Making a 4 seat 100 series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm at home having a sick day and my mind is wandering...I just looked at some JDM 100 series photos, and realized that the 60/40 seat split is reversed in JDM cars.

Since I've never used 5 seats, let alone 7, I'd like to gain that second row center seat space back and see about filling it with a drawer fridge. I'm wondering if the anchor points are there hiding under the carpet for a JDM 40% seat (should have looked when I did my carpet swap last week).

Has anyone ever eliminated the rear center seat through the use of JDM parts, or the conversion of a right side 40% seat, or by hacking one to pieces? I have an extra 40% seat...

autowp.ru_toyota_land_cruiser_100_van_vx-limited_g-selection_jp-spec_13.jpg

Last edited:
I dont think the mounts exist to put two narrow seats in the middle row, but you could drill out the spot welds for the wide seat, set them up like the narrow seat, and mount another narrow seat. I think the hardest part would be sourcing the RHD smaller seat.

First i thought you were suggesting what I thought of a couple of times, rake the second row out and make it a limo back there. Only issue is the third row seats aren't really as comfortable with legroom but you could then stretch your legs all the way out. Not practical for me personally but I kinda like the idea for somebody who just uses theirs for runs around town with family or friends.

First i thought you were suggesting what I thought of a couple of times, rake the second row out and make it a limo back there. Only issue is the third row seats aren't really as comfortable with legroom but you could then stretch your legs all the way out. Not practical for me personally but I kinda like the idea for somebody who just uses theirs for runs around town with family or friends.

I've done this. It works pretty well since the 3rd row is still able to recline. The only real drawbacks compared to the 2nd row would just be lack of center console and you're pretty close to the floor vs being seated higher up.

I converted to just the front seats. I tell folks that I now drive a sports car!

Mine is titles as a Sports Wagon, so you're not really lying.

Made a bit of progress on this long overdue project today. Still need to button up the lower pad and hog ring the upholstery back in place, but I'm pretty happy with the dry run.

Here are some hints:
I started with two sets of second row seats.

I cut down and welded the lower frame back together. This involved moving quite a bit of stuff, and I had to remove the damper which cushions the forward tilt of the seat (I think).
I kept the original seatbelt mount.
I used an extra long M10x1.25 through the old seat belt location and on through the bracket where the seat lock for the rear folds down, which lines up perfectly after you cut a bunch of stuff out of the way.
I needed to grind the captive nut off the back of the original seat belt mount.
I needed to remove the bracket the damper mounts to in order to clear the rear seat lock.

I used the back from a 40% seat after determining that the amount of cutting and welding to make a 60% back work would be too much.
The hinges are swapped over from a 60% seat, as they needed r/l mirroring.
The seat back release cable still needs adjustment as there is now too much cable inner/too little housing, Will probably cut and use a motorcycle cable clamp.

If I were doing it over, I would contemplate just paying the $400 in shipping to get a 40% factory seat sent over from Australia.

IMG_7442.jpg

Last edited:
FYI, the 100 fits 8 people ;)

I've wanted to this for a long time but getting the RHD seat was cost prohibitive. Another option would be to leave the seat bottom bracket intact and just modify/hollow out the cushion. And then remove the seat back center.... which may be what they did here...

105_hv_vo_li_off.jpg
105_hv_innenraum_hi.jpg

I've wanted to this for a long time but getting the RHD seat was cost prohibitive. Another option would be to leave the seat bottom bracket intact and just modify/hollow out the cushion. And then remove the seat back center.... which may be what they did here...

105_hv_innenraum_hi.jpg

I don't know that you'd get that much advantage leaving the bottom frame in place, it is fairly substantial, and I recon if it were there, you'd see a higher fridge. Also, the way the bottom its constructed, you can't simply move the hinge and attach a 40% back. There's quite a bit of surgery involved, and no easy way to remove the seat back center based on the hinge locations.

Here are some pics of the innards of my 60% back, which may help illustrate why I opted to use an existing 40% back.

IMG_7443.jpeg

IMG_7444.jpeg

IMG_7445.jpeg

IMG_7446.jpeg

Thanks, any pictures of the bottom section dissected?

I'll take some when I next have it out.

I cut the forward frame bar in the center based on an educated guess, ground the metal rods that I thought were gonna frame the new seat, and cut the rear based on the 40% seat back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom