Manifold leak fix options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,
Thanks again for all the help before. Here is a new one...

I found an intake manifold leak around the 5-6 intake. The motor was barely pulling vacuum and the engine revved when starter fluid was squirted around the intake manifold there.

This was a recently-assembled motor with new factory gaskets.

I noticed using a straightedge across the manifolds that there are a few high and low spots, and in particular the intake at 5-6 is low relative to the 6 exhaust surface. Here is a pic with the "high" spots marked in yellow.

The intake overall is lower (set back) from the block on average more than the exhaust manifold. The variance is quite small, I cant get my smallest feeler underneath the straightedge but I can see daylight in spots.

I ordered a Remflex gasket, I understand from threads here that has worked for some.

When I had a similar issue on another car the shop I was volunteering in had what I think was called a "lapper?" It had an abrasive drum spinning on-plane with a work surface you passed the surface to be flattened across that until it was perfect. Well, I dont have one of those and we are all locked down...

I dont want to have to take the manifolds back off again so I am interested in advice on how to make the fix the first time. Should I just put on the Remflex gasket and be done with it? That cast iron exhaust manifold would be a bear to sand using a pane of glass behind sandpaper by hand but is that advisable? I also thought of 2 other ideas?

1 - Loosen up the 3 bolts holding the intake and exhaust manifold together, then while still loose bolt the manifolds up to the motor without a gasket, then tighten up the 3 manifold bolts again. Would this perhaps better align the surfaces of the 2 manifolds for a final install with the Remflex gasket?

2 - Has anyone used thin half-moon washers for the manifold nuts so they press on the "lower" sections of the manifold surface, effectively drawing them tighter to the block that the high sections?

Thanks for the advice!

20200501_233250.jpg
20200501_233713.jpg
20200501_233743.jpg
20200501_233832.jpg
20200501_233837.jpg

recently put together engine? who did it? it should have been done right the first time

the hole where the washers and nuts sit need to be the same, no mismatch or you could break an ear on the manifold

recently talked about in this thread here:

I have had good luck with the remflex gaskets taking up those spaces, use them on all my rigs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom