LRA 40 Gallon aux tank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SSG

Threads
So I have a LRA 40 gallon aux fuel tank on the way for my 2017 LC 200, and I saw that companies like SLEE install theirs with a better fuel pump, better hoses and fittings as does Ed Martin Toyota on their installs. I contacted SLEE but they do not sell these upgrades as a kit.

Does anyone know any part numbers for the upgraded fuel pump, which I think is a Precision Pump from Oreilley's but there are many so not sure which part number would work.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/brands/a/precision-fuel-pumps/ofp

I believe this is the breather filter in the Ed Martin Toyota video linked below:

https://www.autozone.com/intake-sys...US:EN:AD:NL:1000000:GEN:10758688450&gclsrc=ds

If anyone has any suggestions for upgraded fuel pump, hoses, stainless steel fittings/clamps/plumbing kit and upgraded breather filter, I would greatly appreciate the suggestions. You can see what items I am speaking of here in Ed Martin Toyota video:

I am having this installed by a shop so if anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it.
Thanks!

I’d like to know why these things aren’t already standard with these

I agree. Really a joke LRA continues to use cheap components. I say this as a former customer who upgraded my tank pump, fittings, and hoses after the dinky stock pump failed twice. They’ve had plenty of time to improve on things. Glad there’s shops like Slee around that care about doing things right and think about what’s best for customers long term.

Reactions: SSG
So I have a LRA 40 gallon aux fuel tank on the way for my 2017 LC 200, and I saw that companies like SLEE install theirs with a better fuel pump, better hoses and fittings as does Ed Martin Toyota on their installs. I contacted SLEE but they do not sell these upgrades as a kit.

Does anyone know any part numbers for the upgraded fuel pump, which I think is a Precision Pump from Oreilley's but there are many so not sure which part number would work.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/brands/a/precision-fuel-pumps/ofp

I believe this is the breather filter in the Ed Martin Toyota video linked below:

https://www.autozone.com/intake-sys...US:EN:AD:NL:1000000:GEN:10758688450&gclsrc=ds

If anyone has any suggestions for upgraded fuel pump, hoses, stainless steel fittings/clamps/plumbing kit and upgraded breather filter, I would greatly appreciate the suggestions. You can see what items I am speaking of here in Ed Martin Toyota video:

I agree. Really a joke LRA continues to use cheap components. I say this as a former customer who upgraded my tank pump, fittings, and hoses after the dinky stock pump failed twice. They’ve had plenty of time to improve on things. Glad there’s shops like Slee around that care about doing things right and think about what’s best for customers long term.

I was told today by Cruiser Outfitters, who just received my 12.5g tank that LRA includes an upgraded installation kit including pump now. I'll confirm that when they install it in mid August. First time I heard that!
I am having this installed by a shop so if anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it.
Thanks!

That's great to hear if true. I guess @SSG can confirm when he gets his tank. I wonder if it is true since Slee is still installing with their upgraded components. So, maybe LRA "upgraded installation kit" is not up to Slee's specs?

I’d like to know why these things aren’t already standard with these
I have an email out to LRA, they have been very responsive. Once I hear back if they are including the new upgrades, I will update here. I definitely want my install done with upgraded fuel pump, breather filter, hoses, fittings. From the Ed Martin video you can clearly see the upgrades are a major improvement in robustness, quality, etc.

I used a faster pump as a fairly early adopter…(first 24 gallin tank behind a Slee bumper), but I kinda cringe hearing digs at LRA. Because… We’d be basically sh—out of luck without them in our relatively TINY US version 200 market…or spending fortunes on custom tanks almost no one wants to stand behind. We are itty bitty compared to Australian and UAE markets for these. Amazing we ever got them.

Were it not for the guys over at LRA, and its original importers via @wardharris and his business partner Georg…we’d have squat.

FWIW… My standard hardware (besides my alternate pump that I drummed up instead from day one) has been great since day one and its been years now. Zero failures of leaks.

I think a TON of the issues have been due to installation troubles. The original pump’s main issue was being really slow…

Its great to have upgrade options…but man, I’m mostly just grateful because my doubled capacity has been a massive game changer in all scenariis…even if filling both tanks is PAINFUL at the moment… 😳

Last edited:
I used a faster pump as a fairly early adopter…(first 24 gallin tank behind a Slee bumper), but I honestly hate hearing angry stuff thrown at LRA. Because… We’d be basically sh—out of luck without them in our relatively TINY US version 200 market…or spending fortunes on custom tanks almost no one wants to stand behind. We are itty bitty compared to Australian and UAE markets for these. Amazing we ever got them.

Were it not for the guys over at LRA, and its original importers via @wardharris and his business partner Georg…we’d have squat.

FWIW… My standard hardware (besides my alternate pump that I drummed up instead from day one) has been great since day one and its been years now. Zero failures of leaks.

I think a TON of the issues have been due to installation troubles. The original pump’s main issue was being really slow…

Its great to have yograde options…but man, I’m mostly just grateful because my doubled capacity has been a massive game changer in all scenariis…even if filling both tanks is PAINFUL at the moment… 😳
I still think they make a great product but it has been years, things need to evolve. If small changes in included hardware can mitigate some of the issues people see (and lots of people do see issues, even with seemingly correct installs) it seems reasonable for LRA to at least consider developing the kit further.

And for the record I’m not saying include all stainless hardware. Ed Martin’s kit is pretty but also overkill for the chemicals and physical environment we’re talking about.

I still think they make a great product but it has been years, things need to evolve. If small changes in included hardware can mitigate some of the issues people see (and lots of people do see issues, even with seemingly correct installs) it seems reasonable for LRA to at least consider developing the kit further.

And for the record I’m not saying include all stainless hardware. Ed Martin’s kit is pretty but also overkill for the chemicals and physical environment we’re talking about.

Ya… You are an extremely reasonable guy and a REASONED thinker I appreciate. I do get the part about the delay. Probably doesn’t help that supply lines have bit rocked the last two years…with Australia more locked down than the cookie jar in a house of dieting cookie monsters…

For my faster pump, It did also require voltage change back there that complicated things a bit. But clearly it wasn’t a big deal.

Maybe this will be inspiration for a quick entrepreneur (winks at Kurt @cruiseroutfit )who took and ran with the rear interior door lock release … another small opportunity to devise a kit and sell them here.

Ed Martin installed ours and we were all about the overkill on this modification, we even opted for line-x coating and welded armor to the bottom. Our thinking was a failure with 40 gallons of fuel would not be something we’d like to tempt, that plus kids in car seats and evacuation times… not a pretty picture with worst case scenarios.

Ya… You are an extremely reasonable guy and a REASONED thinker I appreciate. I do get the part about the delay. Probably doesn’t help that supply lines have bit rocked the last two years…with Australia more locked down than the cookie jar in a house of dieting cookie monsters…

For my faster pump, It did also require voltage change back there that complicated things a bit. But clearly it wasn’t a big deal.

Maybe this will be inspiration for a quick entrepreneur (winks at Kurt @cruiseroutfit )who took and ran with the rear interior door lock release … another small opportunity to devise a kit and sell them here.
Ah ok, yeah in the Ed Martin Toyota video, Eric mentions using a Bosch 40A relay for the upgraded fuel pump.

You guys talking about voltage back there probably points to an underlying reason the kit hasn't been upgraded. Likely the thing was developed as a system and a simple pump change requires rethinking other more significant elements.

Still, I hope this system evolves to solve common problems/complaints.

Great point.. even if it's not directly from LRA there is a market here.

This is the reply regarding upgraded pump, hoses and clamps from Cruiser Outfitters when I was ready to order my 12.5g tank back in March:
"As far as upgrades to the hoses, hardware and pump, our tech has all of the supplies and parts in the shop and performs the upgrades to all of the tanks that get installed. We don't have this as a "kit" per say and thus I don't have a breakdown of the parts they use. We've been running, selling and installing the Long Range Tanks for 3 decades now, we are confident with our install procedure and parts used."

You guys talking about voltage back there probably points to an underlying reason the kit hasn't been upgraded. Likely the thing was developed as a system and a simple pump change requires rethinking other more significant elements.

Still, I hope this system evolves to solve common problems/complaints.

Great point.. even if it's not directly from LRA there is a market here.

Re an added kit… I wonder if it might be only feasible to expect sales in conjunction with the tank install…since tank install is no small task.

Makes me think whoever builds such a kit might sell them to other installer shops, or…maybe even make a deal with LRA.

I dunno.
It really is hard to go very far inside an slready-tiny niche like this.

I’d be curious to know the total number of 290 Series LRAs sold in the US since Ward and Georg fot the import partnership rolling.

Paging @wardharris ?

We and LRA are aware of aftermarket “kits” as discussed but we only offer what LRA offers.
Hi Ward.
Nice spending some time chatting with you at the EXPO in Flagstaff.
Has LRA ever upgraded the fuel pump, hoses and clamps? Cruiser Outfitters just received my 12.5g tank and I'm scheduled there for the installation in mid -August.

I have all Park fittings/lines for my LRA tank.

Do you mean Parker?

Where did you get these and do you have part numbers or some links please?
Correct, Parker. Eric Sarjeant of Ed Martin did the work in house. I unfortunately do not have part numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom