Low Coolant Alarm Light (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is there a way to make the overflow coolant tank have a low level warning alarm/light?
kurt

It may be worth a trip to the junkyard....when pulling an intake off a beretta for my car, i noticed that, like mine, it had a low coolant sensor in the radiatior. it looks like it could be removed easily, and im sure you could hook up a light to it....

-Max

That would help save the motor, if you get a leak, you get a warning before it gets to hot.
kurt

Hmmm.......I like the idea of this mod.... :)

I dug this old post up and still like the idea.
Any one done this mod yet?

You can wire up the motor circuit such that the wiper won't wipe if the washer is at low level. Basically you need a normally closed contact through the "low level" float thing. No need for extra lights and other doodads.

Ali

Ali...I think the thread is about radiator overflow level, not wiper fluid.

I remember seeing this thread a long time ago and thought it was a good idea. Problem is there are so many good ideas and not enough time to do anything with them... :rolleyes:

With the holidays, maybe I'll take a run down to the radio-rat and see what I can dig up. Shouldn't really require any special sensor--it's just detecting fluid level (much like those you see advertised for your leaking hot water tank at home). But where to hook up the indicator light now... ::)

Tom

I remember on one of Christo's write ups that he used a socket in the dash for a warning light. It was a "clogged filter" light for the diesel application. It was in his remote winch control. Anyway, it was 2 rows of dots with an arrow pointing down I think. It'd look pretty good.

If you go to european car parts yards and look, many of the mercedes models (especially old 's' classes like the 560SEL) have a super slick low coolant level mechanism that could EASILY be adapted into any landcruiser. It is a sort of float that when level indicates a properly filled system and when less than level indicates a system that is thirsty for some reason. The float is already engineered to stand up to coolant and heat so you cannot go wrong. In fact, you might find that with some extra tubing, you could even place the entire overfill tank with existing coolant level mechanism into the landcruiser's engine bay. A simple on/off light in or on the dash would be as easy as it gets in terms of an indicator light. HTH Someone. :beer: For All!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom