MAF sensor cleaning question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2004 LC and the MAF sensor has never been cleaned and I want to clean it. I have the cleaner but I read on another thread that you should disconnect the battery before removing? Does that need to be done? I have a Chevy duramax and have cleaned the MAF several times and never disconnected the battery and all is well.

What is the correct procedure in cleaning a 2004 LC MAF sensor?

I just did mine yesterday. I did not disconnect it.

CRC MAF cleaner. Its at just about every auto parts store.

And yes it is a good idea to disconnect the battery when you clean it.

Is there a good write up on this that can go on the FAQ sticky thread?

Is there a good write up on this that can go on the FAQ sticky thread?

It really is too simple to even get a write up.

1. buy CRC MAF sensor cleaner
2. Disconnect negative terminal.
3. Remove the MAF sensor, it is located on the intake tube between the air box and the throttle body facing upwards, it has an electrical plug attached to it. It has two small phillips screws holding it in place.
4. Spray all of the little sensors you see inside of the MAF carefully.
5. Let air dry
6. Reinstall and reconnect battery terminal.

I clean mine about every 10-15K miles. I check it every oil change.
If you haven't cleaned it in a while or never, you will probably notice a significant increase in power and slightly better mileage.

Layonnn said:
It really is too simple to even get a write up.

1. buy CRC MAF sensor cleaner
2. Disconnect negative terminal.
3. Remove the MAF sensor, it is located on the intake tube between the air box and the throttle body facing upwards, it has an electrical plug attached to it. It has two small phillips screws holding it in place.
4. Spray all of the little sensors you see inside of the MAF carefully.
5. Let air dry
6. Reinstall and reconnect battery terminal.

I clean mine about every 10-15K miles. I check it every oil change.
If you haven't cleaned it in a while or never, you will probably notice a significant increase in power and slightly better mileage.

Let me add to this:

7. Start the engine and let the ECU re-learn idle for 15 minutes.

This is a step I missed the first couple of times. Now I start the vehicle and let it idle for 15 minutes every time the battery is disconnected. It idles and runs much smoother this way.

Let me add to this:

7. Start the engine and let the ECU re-learn idle for 15 minutes.

This is a step I missed the first couple of times. Now I start the vehicle and let it idle for 15 minutes every time the battery is disconnected. It idles and runs much smoother this way.

Thanks for the tip Paul!

Another tip if you have electric assist steering, is to make sure your steering wheel is dead center before disconnecting the battery terminal. Mine was off about fifteen degrees and when I connected the battery terminal the steering wheel was off center by fifteen degrees. It took about half hour of driving to get it back normal. This was the case for my 06 LX.

Guys, thanks so much for posting this up!

This is one of those maintenance items I have been meaning to do for some time, and thanks to this thread I took care of it today..

I can't begin to tell you guys what a difference this made. I'm convinced my MAF hadn't been cleaned prior to today. I'm at almost 130K and the idle/throttle response/power improvement is huge!

For anyone who hadn't done this already DO IT!!!

Totally noob question - I know it's a dumb one, but I know my MAF needs to be cleaned. When I spray it down to let it clean, do I just let it sit there and dry before re-installing? Does this take a long time, or can I simply clean it and re-install after day, 5 mins? How long usually should I wait before re-installing?

MAF cleaner dries pretty much instantaneously, give it a good spray but be careful not to physically touch the sensor wires.

Just a few minutes is all you need. I usually give it a couple of quick sprays and make sure it's dry before putting it back in.

Got to love IH8MUD. Can't believe I didn't know about this simple little maintenance sooner. What s difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom