Low Engine Oil. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Oil change done at dealer three weeks ago 129,500 miles.
Checked oil on return home, dipstick at half way mark. I filled to top mark.
Checked oil today at 130,172 and oil was 1/3 rd down on top line of dipstick.
I checked for leaks and there are none.
My 100 has never used a drop of oil, any ideas gratefully received.

If the oil is anywhere within the low to full level, it's fine. Ideally it should be at the mid-point. Filling the oil until it's at the top mark will be too much oil and can cause serious problems. With that much oil the pressure is very high and can blow past the rings.

Also, if you check your oil cold one day, then check it when the engine's hot the next it will appear much higher when hot.

If the oil is anywhere within the low to full level, it's fine. Ideally it should be at the mid-point. Filling the oil until it's at the top mark will be too much oil and can cause serious problems. With that much oil the pressure is very high and can blow past the rings.

Not so fast....:rolleyes:

First of all, the top mark is fine, don't overfill. In fact, keeping it at exactly the top mark is ideal. There is also some tolerance built into the dipstick and even a little over rarely does any harm.

Second, if it's too full, it does not cause higher oil pressure. The oil pump determines pressure, and the engine is protected from over pressure by the pressure relief valve. Instead, if the pan is too full of oil, the crank can contact the oil in the pan, causing additional parasitic drag, and potentially foaming the oil, causing then (potential) loss of pressure.

Third, Higher oil pressure will not cause oil it to blow past the rings. The oil is not pressurized at the rings. It is either splash lubricated like most cars, or has dedicated squirters like an 80 series. Either way, no additional oil blows past the rings.

Carry on....

:cheers:

Ok, I had an Jiffy-Lube over-filled car that said otherwise. Blew off the filter and washed the cylinders past the rings fouling the plugs. LC must be different, but that's good.

Last edited:
So what would cause the oil to drop in level so dramatically after never using a drop? Thoughts on the crush washer and tightness of drain plug. I did not over tighten too much in case of damaging thread.

So what would cause the oil to drop in level so dramatically after never using a drop? Thoughts on the crush washer and tightness of drain plug. I did not over tighten too much in case of damaging thread.

Its not unthinkable that it might have used some oil, try checking under similar conditions after your next oil change. I've reused the washer before without issue, but they are cheap. Just pick up a bunch when you visit the dealer.

Hard to know. Likely they are using a very light viscosity bulk oil that will have more of a tendency to burn off or leak.

If your PCV system was suddenly plugged, this can also cause increased consumption.

I would not worry about it. Check the level every fill up and just watch it. When you change it again, use better oil- and follow the use and see if it drops off. Some oil use is normal-my 80 uses 1/2 quart every 5K miles, and my FJ60 uses at least double that.

Regarding the crush washer-tighten to spec and it should be fine until your next change.

Checked oil on return home, dipstick at half way mark. I filled to top mark.
To get an accurate reading, let the engine sit for like half an hour and then check the level. And obviously check it on level ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom