LX470 Tire upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tabraha

Hello My Name is: TAD
SILVER Star
Threads
Well I figured I'd post these in case anyone down the road brought up questions the search function would give something useful to them. Hard to believe that this hasn't really been addressed in a thread too well before now. I had 285/75R16 Dueler A/T Revo's put on today and here are some pictures. The tires fit fine even with the Lexus height control set to low (in case grandma needs to get in one day ::) ) I'll try and link a couple of pictures so that there is a little bit of a reference point. The truck looks so much nicer now. Can't wait to do some "field testing".

Here is the new 285/75R16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo and the OEM 265/70R16 Michelin LTX for a comparison:
LTXandDUELER.jpg

This is the new set of Revo's with the height control at low / normal / high
DuelerLNHcontrol.jpg

P1010007.jpg

Long Term Update 02/18/2012
Wow I made a good decision back then. There wasn't any feedback then but I've gone through 2 sets of Revos now totaling 105,116 miles (uncorrected speedo so actually more than that) and they have treated me well. Especially considering I've averaged a bit over 50k out of each set. One set I ran for 47k and probably changed a bit prematurely and the second set I ran for 58k and would not have wanted to go any further with.

My other tire choices and experiences thus far

285/75R16 Cooper STT's:
Cooper_Discoverer_stt.jpg

Be careful as Cooper has the ST (all-terrain) and the STT (more like a mud-terrain). Ridiculous branding idea that causes entirely too much confusion! I will say that the ST were good on my Taco though. The STT's on the 100 have done very well thus far. Much closer to a mud-terrain than an all-terrain and much more road noise than the Revo's. I seem to have to watch the air pressure like a hawk as well. They tend to drop pressure with temperature swings a bit more than other tires I've had. Great tire offroad and to be honest I hardly ever put my Super Swampers on anymore unless I just feel like a change.

So far I have 20,050 miles on the Cooper STT's and they are wearing very well. I expect 40k out of them which is good for an aggressive tire like they are. The rubber compound appears to wear well so I may be surprised but 50k is alot to ask for in a tire of this design. Again a bit more road noise but I find the LX to be so well insulated that it does not bother me even on long road trips.

IMAG0408.jpg

IMAG0407.jpg

IMAG0411.jpg

34x10.50 Super Swamper LTB's
:
You better like noise that's all I can say. Not for the faint of heart. :D I love 'em but would never dream of a long road trip on them. For several hour trip to Tellico or Uwharrie I can do it but I'm getting at my limit. It is like driving a Cesna down the road. The grip? Phenomenal. I have 6,962 miles on these 34x10.50R16's. They are showing wear pretty good but have stayed true. Lugs are not chipping at all. They do flat spot overnight. It's all part of the compromise but good grief do they pull. ALL of the miles are on the way to wheel, wheeling and on the way back from wheeling. Some pics below. The other tires with the swamper is a 285/75r16 Revo for comparison.
PICT0995.jpg

PICT0996.jpg

PICT0998.jpg

PICT1006.jpg

PICT1007.jpg

PICT1008.jpg

PICT1182.jpg

PICT1177dsktop.jpg

Last edited:
how do you like the ride quality and noise of the bridgestones vs the michelins? michelin is known to be the quietest tire out, any big difference?

The LTX M/Sis definitely the quietest tire out there. It's also the least capable when there is snow, mud, loose dirt, and even wet grass. I will say that the Dueler Revo's are quieter than the other comparable all-terrain tires and are definitely quiet enough to not be intrusive while giving the vehicle way more flexibility and capability than the LTX's can. To me (personal opinion) the Revo is a good balance of street and off-road manners.

tabraha said:
The LTX M/Sis definitely the quietest tire out there. It's also the least capable when there is snow, mud, loose dirt, and even wet grass. I will say that the Dueler Revo's are quieter than the other comparable all-terrain tires and are definitely quiet enough to not be intrusive while giving the vehicle way more flexibility and capability than the LTX's can. To me (personal opinion) the Revo is a good balance of street and off-road manners.

I'm finding the same thing after a couple thousand miles on the Revo's. I never had issues with the LTX's on snow. Nothing but dirt roads as far as offroading, some of them wet, but not mud bogs so no real tire experience to say one way or the other there.

New Lx's do come with 18's. See the LX FAQ for when wheel sizes changed throughout the model life. This is why there is some confusion in the other tire thread that is going on at the moment.

Last edited:
i also have a 99 lx and i thought mine has 18s i am away from home now and cant check so i may be wrong yours has 16's

If you have 18's on a '99 but they are aftermarket or dealer add-ons for sure. 16's were standard till 2003. In 2003 17's were standard and 18's were optional unless you have an LX in which case 18's were made standard in 2003.

thanks again i am still away so cant check right away but will do so in a few days but i am sure i was going back and forth with christo about tires and checked my size because i thought they were 9 inch rims and he told me no they are 8 inch and thats when i am sort a sure i seen 18 inch on the sticker on the door well but i will check and then i will also get the tape measure out to be absolute thanks again

no need for a tape measure. the tire will have it molded right into its sidewall.

Is the 285/75r16 able to be used with stock ride height of the LC? I am lacking a few inches due to the weight of the new front bumper. :)

DMX84 said:
Is the 285/75r16 able to be used with stock ride height of the LC? I am lacking a few inches due to the weight of the new front bumper. :)
I have 285/75-16's and they fit fine on a stock suspension.

Anyone have any opinions on how the Revo is off-road? I'm deciding on tires and I'm think I want to be somewhere in between Michelin AT2 and BFG AT's. I had Revos on another truck but never really took off-road. Looking for a balance between a road and capable off-road tire.

They did pretty good in mild offroad situations. Somewhere on here is a pic of me sunk to the frame on Revos lol. I have no exp with the AT2's nor the KO2's but the Revo performance is closer to the regular KO than the LTX stockers. Hope that's a good frame of reference.

Some of my old threads make me feel like an old fart. :zilla:

They did pretty good in mild offroad situations. Somewhere on here is a pic of me sunk to the frame on Revos lol. I have no exp with the AT2's nor the KO2's but the Revo performance is closer to the regular KO than the LTX stockers. Hope that's a good frame of reference.

Some of my old threads make me feel like an old fart. :zilla:

It's helpful. I think I'm down to Revo 2's, toyo AT2's.
The Revo, Toyo, come in a E load. Both with 16-17/32" tread depth.

I'm kind of liking the Toyo. I beat on the last set if revo's I had and got 35-40k out of them. Toyo Is offering 50k mile treadlife, Bridgestone no mileage in the LT tires (doesn't really matter that much, but 100s are heavy).

I've still got the first version Revos - 5 of them - and they just won't die (80k+).

Next set will be either a set of KO2s or AT2s most likely.

There are a few 100s on here with the Revo 2s. Hopefully they can chime in on performance.

All I have to say about those Super Swampers is WOW.

The swampers are bias right. I am thinking about getting some irok nd for trail use but those LTB might be an option. I just picked up some 18" LC rims that I am going to use for daily driving.

Yep the LTB's are bias ply. IROK's are more versatile and you wouldn't be giving up too much offroad I wouldn't think. LTB's are a major commitment to noise lol.

I am so jonseing for a set of 285's but my 2000 LX has basically brand new Michelin LTX's on it. These threads are so bad...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom