Advice for Trip to Colorado (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Mudders!

I’ve had Colorado on my bucket list for a long time and am finally planing a trip this summer. I’m looking for a little advice and the mud community has always been super helpful.

I want to focus on the Alpine Loop area but maybe that’s just because I don’t know any better. I want to experience beautiful scenery, do some of the famous passes and check out the historic mining towns. Open to suggestions on trails, camping, and motels.

I’ll have a week off and planning on coming in mid August. Is that a good time to come?

I will be driving my third gen 4runner with a mild lift, 32” tires, a rear locker, and no armor. I’ve been off roading for almost 30 years so I have good experience.

Any advice is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Seth

That should be an excellent time to come. All trails should be open with respect to snow at that time of year.

Alpine Loop will be an excellent choice. But also consider including Imogene Pass and Yankee Boy Basin in that trip. Ouray is a great central location and the hot springs are great.

There are a lot of trails in Colorado for 4 wheel drives (thank you to all of the gold miners) There are so many trails you need to decide on an area to concentrate on. Your choices are Central (I70 South to New Mexico), Northern (I70 North to Wyoming), Southwest (Durango, Ouray, etc).

Here is a title for an excellent book for Colorado trails. Guide to Colorado Backroads 4-Wheel Drive Trails by Charles Wells. I believe that he has a book for each area.

Here is an Amazon Link https://www.amazon.com/Northern-Col...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583726553930439&psc=1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom