LX450 Flare and Door panel removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
community.webshots.com
Yes, I searched and there are plenty of posts on removing the flares but I could not find anything on the door plastic for the LX450.

I ripped off the rear flare again last weeked and I am thinking I should just ditch the plastic crap.

Is there a need to remove the interior door panels to get to bolts like the flares have or do they just pop off?

i took mine off recently and we just grabbed it and started pulling. there were a few bolts on the front fenders and on the rear quarters but we got the bolts out after tearing the flares and body cladding off. there arent any bolts on the doors, just clips and few rivets that have to be drilled out on the rear doors. grab and tear!

Welcome to mud! :flipoff2::beer::flipoff2:

Did you have a thousand small holes to fill and paint when you took the plastic "armor" off??

the question for you is, "will you want to sell the panels or ditch them?"

if you plan on selling them, then you'll want to be VERY careful...if not, then it doesn't matter what you do.

:hillbilly:

I removed the interior door panels when I took my (exterior) panels off. IIRC, there are couple screw ends that should be unscrewed...but again...if you don't care about saving the panels, then simply loosen a corner and pry the panels off.

You'll end up with about 50 or so holes on each side (about a 100 total, give or take). I had them taped and covered with bedliner.

It's not a tough job...just a little time-consuming.

Welcome to mud! :flipoff2::beer::flipoff2:

Did you have a thousand small holes to fill and paint when you took the plastic "armor" off??

I am sure there will be plenty of holes. Prob just fill with bondo and have it line-x'd.

the question for you is, "will you want to sell the panels or ditch them?"

if you plan on selling them, then you'll want to be VERY careful...if not, then it doesn't matter what you do.

:hillbilly:

I removed the interior door panels when I took my (exterior) panels off. IIRC, there are couple screw ends that should be unscrewed...but again...if you don't care about saving the panels, then simply loosen a corner and pry the panels off.

You'll end up with about 50 or so holes on each side (about a 100 total, give or take). I had them taped and covered with bedliner.

It's not a tough job...just a little time-consuming.

Had the holes taped? What kind of tape? Does the tape cause raised areas in the liner? That would be much easier than spending a weekend with some bondo.

This might be a future mod for me too. I have ripped off my flaps before, but not any flares yet. I'll prolly line-x it afterwards. I'd like to see some pics if anyone has any.

Had the holes taped? What kind of tape? Does the tape cause raised areas in the liner? That would be much easier than spending a weekend with some bondo.

it was some sort of metal tape. oddly enough, it had the opposite effect -- on some of the holes that were taped, you can see indentations from where the bedliner was sprayed on.

I had my liner goo sprayed on "prefessionally" a couple years back. The pressure from the sprayer must've forced it inward. It's not all that noticeable, but if you're a perfectionist (which I'm not all that much), it might bother you some.

If I were to do it again, I'd likely just skim a rough coat of bondo over all the holes. There's really no need to be perfect with the stuff, just get it in there to cover the holes -- especially if you're just going to put liner over it.

This might be a future mod for me too. I have ripped off my flaps before, but not any flares yet. I'll prolly line-x it afterwards. I'd like to see some pics if anyone has any.

I have a couple somewhere -- search for ROTW and NorCalDoug if you want to see some of mine...

oh nevermind...here are a couple from that thread...

attachment.php

attachment.php

I saw in the "Show off your body damage" thread that you ripped off your driver side rear flare.

The same day, I posted a that I had just ripped off my passenger side rear flare.

I was going to try to epoxy mine back together, but if you want to sell your passenger side rear flare and don't destroy it in the removal process, I'd be interested. PM me if this sounds good.
his.jpg
mine.jpg

I was going to remove mine but after a tree removed the passenger rear flare, I decided I like them. I see them as a safety or circuit breaker before real body damage occurs. It is much easier to repair the plastic flare than repair sheet metal damage.

I was going to remove mine but after a tree removed the passenger rear flare, I decided I like them. I see them as a safety or circuit breaker before real body damage occurs. It is much easier to repair the plastic flare than repair sheet metal damage.

LOL.

I thought the same back when I had them on...but there's quite a bit of damage that goes on behind the scenes...if you know what I mean.

;)

I have a few requests for body panels and I will give them out in the order I received the request.

...if you want to sell your passenger side rear flare and don't destroy it in the removal process, I'd be interested.

I have a few requests for body panels and I will give them out in the order I received the request.

You can take me off the list, Vistataco. I reattached the mounting tabs this weekend with some Loctite Hysol epoxy (cured with a ceramic disc heater) and put the panels back on the truck.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom