lx450 stock suspention dangerous? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lx450landcruiser

Threads
Bottom line is i am looking for as many reasons to convince my doctor-father that a new suspention is needed for safe driving. I have the money to put the 2.5 inch lift but hes not that into off roading and hes a doctor worried about roll overs and stuff like that (too many years in the ER) what things would you suggest i use to convince him the 2.5 lift may be better then the stock suspention.

thanks again mike

LX-Mikey,
I think you need to get yourself a job and pay for your own upgrades instead of trying to pull the wool over your Dad's eyes. Trust me on this.... he's a LOT smarter than you are. It's not even close.
:slap:
-B-
(I'll even wager $50 he knows how to spell suspension. and you obviously don't)

Bwulf

At least he is not trying to buy a motorcycle :slap:

Mike
Again, -B- is right on [damn that hurt :D] about fooling pops. You could try the direct approach [that will throw him off] and find another close LX owner w/OME, and see if you can get your father a ride to show the difference. Stock / OME still doesn't change the limitations of SUV driving. Now, new tires are a much better safety purchase then suspension [sp?]

inflated nickels worth of useless babble

Joe

Or he could do what my dad did to his LX450? He just put Rancho RS9000X shocks on with his stock springs. It makes it ride tons better. If it were me, I'd find a OME'd rig close to you and let him ride in it, preferablely drive it. If it wasn't for the height difference I think my dad would have gone OME, he says it is too high for him to get in and out of every time he drives it. He hates my J springed 35" tired 80. All he does is complain that it is too tall to get in and out of. But, the last time I talked with him on the phone he did mention he found a road he wished he would have had my 80 on. Maybe he is coming around?

im not trying to pull anything over my dad. And I am paying for the mods on my cruiser with my money. Im simply saying that he's a little worried about roll over with a higher center of gravity. I on the other hand want more clearance, I love 4 wheeling but the stock lx450 just isn't cutting it in the clearance department. However i do drive about 100 miles total a day too and from school so there's allot of highway driving as well.
I have the money to buy the lift and new tries which is what i want to do but i dunno how hell react to the 3 inches higher (3 inches cuz from what im told the lx450 sits lower also)
i do have to say that the lx is really wobbly on the road with just a slight turn of the steering wheel back and forth the whole front end dips back and forth. Just was curious what you guys thought that's all.

mike

A lift is not the way to reduce the rollover potential of an SUV. Presenting a lift this way is inaccurate at best and dishonest at worst. Add the larger tires that will then be installed will worsen the problem. I know a lot of people on this list feel their lifts and larger tires made their trucks less prone to roll over than stock, but I'd be more than happy to argue that on a new thread.

Mike, if you want the lift more than you care about your father's accurate concerns over your welfare, then follow the great tradition of youth everywhere these days and do whatever the hell you feel like. There are other ways of increasing a stock 450s offroading ability if that's truly your aim.

Doug

LX-Mikey,

I was too harsh with my first reply to you and I apologize for slamming you.

It is a fact that the COG will be higher and that alone will make a vehicle easier to roll. You will improve the body lean by installing stiffer springs and shocks. You will restore the proper steering geometry with the caster correction bushings or with the Slee HD arms. You can improve the ride (and body lean) by using the "low-lift/no-lift" OME springs with stock length shocks (OME or Toyota.)

The reality is that lifting your LX is going to make it more capable off-road; not necessarily more stable on-road, especially with high speed emergency maneuvers. You must convince your parents that you are educated about the effects of the lift and how it will impact the way your truck will handle. You have to convince your parents that you will drive responsibly, and in the unfortunate event that you are involved in an accident, you will be more protected and therefore safer than in a smaller vehicle.

I think your best approach is to convince your Dad by giving him an educated presentation and by *demonstrating* that you are a responsible driver; on road and off-road. Make a logical, unemotional case with your parents and give them as much information about the proposed modifications with pros and cons.

Good Luck,
-B-

thanks guys i understand what your saying ill try it in a little bit after i learn some more about it.

thanks again
mike

Just one thing to add here -- the stock set up on the LX does suck. Way softer than the LC. Any change to shocks/springs will be a HUGE improvement.

If it's your rig, do what the hell you want with it. In the case of the LX, I think the 2.5 OME will make a huge improvement. Just don't try to drive the thing like it's a M3!

doug

I have an LX450 than has a good ride with a stiffness that I like.

I came from a 90 range rover that was quite the wallowing pig, but isn't as bad compared to the lincoln navigator (boat towing) that lists and rolls like an ocean liner.

I read quite a bit about the softer suspension but from where I came from to where I am, I'm very happy...maybe I should ride in a real landcruiser to see what you guys mean...

Just add the Old Man EMU stock ride height springs and shocks. It will then handle better off road and on road. I added the OME stock ride height shocks on my 80 and it rides better than new. Call Sleeoffroad or go to www.sleeoffroad.com and check it out. Worked for me.

Ditto what Pitbull said. And you actually will get some lift because you are replacing the old, sagging stuff. You can honestly tell your dad that even though it appears you installed a lift, it is only back to original specs. Everbody wins.

Ed

I recently replaced my original stock LX shocks (96, 60k mi) with OEM LC shocks. I have to say that it made a huge difference in how the truck handles on road. There's more confidence in cornering and the body lean is what I would consider to be appropriate. Before the change, the truck was obviously not handling as it should. My wheeling is limited to the Pismo sand dunes and I won't be up there again until 2004 so nothing to report on the off-roading handling front. I understand you want the lift, which this obviously doesn't address, but for under $100 you can get a big improvement for that 100 mi commute each day.

Also, as Cdan reported previously, the LC and LX have the same springs - the shocks are the only difference, (i.e. the LX does not necessarily sit lower).

:cheers: Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom