LX570 vs Jeep (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No one disputes Jeep’s off road capability and that they’re getting nicer road manners.

Jeep’s problem is...they break.

A lot.

Last edited:
Interesting read. The Jeep Rubicon is gaining up on LC, Land Rover and Mercedes G Wagon and easily winning over by price, power to weight ratio, off-roading capabilities, fuel economy etc.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/jee...ass-land-rover-discovery-off-road-comparison/

What a bunch of :censor:!

For example:

The Lexus' surprisingly plasticky cabin was comfortable but not user-friendly; buttons littered the front half of the cabin, and even with the third-row seats deleted, the smaller-than-expected cargo area was hard to access due to its tailgate.

Seriously?

:rofl:

My brother-in-law has a modified (and very hip looking) Rubicon with all the bells, whistles, lights, winches, DC tires etc.. I can go head to head off-road with my (relatively) stock LX570 and have a much nicer ride to and from the trail. Plus.. the valet always parks my truck up front at Sunday brunch.. :)

I like the new JL, but yea, not really a comparison that I would make. Very intrigued by the Wrangler pickup, on paper at least. Mid size pickup with solid axles, lockers and disconnecting sway bars, yes please. Oh and they’ll offer a diesel.

I gave the article a fair read, I really did. There are bigger reasons we own cruisers than these type of comparison tests. I don’t think anybody on this forums wishes an updated cruiser with all new Tech came out every couple of years. I agree with @Markuson in that none of us doubt Jeep’s off road capabilities , but 100k miles, and lots of repairs later, it’s basically ready for the glue factory. Traveling in very remote areas, long ways from cell signal, there really is no way to put a value on which truck is most likely to get you back home.

I like the new JL, but yea, not really a comparison that I would make. Very intrigued by the Wrangler pickup, on paper at least. Mid size pickup with solid axles, lockers and disconnecting sway bars, yes please. Oh and they’ll offer a diesel.
The JL is definitely more refined and lots of improvements over the JK in terms of reliability and off-roading capabilities. I am waiting for the diesel one to be available for order...shhhhh.

If it's the same "eco" diesel in the Cherokee I'd stear clear, nothing but trouble. Haven't really seen a new school diesel I was jealous of to be honest.

While cruising down the highway, the LX rides phenomenally; however, there's a huge amount of body roll when cornering and a preposterous amount of brake dive on every stop.

This is absolutely curious to me. While no ballerina, my impression of the LX AHC system is that it has notably little roll and dive. With active cross-linked suspension mitigating roll, along with a second spring rate on the front axle specifically to reduce brake dive... Are they making this stuff up?

Seriously, I drive my cars hard. I've tracked cars. I've driven the LX vigorously on tight switchback mountain roads - hard. I daily switch between my LX and full coilovered Porche 911 turbo so I know what it means to have solid body control. The LX is a heavy car and still fundamentally a body on frame truck. But it has great roll resistance and minimal brake dive for the beast that it is.

I almost wonder if they didn't load all their gear into the LX because it has so much room compared to the others? And then fault it in dynamic performance for carrying more than its fair share?!

Gotta give it to Chrysler for having the balls to make a removable top solid axle 4x4. Toyota doesn't have that kind of balls. The most Toyota of today will stick their neck out is by putting slanted headlights on the 4runner and selling bigger sway bars through TRD. I usually see one or two wranglers in the shop a month. In the last 2 months I've seen at least 3 Jk's with leaking head gaskets. All three had 70k or less miles. I haven't worked on a new wrangler yet. The G-wagon is kinda cool. It costs so much not sure what you would use it for exception maybe driving to your organic yoga class. I wouldn't put any stock in the review these guys give. It takes them 1.5hrs to swap a tire? And it's a donut? Hope none of them broke a nail.

No one disputes Jeep’s off road capability and that they’re getting nicer road manners.

Jeep’s problem is...they break.

A lot.

There are a few stereotypes which are mostly true with Jeeps, one being they are easy to work on because the technology is relatively simple (can also be read “old”). IMO, the one standout between JKs and LC200s was that whatever you want to modify on a JK (or whatever breaks), you can pretty much do yourself, even if all you have are your grandfather’s hand-me-down tools (as long as he had metric and SAE).

I’ve only looked at the JL a little bit. While much more refined, it has come at the cost of complexity, especially the engine. I imagine that your local mechanic will have a harder time fixing issues on the JL.

Wheelbase on the Gladiator is huge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom