Man-A-Fre Headers & Cam for 3FE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone here tried these? I'm interested in staying with the stock engine, but want to play with the setup a little. HAve a friend at the dealer who's a master tech, and he said he had both on his and was really happy with them. That was a 2F engine tho (and he does have a V8 now ;) ). So if anyone's tried these, let me know if they're worth the $$ or not.

-Jared

In the past a couple of people have tried them with poor results. The header is designed for the 60/62 series. Fitting them to the series 80 caused a problem where the accelerator pedal mounting and linkage was destroyed by heat in a short period of time.

I think there are times where all of us with 3fes would like a little more go. However, IMO, modifying these engines negates the very beauty of them. For the most part they're simple, reliable engines. As I understand the MAF parts, they were originally designed for the 2f, to also include high compression (9.5-1) pistons, and would be run on super unleaded.

I don't really think the gains you'd receive from just the cam and header would make much of a difference on a heavy FJ80, and would potentially cause other issues. The clearance of the header being just one. I'm sure that with the header there would be extra under hood heat, that is already an issue on the 3fe without any mods (taken care of by the factory blower).

-H-

How about if I wrapped the headers? I was thinking of doing that anyways, but that would definitely cut down on the heat.

Just a bit of my background...I've used headers on my FJ60 and a past FJ40...I won't do it again.

That being said, wrapping the headers usually voids any warranty, as the headers may get too hot and crack. You might be able to get them ceramic coated, but for more expense...

I'd be willing to bet that you'd get the same results just doing a cat-back system, but then again, those here who have gone down that road don't report the type of gains that I believe would be worth the effort and expense.

Bottom line is, if it's speed you want, sell the FJ80 and pick up a FZJ80, or save your pennies for a proper V8 conversion.

My $.02

-H-

Headers are a waste of money on a 3FE. Very little, if any, benefit, and a lot of problems.

I can't comment on the cam.

Had the MAF headers installed on our 62 about a year ago. The overall results, better gitty-up off the line but lots of additional heat. The carb cooling fan runs on a regular basis - it rarely did before. Would I do it again - probably not, just have the old exhaust manifold machined and reinstalled. I check the emissions junk on the wheel well regularly (above the header) and so far no cracked or brittle hoses.

Ming

The headers that MAF sells are ceramic coated, or at least one of those sites is selling the ceramic coated ones. I do remember that it's the same picture on both sites, but not sure if both claimed ceramic. So no one has used the cam? I'm not sure the high compression pistons need to be used with that cam, I can't see that making that much of a difference with the lift and duration. I mean, more airflow is better, right?

I originally tried to order the 3FE headers from MAF. Waited 3-4 weeks after being informed that they were "in-stock". After finally getting response to my e-mails I had MAF cancel the order. Placed an order through Acme who said 1-2 weeks but that they would be drop-shipped by the mfg. 3 weeks later a box from MAF arrives w/ the headers that included an RGA tag. They're nice units - high quality ceramic coated, heavy wall aluminum tubes w/ beefy bold-up plates that truely are direct replacments for the cast iron exhaust manifold. I purchased a new EGR tube and really didn't need to use it - I could have just re-attached the old one. But bang for the buck is low, if I had to do it over again I'd just true the cast iron units and replace the gasket. FWIW.

Ming

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom