Making sense of BJ41 4wd (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I imported a '79 BJ41 from Peru for personal use that arrived this past Friday. I expected the tractor-like sound and feel and it will take a while to distinguish between "this is what it is" and "there's an issue that can/should be fixed." For starters though I want to make sure I'm driving in High 2 and not High 4 (I think I would know if low was engaged). I've googled images of gear shift plates (mine doesn't have one) but I'm not convinced I'm seeing what I have. But I believe the middle lever in the photo (taller of the shorter levers) all the way forward is High 2 and all the way back is High 4. It seems that there is a middle position though too. The short lever on the right I can't seem to move at all but seems like it should; I assumed this was 4 low. Any insights are appreciated. Thanks!

Ben

IMG_6753.jpg

I think you need to look underneath for a better idea to what you have.
generally a 2 stick is a modification and not stock.
1 stick is 2wd and 4wd
the other stick would be high, neutral, low

pics underneath showing the linkage would help

Only BJ41 I have ever seen listed are JDM (Japanese Domestic Market). Short run 2/79-7/80. Everyone shows vacuum operated 2WD-4WD. Possible the second shifter was a mod. Why they don't match. Had an early FJ40 that a PO cut the floor to put a home made manual shifter to replace the vacuum shifter. The early diaphragm had exposed linkage and the diaphragm was still mounted.

Thanks for the responses so far. I do need to just get underneath and start to figure out what's going on. I don't know the full history of my Cruiser but it was modified from RHD to LHD, and many other things in 43 years. It was lifted, big tires put on, etc...The exterior is almost impeccable but it doesn't seem to have received the same attention in terms of drivability.

I have a ton of questions and so much to learn as my plan is to do most of the work myself. I'm inexperienced but in it for the long haul and this isn't a daily driver. But I'll try to be patient, search forums, and study the manual before bombarding the forum with questions.

The picture in your Avatar shows a RHD windshield. Wiper motor on LHD is on the right side. Would research you 2B as much as you can. The B and 3B are much more common four cylinder diesels in Land Cruisers. Only know of the BJ41 having a 2B and like I said was only in Japan for a couple of years. Would do my homework. An engine never sold out of Japan and last one made over forty years ago would research as much as I can about parts availability and what would be the best replacement engine. Never dealt with a diesel but know there are newer better options than a 3B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom