Make stock seat sit lower…? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have some refinished stock LX seats coming in for my 97 LC, it wasn’t my original plan I was hoping to toss in some transplant seats but I couldn’t pass these up as they are perfect and its always nice to keep things stock when you can in my opinion, especially something like that where you would be fitting in something not made specifically for the truck.

Besides having new leather and comfort I was excited to have seats which would possibly sit lower but that’s not going to happen with the stock seats obviously.

I’m 6’1 and after driving a GX the past 5 years or so, first a 2016 and now a 2020, I’ve really gotten accustomed to sitting low while still being high up in a truck. I’m curious if anyone has modified the stock seats to sit lower? Switching trucks I definitely noticed how much higher the 80 seats sit without the option to go any lower. Even before the GX I always positioned my old LX seats as low as possible and wanted it to be lower, I’m just more comfortable driving that way feeling more planted.

I'm watching this because I have the same issue. I'm 6 foot but have thick sheepskin seat covers that must take up an inch. No concussions yet but I'd love to gain an inch or two of clearance.

With the power seats I don't see how lowering would be possible due to the electric motor taking up real estate under the seat.
I'm 6'5" and OK with the headroom, nevertheless a lower seat would be more desirable for me because it provides a more comfortable leg angle IMO. So, as a result of this high sitting position I'm needing to install the Land tank extensions for more comfort.
Replacing stock power seats with manual 80 seats would help, of course.

With the power seats I don't see how lowering would be possible due to the electric motor taking up real estate under the seat.
I'm 6'5" and OK with the headroom, nevertheless a lower seat would be more desirable for me because it provides a more comfortable leg angle IMO. So, as a result of this high sitting position I'm needing to install the Land tank extensions for more comfort.
Replacing stock power seats with manual 80 seats would help, of course.
If you haven't installed my seat brackets you might consider those. I'm 6'6" and before the brackets it sucked to drive the 80. You get a 2" increase in leg room and the seat is a little lower when fully back.

If you haven't installed my seat brackets you might consider those. I'm 6'6" and before the brackets it sucked to drive the 80. You get a 2" increase in leg room and the seat is a little lower when fully back.
☝️☝️

Got the extenders in there right now and they are great but still I would like the seats to sit lower, I was hoping maybe someone had tackled this issue with the stock seats….

I modified a stock seat in my 105 series.
I took the base apart, and cut the pressed metal cushion support tray and modified it and the support springs so the base wasn't as deep, then trimmed the foam cushion down too.

I reduced the base height by about 1½"
It made a big difference to comfort and head room.
It did impact comfort positively through better seating position and head room, but also negatively in terms of comfort under my ass.
The whole seat was made firmer by changes to the support springs, and reduction in padding thickness

This is what you need! I am 6'4 and the brackets make all the difference in the world.

I dont think I have particularly odd proportions, but this thread has me wondering haha

I'm 6'5" and generally like the upright seat configuration. My rt knee rubs on the center console and shifter which is annoying, but not awful. What is REALLY annoying though is that I have to drive with the sunroof open like a fawking Flintstone character.

While you imagine that, I'll clarify to say its just the headliner cover that I have to open :) Still my head is close to the edge of the opening and I whack it off roading. Also, the damn rearview mirror is in my line of sight so I have to duck my head to look under it.

I would LOVE a way to lower the entire seat assembly to gain ~2" of headroom.

I'll try the LT extension, but this is a headroom issue and not leg length. My t-rex arms may not reach the wheel at full LT extension

I am 6'5" with a very long torso. I have a 36" inseam and a 6'4" wingspan, so relatively more torso and less arm and leg length. The leg room in the 80 is OK with the stock seat bracket and the seat all the way back, but when I recline the seat enough that my head is off of the roof then I can't reach the steering wheel comfortably with my arm length.

I just bought Desert Does It Seat Jackers to raise the front edge of the seat for better support under my thighs, and I've found that the seating position is relatively comfortable with the seat actually slightly forward (not all the way back) so I can reach the steering wheel with my shoulder blades still leaning back on the seat back, seat back reclined, rear of seat all the way down, and front edge of seat all the way up. I would prefer a more upright seating position but what I've landed on is not bad and leaves room for my daughter's carseat behind my seat.

The problem is, my hair is still brushing the ceiling and I'm looking out of the very top of the windshield. If there was a way to get the seating angle I can get with the seat jackers by lowering the rear mount by 1" instead of raising the front mount I think I would be set.

I'm going to keep an eye out for manual seats to swap in, If they're lower like people say, then maybe manual seats with the seat jackers on the front brackets are the ticket.

I could get an even more comfortable seating position if the steering wheel was 1-2" back so I could run the seat all the way back and still reach it.

I love the 80, but Toyota's designers really missed the mark on the seating position for tall folks.

I am 6'5" with a very long torso. I have a 36" inseam and a 6'4" wingspan, so relatively more torso and less arm and leg length. The leg room in the 80 is OK with the stock seat bracket and the seat all the way back, but when I recline the seat enough that my head is off of the roof then I can't reach the steering wheel comfortably with my arm length.

I just bought Desert Does It Seat Jackers to raise the front edge of the seat for better support under my thighs, and I've found that the seating position is relatively comfortable with the seat actually slightly forward (not all the way back) so I can reach the steering wheel with my shoulder blades still leaning back on the seat back, seat back reclined, rear of seat all the way down, and front edge of seat all the way up. I would prefer a more upright seating position but what I've landed on is not bad and leaves room for my daughter's carseat behind my seat.

The problem is, my hair is still brushing the ceiling and I'm looking out of the very top of the windshield. If there was a way to get the seating angle I can get with the seat jackers by lowering the rear mount by 1" instead of raising the front mount I think I would be set.

I'm going to keep an eye out for manual seats to swap in, If they're lower like people say, then maybe manual seats with the seat jackers on the front brackets are the ticket.

I could get an even more comfortable seating position if the steering wheel was 1-2" back so I could run the seat all the way back and still reach it.

I love the 80, but Toyota's designers really missed the mark on the seating position for tall folks.
Toyota's engineers definitely built this one for themselves, the rest of us just got a chance to use it.

At 6'2" with a 32" inseam, I more than feel your pain. I'm ALL torso. I just put Audi seats in mine and I'm still fine tuning the brackets, but they have a TON of range. I can go from knees jammed into the dash, all the way to where I fully cannot touch the pedals at all - a couple inches back farther than stock. As for height, I think I'm basically at the bottom of the stock range and can go up to "head out the sunroof" and I actually built the bracket a touch taller than I intended, so I should be able to drop it about a half inch lower. Not the easiest swap in the world since the base on the Audi seat is super wide, but my point is that there are options if you aren't attached to originality. They're also considerably more comfortable overall - especially because they aren't built for someone with a much shorter spine, and as a bonus, I think I have figured out how to make the heated seat circuits play together.

Toyota's engineers definitely built this one for themselves, the rest of us just got a chance to use it.

At 6'2" with a 32" inseam, I more than feel your pain. I'm ALL torso. I just put Audi seats in mine and I'm still fine tuning the brackets, but they have a TON of range. I can go from knees jammed into the dash, all the way to where I fully cannot touch the pedals at all - a couple inches back farther than stock. As for height, I think I'm basically at the bottom of the stock range and can go up to "head out the sunroof" and I actually built the bracket a touch taller than I intended, so I should be able to drop it about a half inch lower. Not the easiest swap in the world since the base on the Audi seat is super wide, but my point is that there are options if you aren't attached to originality. They're also considerably more comfortable overall - especially because they aren't built for someone with a much shorter spine, and as a bonus, I think I have figured out how to make the heated seat circuits play together.
Yeah, i went Audi seats too.
Seat isn't much lower, but the adjustable range makes them so much better

At 6’4” I am very comfortable with this setup manual seats with home made 1”seat jackers in the front.
I replaced the bottom seat foam and I have say there very comfortable.
I had a friend over with stock power seat and we jumped in each other’s ride and it’s a night and day difference.
I know it doesn’t help the OP but others looking to upgrade, find some manual seats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom