LX470 Tire upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well I figured I'd post these in case anyone down the road brought up questions the search function would give something useful to them. Hard to believe that this hasn't really been addressed in a thread too well before now. I had 285/75R16 Dueler A/T Revo's put on today and here are some pictures. The tires fit fine even with the Lexus height control set to low (in case grandma needs to get in one day ::) ) I'll try and link a couple of pictures so that there is a little bit of a reference point. The truck looks so much nicer now. Can't wait to do some "field testing".

Here is the new 285/75R16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo and the OEM 265/70R16 Michelin LTX for a comparison:
LTXandDUELER.jpg

This is the new set of Revo's with the height control at low / normal / high
DuelerLNHcontrol.jpg

P1010007.jpg

Long Term Update 02/18/2012
Wow I made a good decision back then. There wasn't any feedback then but I've gone through 2 sets of Revos now totaling 105,116 miles (uncorrected speedo so actually more than that) and they have treated me well. Especially considering I've averaged a bit over 50k out of each set. One set I ran for 47k and probably changed a bit prematurely and the second set I ran for 58k and would not have wanted to go any further with.

My other tire choices and experiences thus far

285/75R16 Cooper STT's:
Cooper_Discoverer_stt.jpg

Be careful as Cooper has the ST (all-terrain) and the STT (more like a mud-terrain). Ridiculous branding idea that causes entirely too much confusion! I will say that the ST were good on my Taco though. The STT's on the 100 have done very well thus far. Much closer to a mud-terrain than an all-terrain and much more road noise than the Revo's. I seem to have to watch the air pressure like a hawk as well. They tend to drop pressure with temperature swings a bit more than other tires I've had. Great tire offroad and to be honest I hardly ever put my Super Swampers on anymore unless I just feel like a change.

So far I have 20,050 miles on the Cooper STT's and they are wearing very well. I expect 40k out of them which is good for an aggressive tire like they are. The rubber compound appears to wear well so I may be surprised but 50k is alot to ask for in a tire of this design. Again a bit more road noise but I find the LX to be so well insulated that it does not bother me even on long road trips.

IMAG0408.jpg

IMAG0407.jpg

IMAG0411.jpg

34x10.50 Super Swamper LTB's
:
You better like noise that's all I can say. Not for the faint of heart. :D I love 'em but would never dream of a long road trip on them. For several hour trip to Tellico or Uwharrie I can do it but I'm getting at my limit. It is like driving a Cesna down the road. The grip? Phenomenal. I have 6,962 miles on these 34x10.50R16's. They are showing wear pretty good but have stayed true. Lugs are not chipping at all. They do flat spot overnight. It's all part of the compromise but good grief do they pull. ALL of the miles are on the way to wheel, wheeling and on the way back from wheeling. Some pics below. The other tires with the swamper is a 285/75r16 Revo for comparison.
PICT0995.jpg

PICT0996.jpg

PICT0998.jpg

PICT1006.jpg

PICT1007.jpg

PICT1008.jpg

PICT1182.jpg

PICT1177dsktop.jpg
Did the 34x10.50 SS fit with or without a lift kit? I am trying to get the largest tire for a 06 lx 470. Even if I have to buy a switch to keep the AHC in high at all speeds. Thanks

I had no issues with the AHC on high.

Yep, fine around town on N and offroad on H. No box. You sure know you have some big heavy tires on there though! (not that the AHC box would help that but just be prepared for some significant rolling resistance)

Did the 34x10.50 SS fit with or without a lift kit? I am trying to get the largest tire for a 06 lx 470. Even if I have to buy a switch to keep the AHC in high at all speeds. Thanks
A lift kit on an IFS vehicle doesn't really have an effect on what size tires will fit. The same applies to the ahc setting. The arc that the wheel travels stays the same.

Yep, fine around town on N and offroad on H. No box. You sure know you have some big heavy tires on there though! (not that the AHC box would help that but just be prepared for some significant rolling resistance)

Cool, thanks. How many miles do you have on them now? How are they holding up?

Totally newbie to IH8MUD. Any advice is appreciated. I have an '06 LX 470 with 275/65/R18s, and I am about to replace the tires. Would a 33'' tire work on my vehicle with AHC suspension? Likely going with the Revos due to all the fans in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom