Magnaflow 23120 on 93/94? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I see that several people have used the Magnaflow 23120 on their '95-'97 Cruisers. I need to replace a good portion of my exhaust on my '94. I am wondering if I can use the 23120 for mine. I am considering two options:

1. Run one cat and just install another O2 bung so both O2 sensors can be used -or-
2. Delete the PAIR and put the O2 sensors in those holes

Either way, I'm going from the side-by-side cats to one cat, if this system allows me to do that on my Cruiser. If I can't use the 23120, I'll just put in two new cats. If I can use the 23120, does it just eliminate the two cats and the Y-pipe between the cats and the muffler?

Any other option?

Does the 23120 replace everything outlined in green?

175834.jpg

JEGS page says it is a 3 way cat, so a single one SHOULD do the whole job. Just gunna be tough if you have a visual inspection on the rig. Varies by state.

Luckily, I'm in a state where we have no inspections.

I'm just making sure, when I take everything off, that this will bolt up to the OEM muffler.

It will not be a DIRECT FIT. 93-94s have 2cats side by side and 95-97 have 2 cats inline. A good muffler shop can MAKE it fit. I would talk to the shop first.

I was planning on doing it myself. I wondered how differently it lines up. I am aware of the difference in the cats...I guess I'm just interested in what it's going to take to make it fit. Comparing the parts diagrams, it looks like I'll just have to have a pipe fabricated to fit from the outlet of the cat to the inlet of the muffler?

'93-'94:

93-94.jpg

'95-'97:

95-97.jpg

I don't have a '95-'97 handy to look at, as the only other 80 series in my town is also a '94. Is there any obstacle to the Magnaflow pipe on the '93-'94 that will block its routing that isn't present on a '95-'97?

On the Intermediate pipe cut off the ( It Would appear the outside cat connection) weld In sheet metal. Hopefully It will be close enough to bolt the other one up. If not weld a piece of tubing In the most convient location on the Intermediate and figure out your O2s. As to your Interference ? I'm not sure, I have later models. Good Luck :)

Not that their products are any good, but the CX Racing down pipe comes in two versions, the curved and straight. Everything is the same down to the last 12" or so, which leads me to believe it will fit.

20.jpg

21.jpg

I was planning on doing it myself. I wondered how differently it lines up. I am aware of the difference in the cats...I guess I'm just interested in what it's going to take to make it fit. Comparing the parts diagrams, it looks like I'll just have to have a pipe fabricated to fit from the outlet of the cat to the inlet of the muffler?

'93-'94:

View attachment 1345963

'95-'97:

View attachment 1345964

I don't have a '95-'97 handy to look at, as the only other 80 series in my town is also a '94. Is there any obstacle to the Magnaflow pipe on the '93-'94 that will block its routing that isn't present on a '95-'97?

FYSA - I have a 94, and mine has the routing pictured in the 95-97 diagram. i will pull my build date in a few minutes, and post it up for everyone's SA.

Dave

My rationale was - brand new stainless Y-pipe and a brand new 3-way catalytic converter trumps making a Y-pipe from existing pipeage. I also thought it would be easier to bend/weld a small junction piece to mate the new '93/'94 cat-back exhaust to the '95-'97 Y-pipe.

Existing pipe was crusty and cats were shot. I've already had to cut and patch one rust-through on the existing Y-pipe. I got the stainless Magnaflow Y-pipe and 3-way cat for $270 shipped.

I believe it will work for you some one just used this on here with 94 this is the one that goes from the exhaust manifold down to single, you would just need to change after cat to the muffler. I'm planning on doing this also

I've searched and read a lot, but essentially I’m in the same situation and need to replace everything on my 1994 between the manifold and the muffler and am wondering if the Magnaflow 23120 is a good option for me? I don’t have any inspections/emission testing where I live so currently no issues with that. A couple of years ago I had a new muffler welded in, so I no longer have the stock muffler. Seems that an exhaust shop could make a custom connection from the end of the Magnaflow 23120 to my existing muffler? My question for people who did this on a 1994 is if this bolts right up to the manifold or if there were any fitment issues? It looks like it has a bung for one o2 sensor, so did you install another bung or move your o2 sensors up to the PAIR location? Any issues with CEL?

If the Magnaflow 23120 bolts right up this seems to be the best, most economical option from what I have researched. I am a little concerned about getting a Bosal part, not Magnaflow from some of the reviews (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SH8CR4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AOEDQ9OBJID0J&psc=1) at least on Amazon.

Other route I thought about going was with two OEM pipes (~$220 for each pipe) from manifold to catalytic converters and then pick up some cats (which cats would you recommend if I went this route?).

I’ll be having an exhaust shop do this work. Thanks for your thoughts!

Matt

Sorry, I have never updated this. I actually went with the 23120. It is awesome. I got rid of the PAIR system, but the O2 sensors in the the empty spots in the manifold. Zero fitment issues, other than muffler connection.

I then replaced the muffler back with a Walker system, which sucks. It already has a leaky weld or two.

The only thing you need to do is take it to a custom shop and get a small piece made that makes a bend up and over the frame rail to connect the Magnaflow to the exhaust, because they don't line up. Any decent exhaust shop can do it.

You will be going from two cats to one, and I'm betting a new Magnaflow cat is a lot better than two 24-year old ones.

I wish I had done it when I first got the truck. It's awesome. I got my Magnaflow from Amazon and it's authentic. Some people complain about rust - which is odd since it's stainless. For the price, can't beat it. It's also available from Summit or O'Reilly if you're worried about getting the Bosal.

I wanted to follow-up as I just got my truck back from the exhaust shop. They tried several sources for the true Magnaflow 23120 to use on my 94 and each time they got a Bosal unit which as people have said does not bolt up directly - the shop could not get it to fit. I ended up going with OEM Toyota down pipes and then they installed a single Cat that had two inlets and one outlet which saved me buying two cats. I think they said the cat came from an early 90's Ford. They then just made a pipe from the single cat outlet to my existing muffler. Hope that might help somebody who is in search for an alternative to the 23120 or all OEM approach. The cost was about $800 from the engine to the connection with my existing muffler.

Hope you guys are cashing in your old cats. OEM cats have good value at the recyclers.

Anyone have any recommendations for cat back exhaust with the Magnaflow 23120? I drive a 94 which has already been fitted with a 95 Y pipe and has had both cats removed. The whole operation looks like it was salvaged from the Titanic and after 4 wheeling this weekend my remaining o2 sensor is throwing a code. Time for an upgrade!

Anyone have any recommendations for cat back exhaust with the Magnaflow 23120? I drive a 94 which has already been fitted with a 95 Y pipe and has had both cats removed. The whole operation looks like it was salvaged from the Titanic and after 4 wheeling this weekend my remaining o2 sensor is throwing a code. Time for an upgrade!
94 as well here. Magnaflow to custom bent pipe. Then into OE muffler then Walker rear section.

94 as well here. Magnaflow to custom bent pipe. Then into OE muffler then Walker rear section.
Thanks man. Which model of the Walker did you go with? Initial Google search yields a universal. Is yours stainless?

56003 rear section. Not stainless but has lasted well for $125.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom