Manual Seat Slider Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone tried swapping the 91-92 seat sliders over to leather seats? I would love to get some cloth manual front seats but all the ones I find are destroyed. I was then thinking that I could probably snag some on the cheap and if I could swap over sliders than I fix both leg room and broken gears at the same time.

I really wish someone would just make a bolt in slider with seat belt provision so we can get some decent aftermarket seats. I know Corbeau does but I would rather run some Recaro's or Sparco seats. I also seem to remember someone using the Corbeau stuff and was not happy with them. You would think someone would step up, I don't think I have ever seen an FJ80 seat in person that wasn't ripped or broken.

I'll have to show you my 93's brown cloth then. 250k and no wear. I can't speak for the 91-92 models, but I have never seen a post 93 with cloth that had any rips, though I have only seen 2.

For some reason I only thought the cloth was a 91-92 thing. I will keep my eyes open for all years then, it would be nice to find some local.

They are pretty rare. I looked for some time for mine. Funny cloth, manual seats were higher on my list than lockers. The later cloth looks different than the 91-92 models. I have seen them pop up in the classifieds from time to time too.

Someone took some 91-92 ones and had them recovered to match the leather in the rest of the truck on a later one. I believe they said it came out to be less than fixing all the broken power stuff that they had already fixed a couple of times.

Do you feel those cloth seats gave you some decent leg room?

I recall seeing cloth seats in cruiser parts. net list of parts. mine are also in great shape with no tears in my 93 with 220k. I'm short so i have no issues but my tall friend with a 96 sais the legroom is still the same in both trucks

I dont know, I haven't driven leather ones enough to know but I have no issues...I'm 5'11" It wasnt the legroom that swayed me. It was that at least half of the power leather ones I drove didn't work and all of them were significantly worn and cracked. Honestly I'd prefer manual seats covered in that early 80's indestructable MB-Tex Mercedes Benz vinyl. If the cloth ever does tear this will happen.

I tried doing that exact swap. The problem is that the metal frame of the 93+ electric seat is different. In the back the manual sliders have no support one the electrics are taken out. Also, there is a large metal piece associated with the manual release that clashes with the frame.

It could be done but not without some fabrication.

I just opted to put the cloth seats in.

Thanks for the info and that certainly prevents me from wasting some time and money. I guess I will continue to hunt for decent condition cloth seats.

The seat belt mount has to be modified when you do the swap. It is not difficult at all, but it moves the recieiving part an inch ahead of where it normally is, and feels a bit un-natural. I threw out my leather power seat and put in a cloth manual seat and I am much happier. I am 6 ft tall with long legs, and very comfortable after the swap.

I just found a set of manual seats at the local junkyard. (there is one more set)
I played around with them.
here's the exact measurements.

Pass. Side
Power
Ht to ceiling = 35.5"
Lgt to dash = 31.5"
Seat bottom Lgt = 20"
Manual
Ht to ceiling = 37"
Lgt to dash = 32.5"
Seat bottom Lgt = 18"

Drive. Side
Power
Ht to ceiling = 36"
Lgt to dash = 29.5"
Seat bottom Lgt = 20"
Manual
Ht to ceiling = 36.5"
Lgt to dash = 30.5"
Seat bottom Lgt = 18"

So you can see that it puts you about 1 in further back and about half an inch lower on drivers side but 1.5 lower on pass. side.

They are a heck of a lot lighter tho! I havn't weighed them yet, but my Back Scale says they are about 25lbs lighter per seat.

I think I'll have them recovered in stock leather. Perhaps just taking the leather of the power ones...

countryslicker - thanks for the great details! A few questions.
What year was cruiser that the seats were pulled from?
Did they bolt in easily?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom