Magma Stainless Steel Cookware (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You are welcome Andrew and spressomon.
I will get pics when it is lighter out of the foam sheeting they used for packaging it.
Pretty sure it can be reused.

I did fire off an email to them too to let them know of my "seasoning" experience, and hopefully the rep that has visited this thread will have some info.

It is a very well built set, and the bottoms are very thick, not thin like my home Revere set I have had for eons.

I will be ordering another ceramic omelet pan to use in the home, this way I do not have to break into the chuckbox and open up this set to get it out.

Regarding your seasoning-sounds like a thinner layer of oil is in order and make sure the pan is upside down to avoid the sticky goo of polymerized oil. I think it's interesting to me that it can be seasoned at all. It would be cool to treat one like a steel pan, and care for it in the same way. Although if your going to do that, you may as well have a steel pan!

Really nice set of pans. Like All-Clad for camping.

Yeah, they did not mention anything at all about turning the pans upside down in the oven.
Maybe I did have to much oil in the pan, and does canola oil classify as vegetable oil like they called for?
When I order another omelet pan later today and when I get it, I will skip the seasoning of it altogether and see how it works next weekend.

Some additional pictures.

test4.jpg

Whole set minus the two lids laid out

A10-369-prod.jpg

test5.jpg

All nestled together, and the omelet pan goes underneath the top most pan which is the lid when nested together

test6.jpg

You can reuse the packing foam sheets they packed it together when shipped to help protect it when in transport

The one lid seems to have captured three of my guitars on the wall :D
Very shiny lid.

Last edited:
Serious pans, and enough room to cook for a battalion!

Canola oil should be fine. I've used it before for that purpose and no issues. My current favorite with steel cookware is peanut oil, but grapeseed oil is on the list too.

ATTENTION:

I heard back from Magma today, and they are taking out of the instructions to "season" them in the oven.
There is no need to do this.
So if you buy a set, DO NOT SEASON THEM!

For my troubles with the oil burning into the finish due to seasoning the pans when they did not need seasoning, Magma sent me a set of their pot holders to keep the pots from clanging into each other when packed away and your rig is moving.

These are very nice and come in a set of three, with large, medium, and small.
I have four pots not counting the saute pan which is the lid and the separate omelet pan, but as you can see from the pictures. you only need three of them.

test7.jpg

Three stacked next to the set

test8.jpg

All three laid out

test9.jpg

All of them in the three biggest pots, still one pot left above the omelet pan, no need for one in it which you will see why in the next picture below

test10.jpg

No need for one in the last pot since nothing resides inside of it

test11.jpg

Omelet pan stacks on top of the two lids which stack on top of that smallest pan, and the saute pan on the right forms the lid over the whole set

One very nice set!

I do not believe these are yet shown on Magma's site, you will have to call or email them to find out how to order them.

Nice touch!

Still on my camping list.

I'm getting a set without the ceramic. Still debating the 7pc vs the 10 pc. Honestly, for camping, you could leave the big pot home and just take the nesting pots from the 10 pc. The SS fry pan is a mistake. I wish they made that from carbon steel like Snow Peak.

The colander looks useful too, but it only goes with the big pot so a tough call.

Andy look into seasoning SS pans. I tried it on one I have and was pleased with the result. The process is a little different than steel or CI

Sent via the ether from my candy bar running ginger bread

I just ordered the induction SS 10 piece set to use in the 80 and my RV. I thought about the ceramic, but the price delta was way to great to great IMHO, not to mention the lack of history as to how durable the surface is after years of banging around on and off road. I generally have a fairly low opinion of 'non-stick' surfaces, but maybe they got it right. Still, I don't mind doing a bit more potential scrubbing and not have to worry about the surface.

Andy look into seasoning SS pans. I tried it on one I have and was pleased with the result. The process is a little different than steel or CI

I looked it up and it's basically the same as carbon steel pans, just a bit less effective. I may try it as I do like the look of that Magma set.

Still, the carbon steel is so perfect and so versatile I'm likely just going to bring one of my Lodge Carbon Steel skillets in the camp box. Those were a great find and thank you for trying them first.

One of the Chowhound references for seasoning stainless steel, actually recommended the Spresso salt method.

The one place where a stainless skillet might shine is making a sauce, but that isn't a common thing when camping, and if making a wine reduction sauce removes the seasoning from carbon steel, it will remove it from stainless, it will just be less obvious.

Got my set today, nothing like living in the same metro area as a Amazon diet. center! Nice stuff. Only bitch so far is that for the price they couldn't throw in some cloth liners to keep the things from rattling around while nested. After all, these are marketed as a boat and RV item. Are you listening Magma?

Perfect cookware on a boat, or even at home

We are outfitting a new sailing yacht for travels around the world. My wife is a gourmet cook and appreciates great tools for the kitchen. We heard good things about this set of pots/pans but couldn't find one locally to touch and feel before we purchased. Nonetheless we placed our order on Amazon and had the product in two days as usual. We can say now these pans have exceeded our expectations in every way. They are heavy, have a nice balanced feel, the removable handles are rugged and feel solidly attached, and the whole kit absolutely minimizes space as it nests easily. We bought the non-stick set which does what it is supposed to, but the surprise for us is how much we like having non-stick pots (as well as the pans). We've never had non-stick large pots at home, but they are great to have on a boat making cleanup even easier, especially since sometimes a pot has to be used for other duties in a small galley. Our highest praise would be that although we have all sorts of fancy cookware at home we'd be happy to use this set there as well.
w.png

Our highest praise would be that although we have all sorts of fancy cookware at home we'd be happy to use this set there as well.
w.png
Congrats on the set.
I use a second Magma ceramica non stick pan at home all the time for omelets and French toast.
No clean up at all hardly, and best of all no stuck food.

SO Corey-I wish you'd sold me your cast offs, but I pulled the trigger on a new stainless set for me today. It is unlikely I'll use the stainless skillet but the rest of it looks good. Full report after the 2 week Utah adventure coming up in May.

Do the pots rattle that much when travelling? I do not care about scratches but I don't need extra noise.

It came down to these or Snow Peak, and the Snow Peak is not currently available. There were too many negative handle reviews of the Stansport set, so that only left this Magma set.

Thanks for the push to upgrade. My 10 year thrift store junk is done and headed for the recycling.

edit: Received today. It's nicer than I thought, especially the handles. It's also a bit smaller than I thought, which is also good. This set would be perfect if the skillet cover was carbon steel like the Snow Peak version. Still. it's very nice and way better than the thin grocery store junk I'm currently using. Very nice the way the lids and everything all nest together.

Last edited:
Andy, the cheap solution to pot rattle is paper towels.

So, how has the Magma cookware held up for those of you who have been using it?

I didn't pull the trigger earlier, but need to get something of quality for my next trip.

Can't use the current "umpteen year old" stuff anymore after this weekend.

The Magma cookware is great. The handles are particularly nice. These are pans you would be happy to use at home.

Just for reference, if I lost these today, I'd buy another set immediately. These are the last pans you will ever buy for camping. One caveat; for frying, the stainless fry pan is not as good as a carbon steel pan, it's just OK. The ceramic one might be better. My camping set up is this Magma set, a 12 inch steel skillet and a 12 x 20 steel griddle. Covers all the bases well.

I tend to use them for everything. The pans I need for cooking are used for that, and the ones not used are perfect salad bowls for making a big salad.

Since I got my set this spring, they went 2 weeks to Utah and 1 week on the Rubicon used every night. I'm super happy with the upgrade from the thrift cast offs I had previously.

Please see the "It's not cast iron" thread for more info about good fry pans.

Thanks for the update @Cruiserdrew. Really, the only thing holding me back was the fry pan issue you mentioned previously.

Although I googled "snow peak fry pan" and reviewed it on their web site, nothing turned up.

I'll check out the "It's not cast iron" thread for more details. A good fry pan is a must have, although anything is better than what I'm currently using.

I too would buy another set if something happened to mine.
Mine are holding up perfectly and get plenty of use.
My favorite is the omelet pan.

My new set too is the ceramic one, and I am finding it to be non stick like they advertize.
The omelet pan only needs to be wiped out after using it with a paper towel, not a full wash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom