LX470 Headlight Retrofit Company (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All all I wanted to reach out to the community to see if anyone had sent their OEM LX470 glass headlights to a company for retrofit upgrade? I had bought one of those Eagle Eyes headlights to give the LX an updated look, but just not too happy with the light output. At this point I am ready to spend some money to have things done right and get a company to retrofit the OEM headlights. I know multiple people have done the retrofit themselves, but that is not something I am comfortable doing and would rather send them out to be done right.

I was able to purchase Morimoto bulbs with their own ballasts, and wire them into the existing headlight housing, plug and play. They made such a huge difference, I did the same with the foglights, all for about $400 in parts. Probably the easiest and most impactful upgrade for the money.

My 2005 LX470 headlight plastic is fogging / yellowing. Seems most here aren't in favor of any aftermarket halo light housing but it seems like a cost worthy option to get new lenses. I don't want to spend $$$ for HID retrofit either.

I've also seen where you can buy the acrylic lenses and sealer. Anyone have experience replacing original light covers with this solution or am I just going to waste $.

My 2005 LX470 headlight plastic is fogging / yellowing. Seems most here aren't in favor of any aftermarket halo light housing but it seems like a cost worthy option to get new lenses. I don't want to spend $$$ for HID retrofit either.

I've also seen where you can buy the acrylic lenses and sealer. Anyone have experience replacing original light covers with this solution or am I just going to waste $.

I don't know anything about the quality of the lenses (longevity, etc.) but it's pretty easy to bake the headlights and swap the lenses out. I swapped to glass from the older models when I did mine—look for the parting out threads, or cheaper units on eBay or something.

I don't know anything about the quality of the lenses (longevity, etc.) but it's pretty easy to bake the headlights and swap the lenses out. I swapped to glass from the older models when I did mine—look for the parting out threads, or cheaper units on eBay or something.
Might give it a try. Not a whole lot to lose. Thanks.

I was able to purchase Morimoto bulbs with their own ballasts, and wire them into the existing headlight housing, plug and play. They made such a huge difference, I did the same with the foglights, all for about $400 in parts. Probably the easiest and most impactful upgrade for the money.
Can ou provide More detail on this. My understanding was you needed to install a bracket to the housing to make the bulbs line up correctly.

So we can use the glass off older lx headlights just not the complete assembly in 05 and newer LX's. Is that correct?

So we can use the glass off older lx headlights just not the complete assembly in 05 and newer LX's. Is that correct?

I don't know anything about the assemblies themselves, but the lenses shoudl be a straight swap. They were for my '03.

If you need to buy some time for yellowing HL lenses... just wet sand them and paint with 2K catalyzed Clear Coat (or have a body shop shoot some clear) .... it'll stay crystal clear for many yrs. Some of mine have held up for 10yrs out in the sun every day. No buffing or polishing whatsoever.

If you want more lighting output... Throw in a HID kit and a spot of JB weld to cover up the 2 little dots (holes) in the stock projector.
This is a huge, easy jump in lighting from the stock Halogen bulbs.

If you want BEST lighting output, bake open the HL assemblies and use LBW adapter kit for the Morimoto Projectors
This method has a sharp cutoff, and they also have Hi+Low beams function in a single projector.

It is a really bad idea to put in HID bulbs in the lenses designed for halogen bulbs. You will blind the oncoming traffic - please, please don't be one of those fools running around blinding ppl!

What @Luke111 provides is a pair of brackets you can use to mount the proper HID lenses from Morimoto. That way all the light stays down low and provides a nice sharp cut off!

Can ou provide More detail on this. My understanding was you needed to install a bracket to the housing to make the bulbs line up correctly.

It is a really bad idea to put in HID bulbs in the lenses designed for halogen bulbs. You will blind the oncoming traffic - please, please don't be one of those fools running around blinding ppl!

What @Luke111 provides is a pair of brackets you can use to mount the proper HID lenses from Morimoto. That way all the light stays down low and provides a nice sharp cut off!
I forgot to mention,.. if you run Hid in stock projectors, it works great, but definitely re-aim the light (and plug the 2 little holes). After that its perfectly fine. i ran ours with HID bulbs in stock projectors for 15years in our Lx470 with no issues, and without blinding anyone.

I forgot to mention,.. if you run Hid in stock projectors, it works great, but definitely re-aim the light (and plug the 2 little holes). After that its perfectly fine. i ran ours with HID bulbs in stock projectors for 15years in our Lx470 with no issues, and without blinding anyoone

Can you please share how you plug the 2 little holes?

Can you please share how you plug the 2 little holes?
With the HL assy off the car, and the bulb out, look into the projector and you will see 2 little holes... about 3mm or so.
What I did personally was use a disposable chopstick (with the squarish ends) and put a dab of JB Weld (mixed of course) on it.

Then slide the stick in and dab the hole w/ JBWeld... it will cover it up easily. Do that for the other holes inside the stock projector shroud.
Pretty simple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom