LS Swap Alternator Wiring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I've searched for answers all through here and cant find anything concrete, I believe that is contributed to varying wiring colors through the years on the Toyota side.

I have an '03 5.3l LM7 with a 4 pin GM alternator that came with that motor originally, going into an '82 2F truck.

The original toyota alternator had a large white wire with ring terminal (this originally went to the lug on the alternator), it the had a green plug with a 10-12ga white wire and a small yellow wire. The large white wire runs to the charge light fuse, the yellow wire I am unsure about.

I always see posts about a yellow black wire at this location as well, this part confuses me.

I'm going to be running new large gauge line from the alt to the starter lug (then to the battery), the old toyota white wire that went on the alt lug I removed at the splice near the batter as it is still tied to the batter but wont be needed since I'm running new from the GM alternator to the battery.

From there I need assistance, the charge light relay circuit is a bit odd but from what I gather the small yellow wire get tapped into the "S" pin on the GM alt plug.

The other white wire that was in the toyota plug I am unsure what to do with!

Pic below for reference, thanks!

52738764448_9b870a1817_b.jpg

So I've searched for answers all through here and cant find anything concrete, I believe that is contributed to varying wiring colors through the years on the Toyota side.

I have an '03 5.3l LM7 with a 4 pin GM alternator that came with that motor originally, going into an '82 2F truck.

The original toyota alternator had a large white wire with ring terminal (this originally went to the lug on the alternator), it the had a green plug with a 10-12ga white wire and a small yellow wire. The large white wire runs to the charge light fuse, the yellow wire I am unsure about.

I always see posts about a yellow black wire at this location as well, this part confuses me.

I'm going to be running new large gauge line from the alt to the starter lug (then to the battery), the old toyota white wire that went on the alt lug I removed at the splice near the batter as it is still tied to the batter but wont be needed since I'm running new from the GM alternator to the battery.

From there I need assistance, the charge light relay circuit is a bit odd but from what I gather the small yellow wire get tapped into the "S" pin on the GM alt plug.

The other white wire that was in the toyota plug I am unsure what to do with!

Pic below for reference, thanks!

52738764448_9b870a1817_b.jpg
Did you ever get an answer to the Alternator question?

I'm 90% sure I wired mine from here:

Specifically -->

White wire to Alt. Lug

Yellow wire to Alt. Plug marked S

Low voltage Black and yellow to Red wire on alt plug of harness.

Hope that helps...

- Brian

I'm 90% sure I wired mine from here:

Specifically -->

White wire to Alt. Lug

Yellow wire to Alt. Plug marked S

Low voltage Black and yellow to Red wire on alt plug of harness.

Hope that helps...

- Brian
Thanks Brian, and what year motor did you swap into your Cruiser? Mine is a 2000 out of a Tahoe

I have a 2001 6.0 and fwiw the 4 prong alt plug only has 2 wires in it. I do not have a stock wiring so didnt have to worry about tying into the trouble light.
I do know that the alt wont charge if you have a batt isolator. Got rid of that and just run 2 batts hooked together. To cheap to get a blue sea or vitron and I have seen those things burn down a rig, I choose KISS when it comes to batts, hook em up, get 110+ watts of solar, never worry bout power again.

I have a 2001 6.0 and fwiw the 4 prong alt plug only has 2 wires in it. I do not have a stock wiring so didnt have to worry about tying into the trouble light.
I do know that the alt wont charge if you have a batt isolator. Got rid of that and just run 2 batts hooked together. To cheap to get a blue sea or vitron and I have seen those things burn down a rig, I choose KISS when it comes to batts, hook em up, get 110+ watts of solar, never worry bout power again.
For sure, thanks for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom