LX570 (2017) Open Pore wood Steering wheel refinish (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After an unsuccessful search for a LC I just bought a 2017 LX570 last night. I'm guessing the former owner used a lot of hand sanitizer or lotion because the finish on the wood of the steering wheel looks like a dark buildup or softening of the finish itself. I drove a 100 for 14 years and got good at searching here. I figured I would easily find some info or a writeup or on refinishing or oiling or something but couldn't find much. I was shocked when I saw how much a new steering wheel was. Happy to be back on IH8MUD.

After an unsuccessful search for a LC I just bought a 2017 LX570 last night. I'm guessing the former owner used a lot of hand sanitizer or lotion because the finish on the wood of the steering wheel looks like a dark buildup or softening of the finish itself. I drove a 100 for 14 years and got good at searching here. I figured I would easily find some info or a writeup or on refinishing or oiling or something but couldn't find much. I was shocked when I saw how much a new steering wheel was. Happy to be back on IH8MUD.

I have an area of discoloration that is lighter and was similarly concerned when I bought the vehicle.

Warranty - what warranty?
Next I tried water and microfiber. Removed some dirt, everything else was left the same. I went a little more aggressive with some diluted APC, nothing. Then I hit it with my strongest degreaser, again some dirt and slight staining came off onto the towel, but no difference.

Gave up as I thought about sandpaper and oils and stains. This not a show truck as Im now often telling myself. It has not gotten worse whatsoever and will continue to wear gracefully IMO.

Show me what you’re dealing with.

And welcome back! Where is the intro pic? Got more and more ‘16+s everyday.

Here is a detail shot of the wheel

752E09A7-1700-41D7-A197-186BD7AFC94D.jpeg

3F729E0F-3028-4B2E-829D-2F9AA330AEC8.jpeg

Looks worse than mine unfortunately. Probably a lady with many rings?

But, since it is REAL wood you can make it better.
My first step would be water wipe down, melamine sponge the f out of it.
If its leveled and colors are more uniform, then do a light coating of pure mineral oil.
If not, isopropyl and very high grit sand (3000+) and repeat as needed.
You wont see the color be right until the oil is applied. And make sure its light, as in a dab on micro applied around the entire thing.
Let it soak deep into the wood.

Then get your windscreen UV tinted.

I don't think you'll ever get it to look acceptable again...

If it were me, I'd drop the coin on brand new steering wheel- OR you could see if someone could refinish it for you.

Madera is well regarded in the MB community, I don't see Toyota on their list- but could be worth talking to them

Looks worse than mine unfortunately. Probably a lady with many rings?

But, since it is REAL wood you can make it better.
My first step would be water wipe down, melamine sponge the f out of it.
If its leveled and colors are more uniform, then do a light coating of pure mineral oil.
If not, isopropyl and very high grit sand (3000+) and repeat as needed.
You wont see the color be right until the oil is applied. And make sure its light, as in a dab on micro applied around the entire thing.
Let it soak deep into the wood.

Then get your windscreen UV tinted.
Thanks for the response, this is in line with what I was thinking, that I might be able to make it look better, not perfect. Mineral is a great idea. All I had in my mind was mild sanding and lemon oil based on experience with guitar fretboards. But the last thing I want to do is make it look worse experimenting.

If it were me, I'd drop the coin on brand new steering wheel- OR you could see if someone could refinish it for you.

Madera is well regarded in the MB community, I don't see Toyota on their list- but could be worth talking to them

Thanks for the link, ill see what they say. There is a similar shop here locally I will be trying as well.

Im sure they are good but thats not automotive wood in the LX. Its wood wood.
Wood people can deal with it better than any auto people. I would not personally take it to any auto people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom