Marathon seat covers - Beware! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Granted, I purchased these seat covers slightly used so they have been installed and removed a couple of times, when I received them the edges were still relatively clean cut.

The cut outs for the seat controls and the headrest are simply "thread cut" the edges are not treated at all!!!!!!!!

So, see pictures below of what will happen over time. I reached out to Marathon and their customer service was responsive but poor. They insisted several times that the cut areas should not be tucked under the plastic molding and that is why the cut outs began fraying on me. I tried reasoning with the representative but they insisted so I escalated to a supervisor who then admitted that they are supposed to be tucked under the plastic trim. When I asked them about the fraying they could not answer other than they don't warranty for fraying (besides I was not original purchaser and the OP's receipt I had was just outside the warranty period). I literally received the following response from them and I did not wash the covers (this is copied from the email):

"Thank you for sending images and the original order information. We have a hundreds of older vehicle patterns designed the same way with raw edge cutouts that generally tuck under a plastic panel that houses seat controls, the headrest holes are made with the same design. Unfortunately the covers are no longer under warranty and have changed from the original owner, our warranty does not cover fraying caused on raw edges and washing. If one of the hook Velcro straps catches on to the not sealed fibers during washing, it will pull on it and cause the fibers to pull out. Our suggestion is to cut the frayed fibers short and heat seal them if you wish to keep the fibers from coming unraveled. Cordura is fire retardant and it is safe to use a flame to seal the loose fibers."

I am all about purchasing US made products, even at a premium but it needs to be manufactured properly, relying on your customers to heat seal edges they don't want to unravel is ludicrous!

image1 (7).jpeg
image3 (2).jpeg

Sorry you had a bad experience with them. That being said it sucks buying 2nd hand because for all you know the previous owner did something janky.

My marathon seat covers are 7 years old and going strong without the issues you posted.

Have you reached out to marathon? Or just posting your bad experience here?

Trim the material, hit it with a bic lighter. Problem solved. Second hand/used isn’t a reason to post, in my opinion, negatively. I have a few sets and have not removed them yet. Sorry for your purchase and experience.

Easy fix as described above or find a person (wife, GF, Grandmother, Dylan) who knows how to sew (or learn yourself). All the women in my family know how to sew (I can replace buttons). It's a valuable skill that really comes in handy.

Here's one link (Bud Lite not included):

Thanks for the input, I had it stitched up by the wife today and it works. The point of my post is just to raise awareness of how these covers are finished. I would have never purchased these knowing this! I think they will work once but will bet anyone a pint if they are removed, or god forbid washed then those cut thread areas will unravel like mine above. It would be so straight forward to heat seal these edges in manufacturing. I am dumbfounded that Marathon doesn’t do this, esp. with a product touted to be made in USA at a price point north of $300!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom