Builds LX450: Baja surf trip build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It was pretty nerve racking putting the first coat on. Lots of jokes about destroying a perfectly good Lexus. My neighbors didn't seem stoked on the s*** show unfolding on their street. Though one neighbor was very cool and encouraging about the whole thing. There was the chance of light rain the next day so he offered to let us park the truck in his car port. Turns out we would have been screwed if he hadn't offered. Weather took a turn for the worst.

Hear are some Photos of the first coat. Didn't get a shot of the completed truck as it was getting too dark. Wife wants to add some black accents on the trim stripe and door handles.

IMG_2569.JPG

IMG_2566.JPG

IMG_2565.JPG

Last edited:
It will be nice to start putting the truck back together. Wife let me order a 4x4 lab rear bumper to hold the spare, fuel and water. I would also like to add a 5lb propane bottle somehow using this bracket. anybody got any ideas?

AT-5-lb-propane-bracket-1__29364.1296154823.451.416.jpg

The Monstaliner is definitely worth it, I've had the lower half of my LX done for 6 months and I have zero complaints.

I decided not to do my roof at the last minute because of those rubber strips, they are the worst.

The wife isn't happy with how even the Monstaline is. Going to do a third coat. Do you need to scuff it again? On our touch up coat this seemed to cause some issues. Any thoughts?

Pictures....

Sorry meant pictures of the issues your having with the liner stuff.

Sorry meant pictures of the issues your having with the liner stuff.
Will have to take some. Mostly minor imperfections, want to make it as perfect as possible (as rolled on paint gets)

Do you think an awning is a good idea and worth the weight, complexity, and expense?

Not answering for zapata, but they weigh little and can be set up by one person in a minute. They provide nice shade. My ARB isn't exactly waterproof though it does provide some protection in a light misty rain. I think bang for buck it is pretty solid investment.

image.jpeg

Hey guys wanted to pick your collective brains on suspension. In the next week my truck will have the following added to it.

• Rear 4x4 labs bumper
  • Arb front bumper with M8000 winch
  • Safari Rack Roof Rack
  • 150lb Tepui White lightening RTT
Trying to figure out what the smart buy is on suspension. I want to keep the truck pretty low but maybe bump up to 35s one day. Torn between the new slinky springs (50mm) or getting the OME 2.5 inch lift with either Slee or Icon shocks. It seems like the slinky spring cost double the OME springs. Is it worth it?

The whole slinky package is quite costly but if I was building my truck today that is what I would go with. Seems the setup and shock tuning is spot on. If you are already wanting to go with an advanced shock I believe it is worth going the direction of an entire package designed to take weight.

The trick will be if the springs are available.

Regarding 35" tires I say meh. I have them and would switch to BFG 255/85r17s in a heartbeat. At one point a nearly new set of 5 were on craigs. I should have jumped on them.

It will be nice to start putting the truck back together. Wife let me order a 4x4 lab rear bumper to hold the spare, fuel and water. I would also like to add a 5lb propane bottle somehow using this bracket. anybody got any ideas?

View attachment 1341184

you can find the tank holder at any Cargo van web site.

the liner looks good to me, what color is that?

Dan, I gotta stop by one of these nights. If you need some manpower let me know.

View attachment 1341184
As far as propane, we've mounted ours on the roof rack for a while now with no problems but I've been looking at the same mount you posted to go on the ladder on the Slee bumper.

Dan, I gotta stop by one of these nights. If you need some manpower let me know.

As far as propane, we've mounted ours on the roof rack for a while now with no problems but I've been looking at the same mount you posted to go on the ladder on the Slee bumper.
4x4 labs is going to fab something custom for me to put the that bracket onto the three can holder

My own take on the suspension...

I've got front/rear bumpers, winch, thick sliders, bring 15 gal gas, 10 gallons of water, most my tools, camp gear, surf & dive gear, spare 35" tire, etc... Pretty heavy when going down to the "back country".

I run OME 864 in the rear and 863J in the front. All that weight in the rear, I needed the extra extra heavy duty 864's that I really don't see that many people running. The slinky springs from what I remember are more geared towards crawling and less weight (I could be wrong).

Where I think you should invest in your suspension is shocks. There's some stretches of dirt roads that you can drive on all day. A typical emulsion style shock will overheat and you'll experience shock fade within an hour...and possibly blown shocks (I never had a blown shock fwiw though). I have noticed a much better handling rig with the remote reservoir design. If I had the money, I'd probably go with King or the Slee. I enjoy my Fox 2.0's but am going to shoot for a 2.5" body in the coming year or 2.

I'm pretty similarly setup with 864 and run about 7200# loaded up.

Springs suspend your load and give you your static height. The important thing is that you match your truck weight to the correct spring rate. Too much weight on a set of springs and you will get bottoming out, wallow, excessive sway and bad handling, less than expected ride height. Too little weight over a set of coils and the ride will be rough, shock topout, stiff ride.

The shocks do the dampening and control the up and down movement (compression and rebound) as you drive and really make the biggest difference in ride quality. Heavy weight and demanding conditions off road put shocks thru a lot and like @bajaphile said, better shocks resist fade and lockout better which is really where ride quality is improved.
I've analyzed the slinky kits and 80 suspension quite a bit and I don't see much benefit or increased travel in the slinky kit if you are running 33s. Personally I love the SLEE 4" kit and wish I just went straight for that instead of trying to keep it budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom