had a "yea, its in stock experience with them.") TIA

Hmmm... not a popular mod I guess. Too $$$?

I met some canucks at the BHCC this summer that run them.
they due run the with the H55F, so they have a lower 1st gear to begin with. The only mod I think you have to make is clearance the transfer a bit. I don't remember what kind of ratio the give you tho.

I am using the 1.08/3.08 gearset. Yes, they are noisy SOBs. I initially had an SM420 and a 3 speed transfer. I replaced it with an NV4500 and a split case. The tranny is quieter but the transfer gear whine is now just as loud as the SM420 was, so there was no net improvement in the gear noise, but I get an overdrive and my first-low ratio is lower.

Would I do it again? For a wheeler, definitely yes, for a long distance tourer/daily driver, no.

I think the set Man-a-fre sells is the Rockhopper set from the looks of the long input gear. The Marks4WD Gearmaster set has a short input gear and is sold only through Advance Adapters and their dealers in the US.

Dave

A lot of fuss for such a small change in gear ratio in my opinion. I couldn't even pretend to be satisfied unless maybe also swapping in a SM420, H55F or NV4500. But those all involve more money and further mods. My advice...

Keep saving for Marlin's ToyBox (2.28 or 4.7) and be done with it.

I had my stock H42 and split case overhauled at the same time and my reaction the first time I drove it was "I know this sound, it sounds like the day I drove it off the lot in 1986". Classic cruiser sound. It's so quiet you don't know it's there.

Still have my stock shift patterns and high range but now I can shift all the way to 173:1, with lot's of gear ratios in between, now that makes it worth it. :D

A few details:
http://realcruiser.com/crawler/

Good Luck,

Isn't the benefit of marks gears that you don't have to move the transmission and tcase back and cut the floor out, etc?

I have them but have not installed yet.
I have heard some say they are noisy others say not, i don't care either way.
There are a few options for reduction, i wanted the reduction in high range, so that was the main attraction for me as i have the 4.7 ToyBox also.
They are listed w/pricing by Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters, give him the business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom