Magruder 2020 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've been wanting to do Magruder for 3 years now, but both trucks are down. I hope I can make it next year.

I just ran it last week. It's a cool trip for sure. It's a LONG way to get there though. I did it on a road trip where I was coming back from Washington state. That made it more palatable. We ran it Idaho to Montana for the shorter leg getting home when we were done. It was one of the more scenic drives out there. Do the fire towers/lookouts or don't bother with the rest of the trail. It is an easy dirt road 95% of the time. Aired down tires are your friend.

I thought highway 12 from Missoula to Lewiston was one of the most wonderful paved highways I have ever experienced. You really feel remote.

One and done! Ran it last year, the fire look out towers are fun but the rest was unbearable. The dirt/dust from the trail was harsh and it seemed like it went on forever! Also sad to see 99% of the trees burned because of it being in the wilderness and not be allowed to fight fires in it!

One and done! Ran it last year, the fire look out towers are fun but the rest was unbearable. The dirt/dust from the trail was harsh and it seemed like it went on forever! Also sad to see 99% of the trees burned because of it being in the wilderness and not be allowed to fight fires in it!

Yeah, but it opens up the view. The wild flowers for us were unstoppable. The fireweed flowers blanketed the entire forest floor in some areas. It was spectacular, only the drive into Goose Lake had more that I have seen. I would want another day to run down all the spur trails. It is a cool trail, dusty... yes. The views were pretty amazing. I am a view guy, it was a 8+/10 for sure.

Yeah, but it opens up the view. The wild flowers for us were unstoppable. The fireweed flowers blanketed the entire forest floor in some areas. It was spectacular, only the drive into Goose Lake had more that I have seen. I would want another day to run down all the spur trails. It is a cool trail, dusty... yes. The views were pretty amazing. I am a view guy, it was a 8+/10 for sure.

Hahaha , the only view I saw was dirt from the cruisers in front of me for 90 plus miles. I have never been on a worst dirty/dusty road in my life and I really don't remember any wild flowers. Hell I drove 90% of it with my windshield wipers on, that's how bad it was. I am it was probably a lot more dusty with four cruisers rolling down it? Now the look out posts were fun and had great views, but sorry flowers or not the 90 mile plus trip sucked, it was torture!!!! IMHO! I guess that I am just into a different kind of wheeling, I am really not into wild flowers or looking at 90 plus miles of burned trees!! But please don't take my word for it, get about four or five others and go enjoy it!!

Last edited:
Can someone help the new to the area guy, What is Magruder?

A remote stretch of mixed road that runs between the Selway Bitterroot wilderness and the Frank Church wilderness, from the Darby, MT area to Elk City, ID. good views from the lookouts and hills. Miles and miles of dusty road.

A remote stretch of mixed road that runs between the Selway Bitterroot wilderness and the Frank Church wilderness, from the Darby, MT area to Elk City, ID. good views from the lookouts and hills. Miles and miles of dusty road.
and burnt trees, everyone should drive it as really neat area and keep numbers up on road usage. be prepared for miles and miles of burnt forest which is educational in itself.

Fun Fact: The Magruder Corridor is the longest primative "highway" in the lower 48. It was cool, but if I was in a convoy like Tom then I would likely have the same impression. On dusty trails I prefer to hang back and get completely out of the other rigs dust. It's not a rally race, but year @TommyGuns that would be a lousy way to see the Magruder.

Lori and I ran it the opposite direction than Tommy and the guys did, met up with them as they were about to get on it. Temps were in the upper 90s and no wind. The dust just kind of hung there, all that being said it's a fun drive and lots of history there recommend it. Sam and I had driven it almost 20 years ago before the big fires so it was a totally different trip, like yellowstone it'll recover then it'll be super cool again. The stars at night are pretty impressive, not much light pollution there. Also, since skalkaho is right on the way and that road is still super cool you can do 1 way with almost zero interstate

From what I have read, a potential problem on that road is long narrow stretches where encountering another truck would be quite problematic.

(I was on a narrow trail once in Moab and came face to face with another truck. I was able to back up and into a wide spot fairly easily. It would have been difficult for him. We got past one another and life went on. I wonder how it would be if there were no easy place to pass.)

Did the Magruder over three days from the ID side weekend before last with six other FJ55s. Epic when you take your time and include the many side excursions. We visited all three fire towers. No passing issues when we met vehicles coming the opposite direction. Dust easily managed by spacing.

17EC95BA-AC46-42C4-AC2A-C2BCD69E0DC9.jpeg

35068D76-4E8E-4646-8CF1-7087AE6E91D8.jpeg

45730801-9F43-43FD-9170-B018F695C04E.jpeg

Last edited:
Did the Magruder over three days from the ID side weekend before last with six other FJ55s. Epic when you take your time and include the many side excursions. We visited all three fire towers. No passing issues when we met vehicles coming the opposite direction. Dust easily managed by spacing. We also encountered rain and snow.

WTF, how did I miss out on this. I didn't see y'all in the Bitterroot anywhere either.

Spent the night in Darby after three split for home. Four of us backroaded it (lots of dirt) to West Yellowstone and through the Park to Jackson. We’ve done these Pig Party trips annually for four years with up to 15 55s attending. Folks from Florida, Missouri, California, Utah, Idaho and Colorado this year.

Spent the night in Darby after three split for home. Four of us backroaded it (lots of dirt) to West Yellowstone and through the Park to Jackson. We’ve done these Pig Party trips annually for four years with up to 15 55s attending. Folks from Florida, Missouri, California, Utah, Idaho and Colorado this year.

Bummer, that would have been cool to see a bunch of pigs.

Hopefully y'all had a great trip!

Bummer, that would have been cool to see a bunch of pigs.

Hopefully y'all had a great trip!
You were there in spirit. Rack crossbars I got from you awhile back support the basket in front of my rooftop tent.

Your trip sounded just magical!! :bounce2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom