lx450 rear locker wiring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My head hurts, probably from smacking it againts my rig all day installing my new rear locker axel.

I've found threads about fj80's needing rear locker wiring, but I've heard the lx450's have all the wiring ready to go.

WHERE IS IT>>?

I have the few feet of axel wiring on the axel locker, just need to finmd the pig tails on the car to plug them in

I found a six pin connector under the tow bar but there is also a second smaller prong that needs to be plugged in too.

CAN SOMEONE POST A PIC OF THE CAR_SIDE LOCATION OF THE WIRING..?

thanks fellas!

You have the floor harness that got the 5 wires to the rear quarter panel, but if you look in the EWD book, there's a sub-harness that plugs into the floor harness, and then the harness you have plugs into the rear subharness - you end up removing your harness that has the wiring for the abs senders, the new rear subharness has all that & the addional wiring to power the locker & use the position switch.

Toyota part # 82163 - 60052 : that's the rear subharness with the locker wires in it if you choose to go fully factory parts. ~ $150.

ok guys, sorry, dumb it up a bit for me.

I have about 3 to 4 feet of wiring loom comming from my new axel. That wiring loom has two 6-prong male plugs. One of the plugs has 5 pins and the second has 6 pins (one connector has a vacant pin inside of the plug).

Under my car, at the rear drivers quarter panel, I have what appears to be a 6 pin plug but it is already connected and being used.

At the center of my rear bumper, behind my tow hitch, there is a vacant unused 6 pin connecter.

Assuming I use the center vacant connector, Which connector, from my axle do I plug in.
More importantly then- what do I do with the second 6/5 pin connector comming from my axel...?

To dumb it up---The harness that goes from drivers side tailight to the passenger side tailight needs to be swapped out with one from a donor locker truck. You will also need to add 5 wires from the harness on the the drivers side firewall kick panel area all the way back to the drivers rear tailight area.

The extra plug you see in your harness is more than likely for a factory trailer wiring harness if you have a later truck....

Does any of what ive said make sense.

You don't have enough wires yet. You need to order the harness I quoted. When you get it you'll see that it replaces the harness that ties the rear corners to each other.

The connectors for each end of the harness you need are inside each rear quarter/corner. You pull the interior panels to get at the connectors.

I know it sounds funky, I know the connector you are looking at that seems like it should fit (it goes nowhere on my truck either) - trust me, I just went through all you're seeing less than 2 months ago myself. You need the subharness I quoted - maybe get it off a wrecked truck.

If you have the EWD book I can quote you the page & part ID so you see for yourself that there's an intermediary harness.

makes sense.

So the unused plug at the center of the rear bumper would be for a trailer wiring application? Essentially the second plug from my axel harness can plug into that?

Not that I would need to, I have what appears to be an aftermarket wiring harness dangeling under my car, more than likely from a previous owner.

Even with the sub harness you probably wont have the wiring going to the main harness for your truck. Toyota left out 5 wires that go from main harness to the rear sub harness connector. The 5 wires needed to make the locker work.

Linus, did your late model truck have those 5 wires or did you have to add them?

Will

The "mystery plug" isn't even for the trailer wiring kit. I have/use one of those too & it uses the 2 (maybe 3?) connecters that have the spades in a "T" formation in the plugs. Maybe they were black & clearish plastic connectors on factory side right next to that mystery plug.

Just forget you ever saw that plug - it just messes with you. Just get the harness & R&R, when you do you'll clearly see the 2 plugs you need for the locker harness hanging off it in the DS rear corner.

Linus, did your late model truck have those 5 wires or did you have to add them?

Will

Nope - I bought a new locker floor harness as well as that rear intermediary subharness. I'm crazy O/C, and I wanted all the body connecters present & working to ward off body rattles. Worth it to me, especially when you get a big bubblewrap bag with all shiney new connectors hanging off the harness.

I keep hearing that LX450 floor harnesses are all lockered, but I've yet to see picture proof - since this dude has a LX450 it sounds like he's got another of the ones with the extra 5 wires. Maybe it is true?

Off question but worth noting, the factory connectors that are other end of connection for the locker harness isn't supported any longer (I asked Dan) - so you either lop off your end & go custom, t-tap it, or buy a intermediary harness to get the factory connector there.

Subscribed! Hoping to pick up a set of locked axles this summer!

ok guys, sorry, dumb it up a bit for me.

I have about 3 to 4 feet of wiring loom comming from my new axel. That wiring loom has two 6-prong male plugs. One of the plugs has 5 pins and the second has 6 pins (one connector has a vacant pin inside of the plug).

Under my car, at the rear drivers quarter panel, I have what appears to be a 6 pin plug but it is already connected and being used.

At the center of my rear bumper, behind my tow hitch, there is a vacant unused 6 pin connecter.

Assuming I use the center vacant connector, Which connector, from my axle do I plug in.
More importantly then- what do I do with the second 6/5 pin connector comming from my axel...?

1. ABS and Diff lock connectors.

2. 6 pin plugs currently use is for your ABS connector.

3. Vacant 6 pin connector is use for subtank.

4 and 5, search is your friend as seen here on post 21 in this thread: https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/113251-retro-fitting-oem-lockers-wiring-harness-2.html

Have fun!:wrench::beer::cool:

Hmm,

Thats weird, some have the 5 wires going from the main firewall harness to the rear and some dont. Wonder what gives on that. And why would they just do it for an lx. That doesnt make much sense. But those guys over there are way smarter than me.

Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

(I actually posted the question while at my friends house (Scouthead) who was helping me with the axle install. I didn't realize his computer was logged on for his name.

I'll consult my wiring diagram book today and look for the connectors too.

Are the connectors under my car or inside/interior?

I need to pull apart my interior today too anyways, my rear hatch door wont open. That is a whole nother problem. Last week it stopped working. I can't open from the outside or inside. It is completely not responsive if I use the key outside or with the interior or exterior door lever, or the interior door pull rod....

I swapped axles from a 96 fzj80 to a 96lx450. I did have to get that harness from spare tire area to rear taillight well. I also had to make a ground, but can't remember why (it's been a couple of years). However, as has been reported, my LX DID HAVE the 5-wire harness from DS front to DS rear.
p.s. You're gonna love it. It's awesome to turn the knob and see the dash indicator light up for the first time...and even better when you're easily going through what would've gotten you stuck before.

I still have not gotten to pulling apart my rear interior to source all the wiring I need, hopefully sometime this week I'll find time.

I have found a few people on the site parting out locked rigs. I was hoping to get the rear sub harness used from them for cheaper than calling CDAn.

Can anyone provide pics of the rear sub-harness I need, or a detailed description of where it is, what it looks like.

Everyone I emailed is asking for a description of the harness so they can ensure they send me the correct part.

Since I don't have the harness in hand, or know exactly where it plugs into and/or where/how it's routed I can't provide the info to procure the part I need.

Thanks in advance fellas!

I still have not gotten to pulling apart my rear interior to source all the wiring I need, hopefully sometime this week I'll find time.

I was hoping to get the rear sub harness used from them for cheaper than calling CDAn.

Can anyone provide pics of the rear sub-harness I need, or a detailed description of where it is, what it looks like.

Since I don't have the harness in hand, or know exactly where it plugs into and/or where/how it's routed I can't provide the info to procure the part I need.

Thanks in advance fellas!

Look at the link I provided, take a hard look at both pictures on post #21, there you will see the big plug to where you connect the short 5 wire harness that I believe you cannot buy from Toyota. That big plug is under the jack mount inside the rear quarter panel. Read post #38 on the same link that listed the pin numbers which will be easier for you to identify once you get time to pull apart your rear interior wiring.

You're making this harder than it really is - look under your truck at the harness that has that extra little plug we talked about (subtank, it seems) - it goes in a straight line along the rear crossmember of the frame & has a body grommet on either end to keep it watertight. It's simply a matter of getting under there & looking & pulling both rear interior quarterpanels & tracing/undoing the connectors that use the rubber grommet.

Noel's picture in his link (1st one) of the body grommet should make it easy for your sellers too - or tell them to take the harness that plugs into the rear locker harness. There are a couple little connectors aside from the big square plug, but since they use the grommet, they will make themselves known. Once they/you pull the panels it will show itself. You'll kick yourself at how easy this all is once you pull the panels & see 1st-hand.

I pulled my panels to day. It makes perfect sense.

I need the plug from my axel and the leaders/wires (5 of them) that insert into the 20-pin plug under the jack mount.

I think my confusion was I thought It was a plug, with wires, that led to a second plug that needed to plug into a vacant plug somewhere else.

Although that is technically correct (the 20-pin plug) I just need to insert the 5-pins into that plug, not a plug into a vacant plug...:bounce:

Now that I saw it for myself, post 21 link makes perfect sense.:whoops:

I'm doing the same project on my 96 Lexus. I checked my harness at the left rear quarter and found that the wires for lockers were in the main harness, but not in the rear subharness.

Addendum: I guess I was right. After I changed the subharness out and installed the axle harness, the lockers worked.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom