Making the 100 J jump. 100-200. A few Q's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good morning-

I am with a little bit of excitement and hesitation selling my LX 470 today. I love it for its looks and boring reliability. But for the last year or so the 200 has been calling me like some siren in the distance.

It really started with me seeing a heritage tastefully built blow by me (in the LX) on the highway and it had not seen the newer ones yet. Knowing I'd have to move a few toys to make that happen I decided my LX and a small bundle of cash could find me a suitable 200. I have it narrowed down to a few with one really standing out.

Having been a 100 owner lurking in here for a while, I read all of the sticky and the daily stuff with the gremlins for a 200. I do own a 21 Tundra TRD Pro and have had others with the 5.7. I know the motor.

I am going to look at the number one candidate today. I already looked up the VIN and it has been serviced from 0-170k every 5000 miles by the Lexus or Toyota dealers for the two previous owners. I did not see any AHC , starter, or radiator replacement unfortunately. I know what to look for when it comes to rust and such.

Are there any last little things you'd have me look at while i'm in it? Things to do that might signal problems down the road? Any help would be appreciated.

I am looking forward to learning the new platform first hand.

The center diff lock and 4low mech is a big one.

Steering racks and control arm bushings get tired around that mileage.

I do know to check the 4x4 stuff but I didn't know the 200s had the same rack issues that the 100 did. Maybe it's just a matter of mileage and normal wear.

I am not opposed to bushings. I chase squeaks and leaks as soon as I buy one anyway. Gives me something to do.

Thanks for the steering rack thought. Any signs of going bad? I'll have to study that real quick

Check the operation of recirc/fresh air. Dealers often break that mechanism when they change the cabin filter by forcing the change flap open instead of setting the system in recirc. Fixing it is a hassle and can be expensive. It’s so common that to be honest, whenever I see “dealer service every 5000 miles”, I figure the flap has been broken.

Sorry for the loss of your LX. Good luck in your search.

I've had 80, 100 and 200 series' and the 200 is hands down better at everything except narrow trail work. I don't think you'll look back.

If the 200 has rack issues, I've missed people talking about it.

I can't speak to LX specific features to pay attention to (assume you're looking at LX since you mention AHC). You probably know about it though since you had an LX.

Good call on checking for the cracked radiator (couple of hundred dollar part), and the broken recirc flap hinge.

There have been a couple of broken valve springs reported recently, but not sure if there is a way to check for impending failure?

Rusted stuff is often a concern. Frame, underbody bits, etc. Land Cruisers (b/c) KDSS shutter valve screw but even for the LX (one of the lines rusts and loses fluid).

So you probably know the radiator and starter will need to be replaced if original. What year are you looking at?

Visually inspect the AHC bleeder valves. There should be rubber caps on them. You can flush the fluid and replace the globes yourself in an hour or two. Take it out of the driveway and drive it around. Does it ride like a bouncy castle? The fluid and globes can fix that. Just remember to add fluid before you subtract fluid. Who knows how much is in the reservoir it's hard to see in there.
Is it on p-rated tires? Going to LT will decrease your acceleration significantly.
Lock and unlock using the remote. Do the motors move the side mirrors all the way open/closed?
Press the diff lock button by your right knee. Mine made the light start blinking.
Did it get a 120k mile service with spark plugs or did they do a 60k mile service without?
Has it been raining recently? Feel the front carpets for dampness. Clogged sunroof drains or in my case a failed windshield adhesive can let water into the A-pillars and electronics boxes causing a no-start issue. Is the windshield original? Does it say Lexus?
Do the seat heat/cool functions work on both seats? Does the horn work? Mine doesn't.
IDK how to identify the coolant valley leak but that's a thing.
Does the touchscreen climate control etc work properly? Some people have had that fail.
Are all the screws for the 3 big black engine bay sound damping covers missing? May be a sign of a lazy mechanic/DIYer

Just some things that may help you negotiate/decide.

one last thing.. look for where you are going to put your coffee/water bottle/ phone when you drive. Older LC are full of useful nooks and crannies and the 570 has none.

Awesome list of stuff guys. Thank you. I am looking at an 09 w/ 170 on it. The AHC and really everything works as it should. Underneath looks like it lived inside its whole life. Only very tiny specs on the frame weld. No leaks. Drives like it is planted. The power is awesome and smooth compared to the 4.7. I think I am going to do it... It has 20s but that will change with some 17s and tires

Nice. If you like it, snap it up before someone else does.

Congrats. Let's see the pics when it's in the driveway.

Awesome list of stuff guys. Thank you. I am looking at an 09 w/ 170 on it. The AHC and really everything works as it should. Underneath looks like it lived inside its whole life. Only very tiny specs on the frame weld. No leaks. Drives like it is planted. The power is awesome and smooth compared to the 4.7. I think I am going to do it... It has 20s but that will change with some 17s and tires
save your aux cable, BT for music was added in 2010. And it's a hassle to pair anyway whereas the cable just works. 08-09 should allow hands free phone calls though.

Check the operation of recirc/fresh air. Dealers often break that mechanism when they change the cabin filter by forcing the change flap open instead of setting the system in recirc. Fixing it is a hassle and can be expensive. It’s so common that to be honest, whenever I see “dealer service every 5000 miles”, I figure the flap has been broken.
@KShorthairs if you find this flap inop, I suggest you make huge scene, get $2500 knocked off price, and then come back here for the ~$40 fix.

I've been reading for hours and have my 3 brain cells at odds trying to figure out what size and offset wheel to get. I can get some 0 offset and 285s right away but I am seeing that might not be a good idea. I like some poke. It satisfies the inner hillbilly in me. I don't mind trimming but not too jazzed about a BMC. Had to do that back in the FJ days and never felt comfy. I can bend plastic to my will with gun and dremeel though.

I've been reading for hours and have my 3 brain cells at odds trying to figure out what size and offset wheel to get. I can get some 0 offset and 285s right away but I am seeing that might not be a good idea. I like some poke. It satisfies the inner hillbilly in me. I don't mind trimming but not too jazzed about a BMC. Had to do that back in the FJ days and never felt comfy. I can bend plastic to my will with gun and dremeel though.

What's your goals? Well rounded do anything?

Anything short of rock crawler, I would highly recommend offset in the +25 to +40 range. +0 invites a lot of compromises including handling, clearance, drivability, etc. I'd also give some consideration to just staying with 285s, that's the stock width. There's ample opportunity to go wider as it's a big bootied pig.

I was thinking 285/70/17 is fine for me. It has 20s on it which are way too gangster for me. Maybe someone could talk some sense into me and show me a 20 that looks good. I want taller for sure. Not opposed to tall skinny either. I just think the 60 is way too tucked in for my liking.

I was thinking 285/70/17 is fine for me. It has 20s on it which are way too gangster for me. Maybe someone could talk some sense into me and show me a 20 that looks good. I want taller for sure. Not opposed to tall skinny either. I just think the 60 is way too tucked in for my liking.

That's a great tire size. Just saying there are more options especially with the LX that can easily handle wider.

Not saying you should run 20s either, but that's certainly an option with larger diameter tires.

I'm picking it up later today or 1st thing in the AM. I am perfecting my broken flap ventriloquist sound. Will advise.

I am looking at a set of BBS Tundra Pro wheels with 275/70/18 BFGs that might just work for me for a bit- until I want bigger.

how do we check the flap?

and where are pics of the new rig?! :)
Open glove box door, remove everything, open the hatch on the inside back wall, operate the recirc button with the vehicle on, observe if the flap opens and closes. If it doesn't open, the recirc door pivot may be detached, broken or otherwise. DO NOT FORCE IT OPEN MANUALLY.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom