Manual CDL by Shorting Connectors? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I thought that I've read some guys using a rear defroster switch to act as a CDL. Is it possible to temporaily short some connections on the CDL harness to make it lock?

I've searched and couldn't find what I'm looking for.

I need to trouble shoot a driveline GRRRR and I don't have a CDL and can't wait for one.

Use your hazard button to plug into the CDL harness!

Is it that easy?

Do you know if the connectors are the same?

Yup, identical! That's why I mentioned it!

very nice, thanks.

Why would I want to by a CDL switch when I can easily get a 2nd Hazard switch? It must be an aesthetics thing.

Because it will say 'Center diff lock' on the switch instead of 'Hazard'. Getting the CDL switch is as easy as asking your dealer for one and handing them ~$50. You could probably get the hazard switch from a junkyard, but then you could probably get the CDL switch from a junkyard too, if you looked a little harder.

-Spike

Only if life were that easy.

In my neck of the woods a CDL from the dealer is $137.07 + 15% = $157.63 CDN and will take a few weeks to get.

Is it bad for the system if I drive around without the front shaft and the diff locked? I can't see why it would be, but better safe than sorry.

It is not bad for the system. I drove for a few months like this. (CDL locked, front shaft removed)

FYI, Im in BC and I ordered the switch from Slee Off-road for around $50 US, landed to my door for around $65

If you do a search, you'll find lots of info on driving around w/o the front DS for various reasons - fuel economoy, better handling, etc..

Good luck.

Did the Hazard Switch in place of the CDL this weekend. Worked like a charm, except I had to notch the plastic to fit the harness into it.

I now know why you shouldn't drive around with out the hazard switch. No turnn signals! :doh: I didn't figure that out until I got a whole lot of dirty looks from other drivers. :eek:

One CDL is on order from Dan the man!

Thanks, alia176

LOL, I didn't realize that's the side effect of using the hazard switch!

You're welcome.

Ali

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom