March Club Trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The March Colorado Land Cruisers trip will be delayed until the March 25th 26th weekend. The location on the trip will be decided at the club meeting held on March 21st. Please show up so we can get our trail schedule prepared.

David M.

At the meeting, the members present decided to go on Saturday, March 25th. The destination is a loop and some spurs on Rampart Range; 346 Hotel Gulch, 347 Missouri Gulch, 351 Fern Creek, and 327 Gove Creek. We may do additional trails based on time--324/325 and or 322 Balanced Rock Road.

Let's meet at the Alta Store in Crystola (reports are that the parking lot work has been completed). Meet between 8am and 830am. We'll drive up to Rampart Range Road (in Woodland Park) and then go west on 346 Hotel Gulch.

Weather is supposed to be decent until afternoon snow arrives. So dress appropriately, and bring boards, straps, etc. just in case.

Option for lunch--we can do the pot-luck style smorgasbord....post up if this sounds good to you!

I saw something on Facebook about Rampart Range rd being closed for mud as of Friday.

I saw something on Facebook about Rampart Range rd being closed for mud as of Friday.

Yes, there are some temporary seasonal closures, but not all inclusive. Here is the link to the USFS page. Scroll down to Exhibit D for Pikes Peak Ranger District.

Here is the map that goes with it.

FSR 300 is closed at GoG up to Mile Marker 16.92, which I think is the Rampart Reservoir.

346 (Hotel Gulch), 347 (Missouri Gulch), 348C (Marks Road), 351 (Fern Creek), and 327 (Gove Creek) are not restricted/designated in the temp closure.

To my surprise, 320 Mount Herman Road is closed, so those of us who live north Springs will have to return through Woodland Park.

I'm gonna call one of our contacts at the WP work station to verify. I'll post again tonight.

FWIW, I drove Mt. Herman Rd. to Rampart Rg. Rd. and all the way into WP on the 18th. Mt Herman Rd. was in poor shape toward the bottom (lots of exposed rock) and there was no snow until the top quarter. Rampart Rg. Rd. only had a little snow left (maybe 2") but it was a little deeper on the one side spur we drove.

At the meeting, the members present decided to go on Saturday, March 25th. The destination is a loop and some spurs on Rampart Range; 346 Hotel Gulch, 347 Missouri Gulch, 351 Fern Creek, and 327 Gove Creek. We may do additional trails based on time--324/325 and or 322 Balanced Rock Road.

Let's meet at the Alta Store in Crystola (reports are that the parking lot work has been completed). Meet between 8am and 830am. We'll drive up to Rampart Range Road (in Woodland Park) and then go west on 346 Hotel Gulch.

Weather is supposed to be decent until afternoon snow arrives. So dress appropriately, and bring boards, straps, etc. just in case.

Option for lunch--we can do the pot-luck style smorgasbord....post up if this sounds good to you!
Is the meetup at “20421 E. Hwy 24, Woodland Park, CO 80863”?
Are these trails “easy”? My trip to Predator trail was a puckerfest. I have chains but no boards. I’m relatively inexperienced but would like to go.

would I be better off leaving my snow tires on, or should I install the all-terrains?

Leave the snow tires on (my recommendation) based on USFS report that there is still snow up there where we're going.

Is the meetup at “20421 E. Hwy 24, Woodland Park, CO 80863”?
Are these trails “easy”?

Yes, that is the correct location at the cross-road of Mountain Glen Ct (across from the Bad Rock auto dealer/maintenance shop).

Yes, these are rated "easy". We may find some ruts and small ledges, but nothing a stock 4x4 cannot handle. If you get in a pinch, many of us are experienced and have the recovery tools and knowledge to help. Come join us!

Though no one has posted a reply, I'm bringing chili, chips, and salsa. I can bring cornbread muffins, but I defer to Melissa @LandLocked93 if you're coming to bring those **awesome** jalapeno cornbread muffins!!!

I have a metric ton of firewood, too, so I'll bring it as well as the propane fire pit.

I am planning to join you. I may bring a friend. I'll report back on a dish(es) if we're doing the potluck.

This is tomorrow? What’s the meet up location again? I should be there if I don’t sleep past my alarm haha.

This is tomorrow? What’s the meet up location again? I should be there if I don’t sleep past my alarm ha

This is the one on the south side of Woodland Park, down hill from Walmart, etc. at the side road named Mountain Glen Ct.

I am bringing hot dogs, buns, ketchup, mustard, and sodas.

Reactions: SAS
Not sure if I'll be able to attend, but if I do, would I be better off leaving my snow tires on, or should I install the all-terrains?
You should be good with the snows. Been up there 3 out of the 4 last weekends. 348C had the only pucker moment, the last 200yrds to the top of the ridge. Full throttle or you're sliding backwards for at least 100yrds.
Looks like there may have been some snowfall tonight, but that shouldn't add difficulty. And the ice sheet may have melted since last weekend, so may also be a non-issue.

It will just be myself this run. Melissa's working and I didn't see this till after the government shut off my gas stove for the night. So no muffins.
But critically, this week's been busy so no clean tires either.:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom