LX570 Hidden Winch mount with Mods (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All, just wanted to share my experience with installing the Trail Tailor Hidden Winch Mount on my 2011 LX as well as the mods I made for my specific needs. First thing to understand is that the version that I bought is designed for the LC and is not an exact fit for the LX when it comes to the bumper and fairlead placement. Attaching the HWM to the truck is extremely straightforward and there were ZERO issues there.

I know some folks have installed the winch to the HWM prior to installing it to the truck but I had no problems installing the winch after the HWM was attached to the truck. Just FYI.

Thanks to fellow forum member @mceagle555 for his help during the installation!

The only challenge is that once installed, there is a sizable space between the fairlead attachment portion and the LX bumper.

1653666342068.png

I did not do my research ahead of time and was initially disappointed. There is a YouTube video by @99toylc that I did not find until after I'd already cut a hole in my bumper. The video describes using an additional fairlead as a "spacer" which is the route I ended up taking. I went with a Warn Epic as the "spacer" and a Factor 55 1.5" for the exterior fairlead.

1653666573838.png

1653666615690.png

Here is the end result after the spacers and cleaning up the hole I cut out. I added some trim around the edges and I'm very happy with the final result and appearance (ignore the scrapes from the large rock on the bottom of the bumper :rolleyes:).

1653666831719.png

1653666873421.png

Last edited:
I made some mods that I had not seen before on other installs that others may (or may not) find useful.

First, you are instructed to the the bracket that supports the thin metal bar running around the front of the truck that the bumper attaches to. I removed it completely and replaced with a steel "mending brace" from Lowes. This gave me the room to keep the control box mounted to the winch and saved a ton of time as well as the cost of the necessary extra #2 gauge wire. You just need to put a 90-degree twist in the brace and it works fine. A vice and heavy monkey wrench did the trick nicely.

1653667366958.png

One of the biggest challenges I personally was facing was the fact that I had my air compressor mounted to the original aluminum crash bar so I need to determine where it was going to be relocated. I did NOT want to have to re-route the wiring and air lines so keeping it near the original location was ideal. Fortunately, I have a buddy with a new welder and we tacked a couple of steel bars to the HWM and the compressor mounted right up to it with no problems at all. VERY happy with that part of the project as well. In fact, it's probably secured better than it was originally.

Please, don't judge the welding. Between my friend and I, we have about 30 minutes of welding experience. So, I'm not too disappointed with the result and it's very secure/strong.

1653667848530.png

1653667902595.png

1653667982689.png

Not trying to judge your welds, but that doesn't look like very good penetration and you have a fair amount of weight on a long lever arm. It might be worth practicing on some scrap coupons, and reinforcing the welds once you get a little more experienced?

Not trying to judge your welds, but that doesn't look like very good penetration and you have a fair amount of weight on a long lever arm. It might be worth practicing on some scrap coupons, and reinforcing the welds once you get a little more experienced?
Hey @CharlieS , I know that you are not "judging" in a hateful way. I've seen enough of your posts to know you have other people's best interests in mind when you comment and I appreciate everything you've contributed over the years.

Regarding the welding, it may not be "penetrating" as much as possible but I did test it by putting a considerable part of my 205 pounds on the ends of the bars and they didn't budge. I would have tested by standing on them but was worried about bending them out of shape. To my inexperienced mind, that seems to be a "good enough" test but I have enough years behind me to know that ignorance is NOT bliss in these situations. So, if you feel that I need to add some more support in some way, let me know and I'll be happy to consider it.

Thanks again for taking the time to review my work!

PS. Looking to play with welding MUCH more now that a friend has invested in the welder. It's kinda like having a friend with a boat. :)

Hi @BigMF , with the bumper back on the LX, how do you get to the handle on the Badlands winch to engage/disengage the gears for pulling the rope out? Is it a matter of opening the hood or do you just electronically roll it out and not bother with disengaging?

Good job, and thanks for posting up your work. The photos are very helpful, too. Many people are reluctant to post their work in fear of being judged, while in reality many of us are just doing the best we can, and do plenty of things which seem 'good enough.' Cheers and good work.
And the rock scar is a badge of courage!

Thanks for this write-up. Looking at the amount of space I'll have from the top of the engine bay, I can see I'll be able to engage/disengage the winch gears by 'reaching in'. I'll be going through the install on my 2015 very soon and I"ll try and document that process.

Hi @BigMF , with the bumper back on the LX, how do you get to the handle on the Badlands winch to engage/disengage the gears for pulling the rope out? Is it a matter of opening the hood or do you just electronically roll it out and not bother with disengaging?
Hey, sorry for the late response. Somehow missed the notification. I reach in from the top. There is plenty of room on my 2011.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom