LX470 vs. GX470 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

New owner of a 2009 GX 470 and enjoy every minute behind the wheel. Almost missed this chance after we babysat our friends LX 570 while they lived abroad as corporate transfer. They warned that their car “had problems and needed to be driven at least weekly.” So we did and upon their USA return they were promptly rid of it. Not a very great introduction to Lexus for us. But I still pined for an American version of the Prado I had seen overseas.

I am glad I did based on GX 470 midsize, superior acceleration, road manners, and affordablility. ML sound is far better. Two different autos! No regrets on our ownership of the GX470! We have a keeper.

We own both a 100 and a GX.

GX Pros and Cons
+Much more nimble than the 100
+Interior is comfortable and really nice
+Prices are great right now
-More cramped to work on than a 100
-Rear air suspension is not as robust as the LX AHC
-Common problem with leaking transfer case actuator
-HORRIBLE rear door

We got the GX in order to get my wife into something bigger and safer than her Forester. Now that she's used to the larger vehicle, she's willing to get a 100 or 200. And I'm enjoying the search!

I think the GX is an incredible vehicle for the money right now. But I HATE the rear door with a passion. In that arena I'd say the LX/LC has one of the best rear access systems ever designed and the GX has one of the worst.

The only reason I would recommend a GX over an LX is if the driver truly wants something that feels smaller than the LX. Otherwise, to me, the LX wins all other comparisons by a country mile.

I'm so glad this thread came back. I don't know what I would do if I had to go search for a gx forum to look at.

If for whatever reason I didn't want or couldn't get a 100, the GX (a.k.a American Prado) would be high on my list. I'd probably go with the newest, lowest mileage GX470 I could afford.

They definitely have a different feel than a 100, but they're are a different vehicle so that's to be expected. Build quality and comfort is excellent in my admittedly limited experience with the GX. After driving Land Rovers for years, the rear door layout doesn't bother me, although I perfect the LC layout.

Here are the weights:

GX470 = 4,871 lb
LX470 = 5401 lbs

500 pounds makes a difference, and 2"W smaller makes a big difference in parking.

Not that I care because I got it for safety, capability, longevity, reliability. Love driving this tank.

We have a 2000 LX and a 2008 GX (my wife's). You can definitely feel the weight difference between the two. The GX is MUCH quicker than the LX. However, I like the LX more - the styling and just the overall solidity.

2cam

I would take a 4Runner over just about any GX except for the current generation all day long. The overall construction and paint quality of the GX isn't as good, the dashes crack and bubble and Toyota is no longer offering free replacements, the air suspension isn't very good, the KDSS system has its own set of issues, that rear door is ridiculous, that thing about them feeling top heavy is NOT a myth, and so on and so forth. Have had many blizzard pearl ones come in with all the paint flaking off the upper edges of the doors and roof in literal chunks like 80s and 90s American cars. It's not as bad as say, anything Nissan makes, but if your standard of quality is the 100, you're in for a disappointment. As for the ML system, it's pretty much trash in anything before the GX460 and 200 series and the oldest GX470s often have blown speakers just like any other old Lexus with ML.

My 2013 4Runner Limited 4x4 by contrast (which I only bring up because the "just a fancy 4runner" observation is brought up frequently, even though they aren't that directly related). has been nothing if not impressive. Those things take a beating, less stuff to break than our 100s and 200s, too, and the JBL system is phenomenal (just another Harman International bicycle spoke anyway like ML, HK, Revel etc). Plus bluetooth audio streaming. And to think i used to completely disregard the 4Runner. Even with the 100s, 200s, and various G wagens we’ve had, I’m genuinely impressed with it, and that doesn’t happen often.

Last edited:
Smaller is negligible. Personal taste aside, the LX is a better vehicle than the GX - it is a fact.

LX470 - 193″ L x 76″ W x 73″ H
GX470 - 188″ L x 74″ W x 75″ H
GX460 - 189″ L x 74″ W x 74″ H
I totally agree.

But the GX 470 just feels much smaller than the LX. Even though it's pretty close to the 100 in size, the feel is definitely different. Some people, like my wife, really like that smaller, quicker feel. I much prefer the massive feeling of the 100 cabin.

I totally agree.

But the GX 470 just feels much smaller than the LX. Even though it's pretty close to the 100 in size, the feel is definitely different. Some people, like my wife, really like that smaller, quicker feel. I much prefer the massive feeling of the 100 cabin.
Agreed, it feels a lot smaller. Also it has that HORRIBLE rear door. I am sure it has been mentioned 100 times, but I CANNOT STRESS THAT ENOUGH.

My buddy has one, I've rock crawled it, gone on trips in it, camping, etc etc. Its not that I dont like it, but I would NEVER take one over my 100 series.

I am a retired Lexus and Toyota rep. I can tell you that the GX gas more simalarities with the LX then the 4runner. The GX is a smart choice if you do like more bang for the buck. Also, eventhough the GX has a slightly smaller fuel tank it still has slightly better range (about 45 miles) then the LX do to better fuel econemy. The GX and LX share the same drivetraine but the GX is lighter in weight so it gets better fuel econemy, accelarates faster and climbes better. The GX is not tippy in the slightest when compaired to other SUVs and in fact the LX is more top heavy then the GX. Where a LX will excell is for large familys. Hardcore off road enthusiest will love the GX or LX and it's worth noting that the GX's smaller size will help it get into tight spaces easier. In the end I think in todays market, for a large family or status of having the top of the line, go for the LX. If you want more (stock) range, better fuel econemy, with basically the same capability, and a lower mileage used vehicle for less money, go for the GX.

I've had both a 100 and Gx... also several Tacos, 60's, 80, 4runners... today I am driving the GX around. On the GX the rear door is awful, any Land Cruiser tailgate is superior. No rear heat, no power to the 3rd row windows, the goofy electronics where every time you disconnect the battery you then have to re-program every door, window, and sunroof is just stupid. The nav is dated, but they all are... at least it's fairly easy to bypass and plug something better into. I like the auto-up windows, like how the starter is more of a button, but then the GX is no 100 series, that is for certain. Yes it's quicker, a tiny bit more fuel efficient, and great gateway vehicle for someone not sure they want to get into the whole wheeling/overlanding hobby, or good 2nd rig for a guy who wants to trick his wife into getting her a vehicle he really knows could be his someday. Yes that was me I'll be the first to admit, and I've lived that one out.

All that said, I will likely own another 100 series some day. I will never buy another GX.

I have both, 00lx and 08gx. The Lx is new to me but I've had the Gx 3 years. I'm going to go against the grain and say I prefer the Gx because of the rear door. I love rear swing doors. Probably do to the fact my first 4x4s were Troopers and Monteros. Just feels right to me. The Gx feels much sportier due to size, weight and transmission. Also the Gx seems to go much lower with the AHC than the Lx, something my dogs appreciate. Really no wrong answer 🥰

Had I known a year ago what I do now about the GX I could have been swayed that way based on the price point of the GX vs the 100. With patience one can find a GX that is several years newer and with lower miles than a 100 of the same $$$. While I prefer the tailgate of the 100 the swinging door of the GX doesn't bother me having driven Land Rovers for the last 20 years.

Overall, my 100 is exactly what I was looking for when I replaced my Discovery and the larger size suits my family of 5 (3 kids in car seats still) better than the smaller GX would have. I'm exceptionally pleased with my Land Cruiser. IMO, the 100 is the gold standard, but the GX is an excellent vehicle in its own right and is a solid choice for someone that doesn't necessarily need the size and space of the 100.

I think the issue with the GX is that like ALL Toyota utility vehicles, the underlying vehicle is spectacular. However, add all the luxury crap Toyota does to the GX, but then do that to a cost cut measure versus the 100 series, and that's where things kind of fall short. Electronics, the awful cracking dashboards, the finickier air suspension in lieu of the hydraulic system in the LX (something I certainly never thought I'd count as a pro given the disaster that other hydraulic suspensions can be), and so on and so forth. I don't have any doubt the Cruier Prado internationally is a great vehicle. But when it comes to the Lexified model, I'd prefer the full size Cruiser or LX any day of the week. I'd place the 4runner at least as an equal to the GX not necessarily because the GX has so much in common with the 4R, but because the 4R is closer to what the global Prado is elsewhere.

Interesting back and forth GX vs LX-LC. Again, was not impressed with the LX 570. Considered a 2013 GX 460 till I drove one <90k mi. dealership restored was “soft, top heavy, sluggish response, underpowered “ IMHO. Gave up on any Lexus altogether till I read about the “GX 470 subculture” here. So bought a last of 470 generation 2009. Brute cast iron 4.7 truck motor beats aluminum 4.6 sedan engine. And the styling from 2010 forward (esp. 2014+) is so generic. While it can’t beat the mystique of the 60 series the 470 works for me. It is everything the 460 is not. I’m sure 100 series owners think that way about the 200 series cost independent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom