Manual Gearbox leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My manual steering gearbox is leaking oil like it was a Rover gearbox. :'(
I can't quite tell where. Is there a complete gasket/seal kit I can buy and install? I looked around SOR and didn't find one.

main output seals leak like the bejesus when they get old, the seal is the one where the pitman arm attaches to the steering box. You have to remove the pitman arm, lever out the old seal and then belt in the new seal. A new seal is only a couple of dollars. Thats about the only thing that can leak in the manual box.

sam

I have a manual box in my garage that I removed for saginaw. If you need it.

Pitman arm seal

quote: the seal is the one where the pitman arm attaches to the steering box. You have to remove the pitman arm, lever out the old seal and then belt in the new seal.

Am I understanding correctly (from the above quote) that this seal can be replaced without removing and disassembling the steering box? Do you just remove the pitman arm and work the old seal out and then pop the new one in?

thanks

The front cover of my '65 manual box leaks right now so it's another possibility. There's just a paper gasket under it though later models may use something different.

"Am I understanding correctly (from the above quote) that this seal can be replaced without removing and disassembling the steering box? Do you just remove the pitman arm and work the old seal out and then pop the new one in?"

Yep, getting the arm off is the hardest part (flame torch time). Make sure that the new seal is not crooked at all and is fully down into it's seat.

I had my fenders off for replacing and resealed my box at the same time since it was so easy to get to. I left the box in and took off the side plate and pulled the shaft and roller out. I had to disconnect the shift linkage, but that was just one bolt. This way you can replace the gasket which is probably leaking, and you won't risk scarring up your shaft trying to dig the seal out. You can also inspect your bushings for wear. The hardest part was getting the arm off, I had to use a torch, hammer and gear puller all at once to get it off. If you start with the torch be prepared to go all the way because you will diffenitly fry your seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom