March Club Trip (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great day today! Thanks all for coming. I’m just now seeing that this was a potluck event. That explains why everyone had such great food. 🙂
Great people, great weather, crappy wind.
It was awesome get to play with the new 4Runner. Super impressed with that thing.

I had a great time! Thanks again for letting me join.

I've got a question for those of you with lockers - were you locked or unlocked through those banked turns?

Reactions: SAS
I've got a question for those of you with lockers - were you locked or unlocked through those banked turns?

I'll venture a guess and say not locked. The exception being Steve, whose locker is the "automatic" type (meaning it works with internal clutches that engage when torque introduces spin/variation between two axles' rotation).

Lockers generally fall in two categories--selectable, and non-selectable. Selectable lockers include electric, air, and cable-operated engagement mechanisms.

Great day today!

Yes, indeed!

20230325_102424.jpg

20230325_101457.jpg

20230325_092423.jpg

I had a great time! Thanks again for letting me join.

I’m always locked in the rear unless turning slow corners on pavement then you’ll hear the *click click click* of the locker turning disengaged. This type of locker will get you up a hill and over tough trails with large rocks but it HATES snow! Both wheels spin. With AWD you won’t have that. With a selectable locker (like arb air or Eaton e locker) you get the choice of when to use the locker. This can be handy in snow depending on situation. I usually don’t drive in snow but have been looking to put an air locker in for a while I just got to tell the tax man to quit taking my money! Lol. I had a great time even though half my driving was sideways and white knuckled haha.

I’m always locked in the rear unless turning slow corners on pavement then you’ll hear the *click click click* of the locker turning disengaged. This type of locker will get you up a hill and over tough trails with large rocks but it HATES snow! Both wheels spin. With AWD you won’t have that. With a selectable locker (like arb air or Eaton e locker) you get the choice of when to use the locker. This can be handy in snow depending on situation. I usually don’t drive in snow but have been looking to put an air locker in for a while I just got to tell the tax man to quit taking my money! Lol. I had a great time even though half my driving was sideways and white knuckled haha.
That's why I was asking - I've read that lockers can make things worse in the snow, but I always take internet "wisdom" with a grain of salt, and so I want to hear from people who actually have them. I have a limited slip in the rear (which is alleged to fare better than a locked diff in the snow) and seemed to fare no better or worse than the rest.

I do think I have all the data I need on autolockers after yesterday. :)

@SAS i think I tagged you in a couple things on Instagram. I’m assuming Coloradolandcruisers_tlca. ? If you are on Instagram I’m at fzj80landcruiser.

Last edited:
Reactions: SAS
Steve, I wish I had gotten video of that crab walk. It looked absolutely terrifying!

Hey everyone. After our trip I’ve been wanting to hit some of the areas up there that allow target shooting. Anyone know of a good place up there to go? Thinking about heading up there tomorrow or Thursday. Thanks I’m advance.

Hey everyone. After our trip I’ve been wanting to hit some of the areas up there that allow target shooting. Anyone know of a good place up there to go? Thinking about heading up there tomorrow or Thursday. Thanks I’m advance.
The shooting areas seem to be along 300, North of 320. There are a couple more secluded spots at the 300 end of Balanced Rock Road. There are more options than these, but that's the extent of the ones I can cite.

Weren't you behind me? I crabbed a good bit around all those banked turns.
The center diff was locked but the axles were open. But even then, when both wheels on an axle turned under power, crabbing was the result regardless.

And as to using lockers in the snow, my experience has been that snow makes little difference as to when I use them.
If I want all 4 wheels to turn under power, and I'm not going downhill or off-camber, lockers go on if I feel I need them.
W/o question they go off on steep downhills or in slippery off-camber situations.
This is also partly due to having learned how well (or not) the viscous coupling acts as a center diff lock before it gives up (slips).
And having the mod that allows full control over the lockers regardless of hi or lo range is also very helpful.

There are actual ranges of varying distances off Hwy 67 (not far from the buildings in the pics above), on the West side. Just past the Rainbow Trout whatever on the East side of 67. I don't think there is a sign at the road for them, but off the road about 100 yrds or so there are signs.

Weren't you behind me? I crabbed a good bit around all those banked turns.
The center diff was locked but the axles were open. But even then, when both wheels on an axle turned under power, crabbing was the result regardless.

And as to using lockers in the snow, my experience has been that snow makes little difference as to when I use them.
If I want all 4 wheels to turn under power, and I'm not going downhill or off-camber, lockers go on if I feel I need them.
W/o question they go off on steep downhills or in slippery off-camber situations.
This is also partly due to having learned how well (or not) the viscous coupling acts as a center diff lock before it gives up (slips).
And having the mod that allows full control over the lockers regardless of hi or lo range is also very helpful.
I was behind FJ Moneypit on the way out, but I don't remember who I was behind on the way in - could have been you, but I'm new to the site and not sure who you are IRL. Regardless, I appreciate the details. What's the viscous coupling you referred to?

What's the viscous coupling you referred to?
I should have noted this is 80 series specific...on '93 and newer models the transfer case has what's called a viscous coupling. For lack of a better explanation (and anyone jump in to correct me) it's purpose is to 'manage' the full-time 4 wheel drive system of the 80, allowing slippage between the front and rear outputs of the t-case in everyday driving situations. It maintains cohesion of the front and rear outputs until such time that one output has (or requires) more torque than the other output. Then it allows the junction to slip, reducing drive line bind. It's an automatic thing and requires no input from the driver.

Naturally there are mods which remove the coupling. And I think it has to come out if one employs the part-time 2wd mod (switchable 2wd/4wd)

edit: oh, and Sam I am.

I should have noted this is 80 series specific...on '93 and newer models the transfer case has what's called a viscous coupling. For lack of a better explanation (and anyone jump in to correct me) it's purpose is to 'manage' the full-time 4 wheel drive system of the 80, allowing slippage between the front and rear outputs of the t-case in everyday driving situations. It maintains cohesion of the front and rear outputs until such time that one output has (or requires) more torque than the other output. Then it allows the junction to slip, reducing drive line bind. It's an automatic thing and requires no input from the driver.

Naturally there are mods which remove the coupling. And I think it has to come out if one employs the part-time 2wd mod (switchable 2wd/4wd)

edit: oh, and Sam I am.
Hi, Sam. That's interesting, I didn't know that's how these worked. Where is the center diff in the driveline, then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom