LX470 vs. GX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey guys, new member here. I have an 04 GX. Does anybody know of any differences with the 2UZ-FE in the LX vs GX? I know the drivetrains are supposedly identical but I’ve noticed that the engine covers are different and the oil dipsticks are on the opposite sides. Prob just small differences within different models but just curious. Figured this would be a good thread to find out. Thanks!

As an owner of two very nice LX’s sold here on Mud, 450 & 470 I wanted to comment here for those that will research this topic on the right SUV to buy for their family. I recently purchased an 09 GX 470. Previously, I would’nt even consider them because I had to have the LX. The LX 450 was an absolute beast, and I would buy another if I could find one clean enough for my tastes. The LX 470 was very nice and a great vehicle all around, however boring. It served us very well and ran like new at 200 K. It was very smooth, but drove like a barge. The fit and finish and quality were impeccable. The atmosphere was overly sterile. I can’t tell you how impressed I am with the GX 470 I recently bought. Not only is it much more responsive and handles so much better; but the quality, fit and finish or on par with the LX. The Mark Levinson system sounds night and day better than in the LX. The vehicle overall feels more drivable and every-day maneuverable. Unless you need the little bit of extra space of the LX, or are worried about the prestige. This is a no brainer. The GX is the best vehicle for the money.

As an owner of two very nice LX’s sold here on Mud, 450 & 470 I wanted to comment here for those that will research this topic on the right SUV to buy for their family. I recently purchased an 09 GX 470. Previously, I would’nt even consider them because I had to have the LX. The LX 450 was an absolute beast, and I would buy another if I could find one clean enough for my tastes. The LX 470 was very nice and a great vehicle all around, however boring. It served us very well and ran like new at 200 K. It was very smooth, but drove like a barge. The fit and finish and quality were impeccable. The atmosphere was overly sterile. I can’t tell you how impressed I am with the GX 470 I recently bought. Not only is it much more responsive and handles so much better; but the quality, fit and finish or on par with the LX. The Mark Levinson system sounds night and day better than in the LX. The vehicle overall feels more drivable and every-day maneuverable. Unless you need the little bit of extra space of the LX, or are worried about the prestige. This is a no brainer. The GX is the best vehicle for the money.

The availability and affordability of the GX can't be beat. I have a little bit of both.... LX470 is our reliable tank / bus with plenty of room. V8 4runner handles great and has plenty of power. If the GX470 didn't need have the barn door and the poorly designed center console, I would have easily got one over a 4runner.

Shhhhh..... its a well kept secret.

I don't think I could ever settle for a GX. Certainly not if a LX or LC was available. No way.

Fun to drive! You definitely hear that a lot when the LX vs. GX talk comes up. My theory is, if you’re gonna build the truck and add a ton of weight to it, the whole “handling” and “fun to drive” factor just gets thrown out the window. Either one is going to be a tank.

I’ve never driven a GX but honestly cannot imagine something that big and heavy being fun to drive. I also can’t imagine “fun to drive” is on anyone’s criteria list when buying a big family vehicle in the first place. I got a GS430 (was my brother’s old daily driver) with a ton of suspension mods and exhaust/intake and it handles worlds better than my stock LS430, but either one is the furthest thing from a sports car. A stock 3-Series would run circles around either one.

I guess if you do not need the size of an LX, than a GX would be an amazing platform to get instead with the added bonus of being lighter and more nimble if that’s important to you in a family vehicle.

Our '08 GX470 is a sports car compared to the '00 LX470 (on BFG 285/75/16). I'd say it is even on par with the '02 LS430. I'm not sure how it would compare to the newer VVTi and 5-speed LX models.

Having worked on the GX and LX, there is no comparison in the beefiness of the suspension parts and axles. I also prefer the AHC over the GX rear airbags. It is also nice to have adjustable torsion bars on the LX to adjust for sag.

Other parts on the LX are sturdier too. First time I waxed my hood of the GX I was surprised how much flex it had. Seems to be much thinner steel. The GX front calipers are notorious for seizing. The rear seats are quite small for our teenagers and are very upright and uncomfortable for them for longer drives. The GX sounds system is very good and I like the Torsen center diff and better gas mileage.

For daily drives into busy areas and commutes, I'd pick the GX. The LX is often too large for the small parking areas in urban areas. For longer family trips, the LX.

The GX470 is a 4Runner, the LX470 is a Land Cruiser. Big difference between the 4R and the LC. Same difference between the GX and the LX.

Last edited:
BullElk, was right there with you. Accept less, no way. It’s true the LX is more vehicle in every way, and the sticker and maintenance costs reflect that(AHC mostly). My point with my post was to inform searchers that contrary to the brain trust in the forums, don’t Disqualify the GX because you don’t have first-hand experience with it. Find a good example and drive it. And see if you are not impressed. I almost didn’t buy this one because of the posts I had read from the forums. The purpose of engaging in this conversation. The PO did some nice upgrades and took very good care of the vehicle. First time I drove it I said wow, I look forward to driving it every time after. When we owned the LX. I would drive my company vehicle instead on the weekends and leave the LX in the garage. On a sidenote, I also drove a GX460 and really liked it, but I have to admit I’m partial to the 4.7 and the driving experience is not the same. I prefer the 470. The rear door Is a matter of personal preference, I didn’t mind it and my wife actually loved it. Again, I’m not an off-roader and use my vehicles like 95% of the rest of the population. On the road with the comforting thought that I could go off road if I ever wanted to. Hope this info helps the next guy..

I respect your information and opinions. I have ridden in a GX470 and driven a GX460. On an acute personal level, I was not impressed riding in the 470. I was ok impressed driving the 460. On a more general level. I am certainly impressed with and GX because it is a Lexus, that builds the best rolling product available. However, no way would I be more impressed with a Lexus or anything else that is not precisely designed, assembled, priced and sold to specifically travel the earth, not streets in the US, but the earth to get from point A to point B. The GX is second.

My personality only wants first in most any situation if at all possible. Just my personality in athletics, vehicles, boots, my bow weapon, the arrows I build for my bow, etc. etc. IF I can responsibly afford it. Gratefully, we have the LXs and LCs availabe in the US where I can afford a 10+ year old copy that will still get me anywhere and back. And nearly every single day I am "anywhere" in the woods and have been fortunate to have the best to go to and fro.

My sister has a GX and I had a V8 4Runner and both are just too cramped for me to get comfortable in.
I tried to adjust to it but just could not.

My '01 Tundra is the most comfortable long distance truck that I have really but the 100 is close.

Great stuff from all, thanks BullElk. Not trying to disagree just for the sake of it. Everyone researches before they buy vehicles now and this is a thread they will come across if they are making this GX LX decision. I’m sharing personal experience from OWNERSHIP of both vehicles. I’m 6 foot two and 240 pounds(shoulders, not belly) and both vehicles are comfortable for me front and rear. When I purchased the GX, the PO was 6 foot 200 pounds and we both rode together comfortably multiple times in the front seats with plenty of elbow room. I was actually very impressed with the room in the rear seats as well, but you won’t get three in the back of the GX comfortably like you will in the LX. The third row, however is just for kids only in both! Did I mention the ML system in the GX makes the LX look stupid. Why??

I'm glad this thread is still alive, as I'm currently looking at both LX and GX. I'm leaning towards a GX as we live in a city and I view it as a big/good step up from our recently totaled 2003 Highlander. My '83 FJ60 is great, but no safety for the kids.

Fun facts: the dimensions of a '03 Highlander and a '83 FJ60 are real similar. GX 470 is bigger than both. Late-90s FJ80 is bigger than all. These are vehicles that I've driven & used, that all seem different sizes in my head than they really are...

Yea I totally agree with that decision. I wish a lot more folks...or rather everyone would by GXs. 🆒:shifty:

My wife drives an 07 GX470. I prefer my Land Cruisers for the reasons mentioned above which do not need a regurgitation here. That GX was 80k miles at the time; pristine in and out with an impeccable service history. Now, imagine a drop dead gorgeous 07 LC with 80k miles, rust free, one owner, perfect service history with everything done at the same dealer on time (even the timing belt based on age and not mileage!) with new Michelin tires all around. Imagine that LC's price, and then subtract $15k. You can not buy a better vehicle for the money!

I just found you can register a vehicle as "yours" on the lexus site with a vin. Cool that you can lookup service history.

I found these gems on one I'm looking at in Seattle, WA:
-PS pump needs replacement, diagnosed two weeks ago
-Needs new AC condenser
-"~LOW OIL LIGHT FLICKERS AT TIMES WHEN DRIVING. USED TO BE ONLY UPHILL. NOW MOST OF THE TIME. SOMETIMES COMES ON SOLID. GUEST ADDED .5 QUART OIL ABOUT A MONTH AGO. " Soooo... drove around with low oil a bunch?!
-Heat shield at tail pipe no longer secured "due to severe rust and corrosion"
-Older service records from Pittsburgh, PA. Probably picked up a bit of rust there.

No timing belt service mentioned either. For the $$, no deal. Good resource to have, though.

**I looked up a 2003 I'd considered local here in Oregon. It was sold in PA, too! No mention of it's service after 90k, and it's at 132k. Lexus didn't mention the timing belt, but it had a sticker for that service. Maybe the Lexus site only references internal Lexus service records? Guess the Carfax style lookup gives you more for actually spending $.

Last edited:
i owned both side by side. a 2000 LX470 and a 2003 GX. i prefer the LX but i will say the GX isn't a 4runner. you should drive both and get what fits you the best. both are exceptional cars.

Keep in mind that GXs beginning with 2005 have a VVTi engine, and 2007+ have the updated electronics (better GPS and aux in).

2005+gx470 if you waited months and months for an lx470 to appear without any luck and just want to get into a capable suv asap... i was close to going gx but the increased size, reputation, and experience with my 80 series wouldn't allow me to settle for anything less then a 100, unless it was a 200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom