Magic Ball Joint? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2010 LX570 with 90k miles. Several months ago while under the truck doing and oil change and overall inspection I noticed the lower ball joint on both driver and passenger sides appeared to have torn boots. There was a small amount of grease accumalting around the bottom of each. No signs of LBJ issues (movement, noise, etc.), other than the grease. With no sense of urgency, over the past couple of months I've bought the parts and specialty tools needed for the job and planned ahead to find a sufficient window to swap out the LBJ's with new 555's. I opted for new LBJ's rather than reboot, because of the labor involved and not wanting to risk doing it again if trouble crept in down the line.

Today was the day. Truck on stands, wheels off ready to go. To my astonishment, there was no grease on the LBJ's...either of them. None, whatsoever. Close inspection revealed no rips, tears, or cracks in the boots either. Neither boot seems floppy or deflated, so I can only assume they still have grease in them, eliminating the possibility the ALL the grease was flung out and that's why they're clean now. I'm 100% positive of what I saw before. What the heck happened?

Backstory...I bought this truck used this summer and PO told me she had the steering rack redone. Is it possible they had put new LBJ's as part of that and some factory squeeze out would be expected and that's what I saw? Is that even a thing? Alternatively, can a LBJ after 90k miles squeeze out a little grease just on it's own anyway? This all seems weird to me, but I'm not a suspension guy. Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom