Machine shop for head work (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looks like I will be pulling the head on my '93 80 in October or November to replace the valve guide seals. Burning about a quart every 500 miles. Oil leaks are minimal. Spark plugs only have a few thousand miles but wet oil on them. I also did a leak down test (first I've done). The results seem reasonable, though a few cylinders leaked out the intake.

Any recommendations for a good machine shop near Knoxville to do the head work?

Leak down test results:
Cyl. Psi in. Psi cyl
1. 80. 70
2. 80. 70
3. 80. 72
4. 80. 65
5. 80. 69
6. 80. 69

I read 20% leak is considered normal. 25% excessive. Leaks were out crank case (seemed normal, all seemed the same, and some also leaked out intake (so leaking intake valves I assume). No bubbles in coolant and none seemed to leak out exhaust.

IMG_20200912_190323.jpg
IMG_20200912_190335.jpg

Hate to hear about needing to pull the head.

I have heard several recommendations for Claxton Machine Shop in the area, but no actual experience.

As for myself, I currently have a 2F off for rebuild at Precision Machine Service in Pigeon Forge. I expect it back in October at some point. Top notch guys to talk with. Can let you know officially about work when I swap in motor.

good luck!

Nik

Thank you for the recommendation. I work with a machinist - he also recommended Claxton Machine Shop. I need to give them a call.

I found B & R Automotive & Diesel Machine Shop on google. The reviews online are at least pretty good. I gave them a call and got the impression it would get expensive quickly, though I am mostly worried about getting good work.

Looking forward to hearing how the 2F turns out.👍

I believe it is Claxton Automotive Machine Shop,
(865) 945-1135.

I have called them, but have not made any further progress myself.

Precision Machine Service gets two thumbs up for me. They have a pretty big backlog so it would take a few weeks. Picked my engine up last week. Top notch guys, took a personal interest in the engine and had the biggest grin while it was being tested on the dyno!

Nik

29082F47-79FE-4C9F-BFDF-07169DB28869.jpeg

Thats pretty awesome. Don't think I've ever seen a 2F on the dyno. So what were the numbers on a fresh rebuild?

What did you have done? Thanks for the reference!

I am posting to try and remember the Claxton name. Finding anyone who can do a 2F these days seems hit or miss.

Chris,
If you are interested is a shorter drive, Goza Machine shop in Acworth did the machine and assembly on a 2F for me 4'ish years ago and one of my 3Bs this spring. Most of his work is high end / high power motors for the hotrod and exotic sports car market, but Tommy enjoys the traditional motors too and the 2F/3B fit that role for him.

Thats pretty awesome. Don't think I've ever seen a 2F on the dyno. So what were the numbers on a fresh rebuild?

140hp at 3300
250 torque at 2200

the dyno was part of the build package so was fun to see what a 2F would do on a dyno run

as to the build, intent was more reliability than performance so stayed away from “hi-po” stuff.

.030 shave on head
New ITM .040 pistons
New valve springs
New camshaft (stock duration)
New lifters
Chromium Rings
Polished crank, no turning
Black paint (the silver and green were me)

:beer:

140hp at 3300
250 torque at 2200

the dyno was part of the build package so was fun to see what a 2F would do on a dyno run

as to the build, intent was more reliability than performance so stayed away from “hi-po” stuff.

.030 shave on head
New ITM .040 pistons
New valve springs
New camshaft (stock duration)
New lifters
Chromium Rings
Polished crank, no turning
Black paint (the silver and green were me)

:beer:

Sir,
With the head shaved and the block bored, what was the net compression ratio? Thanks

PS Congratulations on your restored 2F

Sir,
With the head shaved and the block bored, what was the net compression ratio? Thanks

PS Congratulations on your restored 2F

Larry - don’t have net compression yet, will certainly run those for baseline once swap is done... nice Sunny today so old one may start coming out today.

Nik

Precision Machine Service gets two thumbs up for me. They have a pretty big backlog so it would take a few weeks. Picked my engine up last week. Top notch guys, took a personal interest in the engine and had the biggest grin while it was being tested on the dyno!

Nik

View attachment 2486950
Still happy with the work? I have oil in my coolant and need some work done...

Nik

View attachment 2486950
Still happy with the work? I need to go through my 2f again.

Text sent

nik

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom