LX570 engine ticking noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FWIW mine (2010 LX) sounds just like that. As an aside - that's the old style radiator I think, so it'll be bound to crack and fail.

Thank you for the reply. What years have the new style radiator, in case I needed to order one?

to be very honest with you, understand the ticking noise from a video may not be correct analysis for forum members unless @myunrealname says the video is accurately capturing the noise.
That being said, I dont see anything out of ordinary from the engine noise. LX/LC is an 8 cylinder engine and can be a bit noisy. That being said LX570 has some plastic covers in engine bay which reduce engine noise to outsider when the hood is closed.

If you still think there is a bit of ticking noise, you can do two things to test it further.
1. Check the serpentine belt area to see if its wobbling and spray some water on the serpentine belt from a safe distance while its running to see if it makes any difference. (if you think the sound changed or vanished, the ticking sound can be an early sign of your pulley or belt wearing out.)
2. Use a large can of seafoam or 2x small cans of seafoam into your engine oil and see if its making any difference. (If its coming from lifters, this can soften or solve the sound)

Uh, no. Don’t go putting solvents into the oil to see if it changes a sound that isn’t a problem. These engines are well known to have a bit of valve train tick, and even a little bit of “bottom end”/rod noise. And yet they happily go multiple hundreds of thousands of miles making these sounds.. with the oil pressure gauge at 1/4-scale 98% of the time.

That engine sounds totally fine to me.

Quite a few of us run synthetic 5w-30 which is recommended in this engine in most of the world, and it does seem to quiet down the valvetrain noise just a bit.

Edit: if you want true peace of mind send an oil sample off to Blackstone for analysis. It’s not expensive and they’ll tell you definitively whether there is anything to worry about.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies folks. For now, I think this noise is not alarming. I will see about the blackstone oil test on the next oil change which will be in ~3k miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom