LX Owners.... How Big? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just ordered a set of 18 inch Tundra TRD wheels and Lexus OEM TMPS sensors ($ouch$) for my 2021 LX. Now I just need to decide on tire size for either KO2's or K03's. Two questions:

1. How big of a tire can I go on 18's while leaving everything stock and no rubbing? (Adding spacers is probably ok, just don't want to do any trimming or modifying on my 2021 LX.... yet...)
2. I have the original 21 inch wheels for my wife to drive the kids to soccer practice. This second set (which explains the cloned 2nd set of TPMS sensors) will only be used for weekend adventures. Considering I'll only be using the 2nd tire setup for off road adventures, do I dare go with K03's and deal with the noise considering I won't be using those tires for my daily driver). ***I had K03's on my FJ Cruiser and they were very loud!

Black on black with LC200 powder coated 18” Michelin LTX AT2 275/65/18.
Happy with the look and performance.
You could easily go larger.

98BB2429-5439-400F-8497-FAF5254C7BE9.jpeg

275/70/18 is an easy 33” fit.

Butttt you can go much bigger with a little more work. I run a 295/70/18 (34.5”), @radman runs 305/70/18f @TeCKis300 runs 35x12.5, @grinchy running a skinny 35.

I assume you guys are referring to KM3s not KO3s?

Also new OE TPMS will not be clones of the originals, and you will need to program the vehicle for the sensor IDs any time you swap wheel sets. It is not hard with Carista or tech stream. If you are referring to actual “clone” sensors that are configured to broadcast with the original IDs negating the need to program the vehicle every time this is different but they won’t be OE or OE quality.

275/70/18
I ran 275/70/18 KO2s for a few months before I went up to 305s, and you don’t even need spacers for them. I think I only had to remove the front m flaps.

However, your plastics might be different on that gnarly new front bumper, and the KO2s run small.

for what it’s worth, I had big plans of swapping in and out of my stockies, but I prefer the cushiness you get with more rubber. I think I’ve only put on the stocks 3 times in the last 2 years…

Brave to ask the how big question. Here’s the database on what fits.

Don’t get KO3s if you’ve tried them and not liked them. Same answer as you got from another member in your first thread on 2 sets of tir

I assume you guys are referring to KM3s not KO3s?

Also new OE TPMS will not be clones of the originals, and you will need to program the vehicle for the sensor IDs any time you swap wheel sets. It is not hard with Carista or tech stream. If you are referring to actual “clone” sensors that are configured to broadcast with the original IDs negating the need to program the vehicle every time this is different but they won’t be OE or OE quality.
Just ordered Carista... seems like a good route to go.

33" ish is the largest tire you can go without rubbing/modification plus it will fit in the spare (which I think can take up to a 34" tire). I am currently running the new Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T in 285/65R18 on 18in Tundra wheels. These are 33.2in OD tires (with 19/32in deep threads) so it rubbed slightly on the front mudflaps on full lock. I modified the front mud flaps by bending the inner portion toward the frame by .5in to create a concave shape and now I have no rubbing at all. Alternative is to just remove the front mudflaps. Alignments are in spec as well. I am not running any spacers. The Tundra rim (426110C160) specs are 18" x 8" with an offset of 60mm. Noise level is probably the same as the KO2 and I can't really hear it when the windows are closed.

The Baja Boss A/T tires are more aggressive than the KO2 that I have on my 4Runner and GX. The sidewall grips are even more beefier. They are in between an A/T and M/T tire. They are not dedicated M/T like the KM3 though.

20210710_200727.jpg

20210710_152911.jpg

20210710_204104.jpg

20210714_194559.jpg

20210710_200703.jpg

I forgot to mention that LT285/65R18 KO2 and KM3 have an OD of 32.6in. The Baja Boss A/T is 0.6 in taller with an OD of 33.2in so it will rub slightly.

I ran 275/70/18 KO2s for a few months before I went up to 305s, and you don’t even need spacers for them. I think I only had to remove the front m flaps.

However, your plastics might be different on that gnarly new front bumper, and the KO2s run small.

for what it’s worth, I had big plans of swapping in and out of my stockies, but I prefer the cushiness you get with more rubber. I think I’ve only put on the stocks 3 times in the last 2 years…
33" ish is the largest tire you can go without rubbing/modification plus it will fit in the spare (which I think can take up to a 34" tire). I am currently running the new Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T in 285/65R18 on 18in Tundra wheels. These are 33.2in OD tires (with 19/32in deep threads) so it rubbed slightly on the front mudflaps on full lock. I modified the front mud flaps by bending the inner portion toward the frame by .5in to create a concave shape and now I have no rubbing at all. Alternative is to just remove the front mudflaps. Alignments are in spec as well. I am not running any spacers. The Tundra rim (426110C160) specs are 18" x 8" with an offset of 60mm. Noise level is probably the same as the KO2 and I can't really hear it when the windows are closed.

The Baja Boss A/T tires are more aggressive than the KO2 that I have on my 4Runner and GX. The sidewall grips are even more beefier. They are in between an A/T and M/T tire. They are not dedicated M/T like the KM3 though.

View attachment 2739816

View attachment 2739817

View attachment 2739818

View attachment 2739820

View attachment 2739821
Now this is something to consider! Have they performed well for you?
Love the big brother/little brother garage!

I forgot to mention that LT285/65R18 KO2 and KM3 have an OD of 32.6in. The Baja Boss A/T is 0.6 in taller with an OD of 33.2in so it will rub slightly.
Where did you get them? They seem to be in short supply.

Really sweet looking tire, how do they compare to KO2s on the street/highway?

Now this is something to consider! Have they performed well for you?
Love the big brother/little brother garage!
I have only used them in the sand (Oregon/Washington beach) since I got them installed 2 weeks ago. Subjectively, it feels the same as the KO2. I will have to wait till the rainy/snow season to see how well they perform. I got these over the KO2 primarily for better mud performance due to the weather in the Pacific Northwest from October to March.
Where did you get them? They seem to be in short supply.
The Baja Boss A/T tires are hard to come by. I ordered them on 4Wheel Parts but there are a few online vendors that also offer them. Discount Tires (America's Tire in Cali) do not have them. I called them to see if they can order the tires but they wouldn't. There is a long delay for shipping since I ordered them back in early June 2021.
Really sweet looking tire, how do they compare to KO2s on the street/highway?
They are just a tiny bit louder than the KO2 on the street/highway and perform about the same. They do have more siping so I hope they will perform better in the rain.

I just ordered the Baja Boss in the 285/65/18. These will be going on a set of the black bbs tundra wheels. I'll update once we get them on.

As a side note.... I went for a little drive up the canyon by my house over the weekend and ruined the sidewall on one of the stock 21's. Those babies are $500 a tire! It was cool to see that the spare was the same wheel and tire as the other 4.... looks like the spare will be replaced with something a little less expensive :)

View attachment 2739816

View attachment 2739817

View attachment 2739818

View attachment 2739820

View attachment 2739821
Have you done anything to lift you LX? That looks more than just a sensor lift....

Don't know if your Tundra TRD wheels are the similar to the LC HE wheels but after swapping out for the HE wheels (on Toyo AT3 275/70/18s btw) there was no tire rubbing but there was very little clearance with the front brake calipers on my '08 LX. This led to adding 1.25" spacers to get a bit more clearance which in turn created some rubbing on front mudflaps. Solution for now is to run without the mudflaps until I have time to mess with figuring out if they can be easily modified/reshaped.

Don't know if your Tundra TRD wheels are the similar to the LC HE wheels but after swapping out for the HE wheels (on Toyo AT3 275/70/18s btw) there was no tire rubbing but there was very little clearance with the front brake calipers on my '08 LX. This led to adding 1.25" spacers to get a bit more clearance which in turn created some rubbing on front mudflaps. Solution for now is to run without the mudflaps until I have time to mess with figuring out if they can be easily modified/reshaped.
Interesting, I hadn’t heard this. I assume the tundra trd’s and the LC HE are basically the same wheel... seems like this would be a standard issue for any 200 LX running 18 inch TRDs. I know there are a number of guys running that setup so I’ll have to do some research. I’d prefer to not add spacers if I can get away with it.

Can you share a pic of the LC HE on your LX?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom